Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
JK Rowling Publishing under a Pseudonym

JK Rowling has published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith interestingly I had recently added the book - The Cuckoo Calling to my wishlist.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...#ixzz2YypSLl1b

I hadn't purchased it as it was agency and too pricey, has any one here read it thoughts?
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
So then the author's biography as stated in the book is a complete fabrication.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
According to the Sunday Times, The Cuckoo's Calling has sold 1,500 copies in hardback so far.
Wanna bet it sells a lot more now?

The reviews are good, I put a copy at the library on hold.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
German author Hermann Hesse did something very similar when he published the novel Demian after the first World War in 1919. He thought people might find him too popular und too old-fashioned and so he published the novel under the pseudonym Emil Sinclair.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I just wish she would go away...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The book is now the #1 bestseller in books at Amazon UK, with sales up 507,500% in the last 24h.

Ravensknight, why do you wish she would go away? Do you have something against authors being successful?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
A lot of authors use pseudonyms. Some will use a different pseudonym per genre. Kind of nice to hear that the book was well received before it came out who the author was.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
A lot of authors use pseudonyms. Some will use a different pseudonym per genre. Kind of nice to hear that the book was well received before it came out who the author was.
I think it's great that she did publish under a pseudonym, rather than playing off her previous success. The Amazon reviews of the book prior to the revelation about the true identity of the author are extremely favourable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If sales were favorable, I'd have tried to keep that particular cat in the bag as long as I could. Wonder how/why it was leaked/revealed so soon?

"We've noticed that you (Galbraith) share(s) the same publisher and editor with JK Rowling. Are you (is he) JK Rowling?"
"No, of course not. That's just silly."

"Are you sure?"
"OK, yes. It's true."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-14-2013 at 09:21 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know - considering the difference in sales before vs after I can see why it was "discovered".

The experiment was obviously a success and they can claim that it was well received before people knew who it was and now it's time to rake in the money.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I don't know - considering the difference in sales before vs after I can see why it was "discovered".

The experiment was obviously a success and they can claim that it was well received before people knew who it was and now it's time to rake in the money.
That's kind of what I was thinking, too -- not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think the secret could have been kept under wraps for quite a while longer if the pseudonym was only about the ability to "publish without hype or expectation" and "pure pleasure to get feedback under a different name."

Wish I could have read it before the secret was out! Oh well... I'll still probably read it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well if it's stopped now they have some favourable reviews already up there and it's just too soon to tell whether it was not going to gain traction without her name. Sounds like a win win to me.

EDIT: How weird. I was checking out the reviews in Amazon US and I was thinking - OK, 21 5 star reviews. All the people just grabbing the book simply because it's J K Rowling won't have had a chance to read it yet. That's not bad.

Then I read these 5 star reviews and most of them are by people just leaving comments that the book is by J K Rowling in the last couple of days. No review, no indication that they've finished, or started, or even purchased the book (in most cases). It's like Amazon reviews are now the place where you leave thread postings like this one.

Maybe I should have posted this in Amazon as a review. Would just need to figure out how many stars to attach to it.

Last edited by caleb72; 07-14-2013 at 11:36 AM.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
How about this review from Amazon's reviewer Karen which was found helpful by 268 of 285 people:
Quote:
This book is so well written that I suspect that some years down the road we will hear the author's name is a pseudonym of some famous writer. Lots of description made one feel like another occupant in the scene. You could feel the weather, the tension, the pain, the atmosphere in the gatherings. The Audible version had great accents. It is a wonderful mystery with a surprise ending, and I look forward to more by the same author.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
In early May, there were favorable reviews in British newspapers. During the next two months it sold 1,500 copies according to the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/bo...pagewanted=all

Two months is enough time to know that The Cookoo's Calling wouldn't earn its advance just on the basis of quality.

Rowling could be forgiven for wondering whether The Casual Vacancy was as bad as Michiko Kakutani said, or if her reputation caused it to be held to a higher standard. But my feeling is that major newspaper reviewers are mostly good enough not to judge a book by its hype.

Maybe 90 minutes ago I reserved The Cookoo's Calling at the Brooklyn Public Library, where I am number 30 in line. And now their waiting list is up to 42.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Maybe 90 minutes ago I reserved The Cookoo's Calling at the Brooklyn Public Library, where I am number 30 in line. And now their waiting list is up to 42.
45 now.

Thanks for the good idea!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote