Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Sony PRS-505 w/Light Wedge or PRS-700?

So I purchased the PRS-700 last weekend. Brought it back and got the PRS-505 because of the increased contrast of the screen. Then, I purchased the Sony Light Wedge for the PRS-505 yesterday and it made the PRS-505 heavier and viewing through the Light Wedge reminded me of looking at the PRS-700.

Now, I don't have the PRS-700 to compare with anymore but wanted to get folk's impressions and experiences with the PRS-505 w/ Light Wedge and the PRS-700.

Truthfully, I'm now considering returning the PRS-505/Light Wedge combination for the all-in-one PRS-700.

Any opinions?
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Hmmm well I haven't seen a PRS-700 so I don't think I can give you a FAIR comparison, but I have the prs-505/lightwedge combination and it's working great for me so far. I think the prs-700 is backlit...I don't think I'd want that kind of light on mine. I use the lightwedge all the time, even in the day time. It's nice to have that extra bit of light.

Good luck!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Thanks Kelly for your reply. The PRS-700 is not backlit. the light is designed with the same concept as the light wedge where it's lit around the square of the PRS-700 screen making the edges brighter than the center of the e-ink screen.

To me, the lighting on the light wedge is very similar to how the lighting on the PRS-700 is designed. My opinion is that the light wedge has taken away "something" from the viewing experience of the PRS-505 screen and kind of reminded me of my viewing experience on the PRS-700.

What's difficult for me to discern is whether the PRS-505/light wedge combination is better/worse than the viewing experience on the PRS-700.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
AllFun, I had (and still have) a 505 + lightwedge, and a PRS 700.

I really liked the 505 + lightwedge, but as you stated above, the combo was heavy and it had a tendency to fly away from the screen when held at certain angles. That was my reasoning for getting the 700.

I LOVE my 700! The 505 + lightwedge gave a better, fuller light coverage than the 700, but I find that after the eyes adjust for a few moments the sidelighting of the 700 is very good for reading in subdued lighting and even in complete darkness. I also do not find the decreased contrast of the 700 or the "glare" issue to be a problem for me.

Also the 700 is so much lighter and compact than the 505 + lightwedge combo.

Your mileage may vary, but for me it has been a no-brainer. The 700 is a great solution for me.

For now...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
When I need the light (which isn't often) I just use a clip on light ($10 from some on line store) and that works great. I think the 505 better screen contrast is more important.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
When I need the light (which isn't often) I just use a clip on light ($10 from some on line store) and that works great. I think the 505 better screen contrast is more important.
That's a good point cassidym. I normally read in subdued lighting or darkness, so for my reading habits, the 700 just makes more sense.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
All4Fun
Zealot

Boy, you folks don't help make the decision any easier. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
yeah since having the lightwedge, I've been wondering why they couldn't just add that onto a prs-505, because it really is better than a backlight. All this time I thought the prs-700 had a backlight, which is why I didn't consider that one. I'm still not sorry I got the prs-505. I am curious to see the contrast on the prs-700 now. I do agree the lightwedge changes the contrast, but I leave the lightwedge on top of the screen even when the light is off and read, and I can still see everything fine.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I have the Sony lightwedge cover for my PRS-505 and am enjoying having it. The majority of my reading is without the light, so I will often detach it from the cover, which makes the whole thing much lighter. By putting the lightwedge unit into a small flannel bag, I can protect it from scratches while it is not connected to the cover. When I need to read in low-lit areas, I just snap the lightwedge back into the cover and keep going.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a 505 with the lightwedge and my husband has a 700. I'm very happy with my 505/lightwedge combo--and prefer reading on it to my husband's 700.

Most of my reading is done in well lighted situations, and I simply flip the lightwedge to the left--holding the reader case like a hardback book. I actually like the added weight of the light wedge--makes the reader a little more substantial. When I'm using the light, I bend the cover all the way around so that the two sides are next to each other.

One other benefit I find is that the batteries in my reader last a lot longer than my husband's. I use rechargeable batteries in the light wedge and am able to go quite a while without recharging them.

Now, on the other hand, my husband is perfectly happy with his 700 and wouldn't trade with me. (He reads a lot more technical books and makes good use of the search and zoom features.)

Good luck with your decision!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
i got the 700, clarity isnt a problem for me.
the bulk of the light wedge is kinda silly to me.

all in all, if you dont like your purchase, go with a kindle this time w/ a medge light cover
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
That's what I do as well. I read in bed with a book light, and elsewhere I'm out and about in light, so I don't use anything.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote