Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
timt1961
Just this guy, you know
timt1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
"Best" format

Hi,
what is the "best" format for ebooks on the Hanlin ? Epub, mobi, prc ?

Best of course is subjective, but I'm thinking in terms of small file size, good legibility, and nice formatting. I know I have some issues with some pdf files (letters too small, even when using maximum zoom.. I need new reading glasses

Thanks,
TimT.
timt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I convert all my books to FB2, that read very well under the official Hanlin FW, and reads even better uncer Openinkpot. Mobi files were worse under the Hanlin FW, but the same quality under OI.

So FB2 for me.
javimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by timt1961 View Post
Hi,
what is the "best" format for ebooks on the Hanlin ? Epub, mobi, prc ?

Best of course is subjective, but I'm thinking in terms of small file size, good legibility, and nice formatting. I know I have some issues with some pdf files (letters too small, even when using maximum zoom.. I need new reading glasses

Thanks,
TimT.
Mobi and prc are the exact same format. The Epub is actually poorly done on the Hanlin with lots of problems. Mobi format generally looks good. PDB (PalmDOC) files look good but they have very little formatting similar to TXT but better compressed.

Mobi formatting is fine and fairly easy to read with good support except the TOC feature is difficult to use and the bookmarking is difficult to use. (take too many keypresses). FB2 is a good format and well supported but there are not many eBooks available in that format (you need to convert).

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I format shift nearly everything to .rtf. But that negates your criteria of small file size, since .rtf's can get large. However, I have the least glitches with the EZ Reader (Hanlin) when reading .rtf files.
I'd love to be able to read .lit files on it without it crashing, freezing, or rebooting numerous times. (Hey, RobertB, how about a firmware update?)
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
timt1961
Just this guy, you know
timt1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
After some consideration, I think I'll stick with mobi format for now. FB2 looks interesting, but I'm having trouble finding books in this format (my russian isn't too good ;-)), and mobi does offer me the option of reading books on my Symbian phone.. Also, the fact that calibre can convert pretty much anything to mobi format helps.

Thanks for the input!

TImT.
timt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I suggested FB2, not because you can find lots of books in it, but because is the more "readable" format and with more options. I usually use free texts from the web, and convert them. There are a lot of right free texts (classic books) out there. If you are buying books from an online retailer, Mobi is the format to use no doubt.
javimm is offline   Reply With Quote