Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-31-2003, 12:30 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Talking

Available content
Go to Memoware. 87 specific Handstory documents available. 202 specific iSilo documents available.

Screen presentation
I made some screenshot comparisons, which can be viewed at:

http://www.turcic.com/avantgo/compare-1.jpg

- Handstory doesn't seem to handle tables/columns well (see pic 2, compare to pic 4).
- Handspring's text display is fast; however, if the display contains images, scrolling becomes very sluggish. iSilo remains fast.
- iSilo's formatting is closer to the source (compare comment below image in pic 3 and pic 6).

Memory requirements
Main app isilo: 344Kb, Handstory: 271Kb -> Plus for Handstory. But, document sizes are smaller with iSilo. From the comparision of screen presentation above,

General-Anzeiger Bonn (pic 1+2, 4+5)
HandStory 2.3: 47Kb
iSilo 3.3 b2: 36Kb

Tagesschau w/ Picture (pic 3, 6)
HandStory 2.3: 487Kb (hi-res)
iSilo 3.3 b2: 440Kb (hi-res, pic compression on)

So if you download a lot of channels regularly, you will end up saving more memory with iSilo. But if you only read a few small channels, then you would probably save a few Kbytes with Handstory (due to its smaller main app size)

Cheers!
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

The speed and size comparisons are interesting, thanks.
The formatting excellence of iSilo is good to hear. It serves as a good confirmation of what I had already noticed. I keep the PC side of Palm Infocenter in my channels list, even though it's my biggest one, just because the formatting is so beautiful for a demonstration, both of iSilo's capabilities, and those of my handheld.
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote