Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
catsnotkis
catsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it is

Device: none
*ONLY* considering kobo or nook as 2nd device used for libray books

I have ordered a K3, but I want a second (cheap as possible) device *only* for library books.

Considering *only* kobo and nook, which would you choose and why? Extra points for reliability, ease of use, not so much on special features, as I will have K3 to play with as well. I have noticed these usually veer off to "get a sony" or such; please don't. I think they look great but are just more expensive than I am willing to pay for a 2nd device.

Any reason not to search out a refurbished nook/kobo on ebay?

I don't really want to have to convert or otherwise mess with the files. I just want to download, read, repeat.
catsnotkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The Kobo is cheaper and the sale price is still listed.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You can find some great deals on these devices over in the Flea Market forum.

Since you only want it for library books, I'd get whichever one you can find cheaper.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
If you can find the Kobo on sale and down near a $100 I say go for it but if not, the nook is still a better overall ereader, though I do like the kobo but, the nook has a better screen, you would have arguably the two best online ebook stores for your platform with the nook and the kindle, page turning on both sides of the device, so it's easier to turn pages with either hand, not to mention the page swiping method on the second lcd screen on the nook.

Sale - get the best deal

If neither are on sale-- get the nook, has far too many more advantages and features than the kobo.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Nook is clearly the better device. But if you are going to use it only for library book, you should buy a Kobo.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
omahawildcat
Enthusiast
omahawildcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...2b5a35bb65en02

get a refurbished kobo for $79. It doesnt have wifi but if you're going to just use it for library books it should work fine.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Whatever you choose - here is a coupon code to use at Borders website for 20% off up to 3 items.

BORD2327M
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
catsnotkis
catsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it is

Device: none
Wow, thanks everyone!
catsnotkis is offline   Reply With Quote