Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Apple Tablet is official

Guys, what do you guys think this brings to the ebook market?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18787...ples_ipad.html

More details on the ipad here

http://live.gdgt.com/2010/01/27/live...e/#11-25-26-am
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Guys, what do you guys think this brings to the ebook market?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18787...ples_ipad.html

More details on the ipad here

http://live.gdgt.com/2010/01/27/live...e/#11-25-26-am
Hmm, I think it brings shorter battery life (10 hours) and a worse screen (IPS) but also removes the keyboard from the other useful gadget, the netbook.

I have to say I love my iPhone and I have been excited about the iPad with all of the rumours. It may surprise me, but I think I'll likely continue with my Aspire One, iPhone and Sony PRS505 for a while at least.
Dave
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Same size as PRS 900

The iPad is the same size as the PRS 900 and both have a virtual keyboard.

However, the Sony PRS 900 uses an eInk screen while the iPad uses an iPod screen.

In addition there is a charge by Apple for 3G connection and its free for Sony.

Since I already have Sony PRS 900, I don't see a need to switch.

Sony has that great Hard Cover Case as well which may not fit the iPad. IPad does not ship with that cover.

So far as PC functions, I much prefer my Dell XPS 600 at 3.20 GHz with a 24" HD Wide Screen Monitor.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
I just also noticed they sell SEPARATELY a USB port, and an SD card reader to connect camera or a card. This was acceptable on the iPod because it was a small device but this is the size of a netbook and has a 1GHz Arm chip so there's really no excuse for these not having been present within the device. I suspect the chip even has controllers for both of these which go unused.

still want one...but I don't know why or what for
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
I think the iPad is pretty much what I expected it to be, a scaled-up iPod Touch. I love my iPod and can definitely see getting the $499 entry-level model.

That said, I don't think it is the "game changer" the iPhone was - but maybe it will be if Apple can carry their Apps Store and iTunes success over to the iBook Store...
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
I think the iPad is pretty much what I expected it to be, a scaled-up iPod Touch. I love my iPod and can definitely see getting the $499 entry-level model.
I agree with this 100%, considering the Kindle DX sells for $490. I will also be getting the entry level model without the 3G support. I am really not concerned at all about the battery life since I only view tablets as "semi-portable" devices in their current form. Between this Apple tablet and a large screen dedicated e-reader such as the Kindle DX, the tablet would be my choice by far.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I agree with this 100%, considering the Kindle DX sells for $490. I will also be getting the entry level model without the 3G support. I am really not concerned at all about the battery life since I only view tablets as "semi-portable" devices in their current form. Between this Apple tablet and a large screen dedicated e-reader such as the Kindle DX, the tablet would be my choice by far.
This makes me wonder if we will see a price-reduction of the Kindle DX.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
This makes me wonder if we will see a price-reduction of the Kindle DX.
There is a very good chance. Alternatively, Amazon might just release software updates to make it more attractive to buyers. Eventually, though, they will have to either reduce its price significantly (say reduce it by US $150 to $175) or discontinue the existing model and offer a new device altogether that matches the features of the other readers. As soon as the other large screen e-readers come out, it would not make sense to buy the current Kindle DX unless you want a Kindle because of Amazon's large selection of titles.