Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Voyage Optimised Font technology

Does anyone know what Amazon means by Optimised Font technology?

Have they improved the fonts on the Voyage or are they the same old limited fonts. The last Amazon e-reader that had decent fonts on it for me was the K3. I then upgraded to the PW with it's disproportionate jump in font size that I just could not get on with. I gave my PW to my sister and purchased a Kobo Aura HD which is great for me to get a darker font and correct size.

I really like the look of the page-turn buttons on the Voyage but it will be no good if it has the same old fonts, margins, and limited line spacing.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Same fonts and settings as KPW1 and KPW2 as far as I know.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
They improved the fonts in that they are sharper and also a bit darker as well. However, the font choices, margins, and line spacing all remain the same.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I really like the look of the page-turn buttons on the Voyage but it will be no good if it has the same old fonts, margins, and limited line spacing.
Same fonts, sharper, clearer, easier to read, and I can use a smaller font that before, but the HUGE and HUGEST are still there. No subtle graduations or anything additional.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ ... or god beware any new fonts
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
They improved the fonts in that they are sharper and also a bit darker as well. However, the font choices, margins, and line spacing all remain the same.
The new version of the higher resolution Carta screen improved the fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
the man beat me to it. same old fonts, better screen.

Having said that there may be an improved font coming soon for voyage. they said somehing about it in the launch blurb but I can't be bothered to go track it down. I think is in a bundle of stuff coming to voyage in 2015 ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the man beat me to it. same old fonts, better screen.

Having said that there may be an improved font coming soon for voyage. they said somehing about it in the launch blurb but I can't be bothered to go track it down. I think is in a bundle of stuff coming to voyage in 2015 ?
I wonder if they could add that via a software update. I don't see why not.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
They can. The Touch gained all the fonts of the Paperwhite after that firmware got backported to it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does the Kobo H20 have the newer version Carta screen?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Fonts can definitely be added via a FW update. I doubt Amazon will ever do that, but they should. They should also add way more options for font size, margin size, line height, etc. But they probably won't.

And yes I think most of the sharper text rendering is due to the new eInk screen and the redesigned light layer that degraded text on the PW1 and PW2. But they still need to add the ability to darken (make thicker) a font. The text is okay, but I wish it was thicker since the lighting is still wonky and uneven.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Fonts can definitely be added via a FW update. I doubt Amazon will ever do that, but they should. They should also add way more options for font size, margin size, line height, etc. But they probably won't.

And yes I think most of the sharper text rendering is due to the new eInk screen and the redesigned light layer that degraded text on the PW1 and PW2. But they still need to add the ability to darken (make thicker) a font. The text is okay, but I wish it was thicker since the lighting is still wonky and uneven.
What I don't understand is why the lighting on my PW2 is so even compared to the voyage. The lighting on my Pw2 is so much better than on my voyage. In fact, overall the screen is just so much more even on my PW2, but the negative is the fonts are a little less sharp. My voyage also has slight color hues. Pink mainly.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
What I don't understand is why the lighting on my PW2 is so even compared to the voyage. The lighting on my Pw2 is so much better than on my voyage. In fact, overall the screen is just so much more even on my PW2, but the negative is the fonts are a little less sharp. My voyage also has slight color hues. Pink mainly.
Totally agree! My PW2 had a really nice screen, and it was the first and only PW2 I had. I lucked out on the PW2. But the text was just too fuzzy for my eyes. I kept it a few months but finally had to admit it mostly sat on a shelf collecting dust. Plus I got tired of having to embed a font or turn all the text bold so I could read without too much eyestrain.

I'm still on the fence with my Voyage. I want to keep it, but will it just turn into a paperweight? I have to fiddle with it to get the lighting just right. And then I can still see the giant, but thankfully dim, smudge on the upper 1/3 of the screen. But at least it doesn't degrade the text. But the blue tint is annoying even though I can make it mostly disappear too. But it is like trying to get TV reception from a rabbit ears antenna when you live 20 miles from the TV transmitter tower. There will be a lot of repositioning until you get a clear picture. Last night I realized I was leaning funny in my recliner, then understood I did so to get the Voyage into a position where its light combined with the table light made most of the design flaws fade away enough to read. Hmmmm? To be honest all the Kobo images I've seen look just as bad. I see the same kinds of defects in them.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Totally agree! My PW2 had a really nice screen, and it was the first and only PW2 I had. I lucked out on the PW2. But the text was just too fuzzy for my eyes. I kept it a few months but finally had to admit it mostly sat on a shelf collecting dust. Plus I got tired of having to embed a font or turn all the text bold so I could read without too much eyestrain.

I'm still on the fence with my Voyage. I want to keep it, but will it just turn into a paperweight? I have to fiddle with it to get the lighting just right. And then I can still see the giant, but thankfully dim, smudge on the upper 1/3 of the screen. But at least it doesn't degrade the text. But the blue tint is annoying even though I can make it mostly disappear too. But it is like trying to get TV reception from a rabbit ears antenna when you live 20 miles from the TV transmitter tower. There will be a lot of repositioning until you get a clear picture. Last night I realized I was leaning funny in my recliner, then understood I did so to get the Voyage into a position where its light combined with the table light made most of the design flaws fade away enough to read. Hmmmm? To be honest all the Kobo images I've seen look just as bad. I see the same kinds of defects in them.
I know, they make it hard to make a decision. The font on my PW2 looks fine to me, until I compare it to the voyage and can then see the voyage is sharper. It's frustrating with these devices that we can't simply be completely satisfied and instead always have issues that complicate things but, at the same time, have the device still be good enough to put you on the fence about it. Argh.

I'm definitely returning my voyage, but I'm going to give the H20 a try. If that doesn't work out, I'll stick with my PW2 for another year.

What defects are you noticing on the Kobo screens? I thought they looked pretty good as far as evenness goes. I want to give one a try and see what I think. I do a lot of reading outside in the Spring and Summer and also at night in the dark, so I really love having a lighted reader for night, but one I can also use outside. I just wish they didn't make the process so painful for us. Good luck with your decision! It might be worth trying one more, do you think? Maybe at Best Buy?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
when I check via google: - Amazon were claiming "optimized font technology" in 2013 for the PW, and implying it ( but not with those exact 3 words) even on the basic, now discontinued models.

so maybe it's a case of "move along, there's nothing new to see here" ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote