Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
nessin
nessin began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best non-ereader format to convert from?

I'm in the middle of converting a bunch of PDFs into epub with Calibre but I have a few files in which I have both a PDF and a DOC/RTF file for. The PDF, in most cases, is a direct copy of the DOC/RTF (converted via the Adobe Acrobat PDF print driver) so there isn't any reason to use one or the other.

Does Calibre work better with either particular format (likewise with HTML/LIT, which I don't think I have to deal with right now but for the future is HTML/LIT better than PDF/DOC/RTF)?
nessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessin View Post
I'm in the middle of converting a bunch of PDFs into epub with Calibre but I have a few files in which I have both a PDF and a DOC/RTF file for. The PDF, in most cases, is a direct copy of the DOC/RTF (converted via the Adobe Acrobat PDF print driver) so there isn't any reason to use one or the other.

Does Calibre work better with either particular format (likewise with HTML/LIT, which I don't think I have to deal with right now but for the future is HTML/LIT better than PDF/DOC/RTF)?
In general, you're always going to have better luck going from a text-based format into an eReader format. PDF is a page-based format.

PDF is, always, the last format I choose for a source when doing conversions.
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
From what I understand Calibre converts everything to html internally before converting to anything else so you will have the best results with html and lit files. Pdf is the worst format to convert from in calibre. So when ever you have a choice between a pdf file and any other format do not choose pdf

Last edited by Dopedangel; 10-11-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you have a rtf file, then calibre can normally convert it directly. Note that doc files cannot be converted directly so would need saving as rtf before converting. If not it is easy to convert such files to HTML which is the best format for conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote