Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: How important is color to you?
Don't need it. 43 39.81%
Have some use for it. 48 44.44%
Must have it by 5 p.m. tomorrow. 17 15.74%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Just how important IS color to you?

Because, personally, I'd rather have a lightning-fast, incredibly responsive b&w display than a color one. Can't think of too many books that I would need color for, either - but then again, I don't read graphic novels on my Iliad.

To me, the demand for color is a little like asking for more Flash animations in a webpage or more thumping bass in a stereo - it doesn't add anything worthwhile to the information being conveyed.

Prove me wrong, folks - explain to me why we need color rather than, say, flexibility or even better battery life.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Color would be fine, let's say, for school textbooks. I can imagine that it could be quite important to see illustrations and graphs in color.

For fiction textbook reading - no, I personally wouldn't require color.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If I wanted a device for magazines & perhaps textbooks and some non-fiction then color (& a bigger screen) would likely be very important to me.

My main (only) use for a reading device at this point is for fiction & I see no reason for color (or a bigger screen for that matter) at this time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
If color were available, I'd love it. There are so many technical books that have color illustrations and, of course, there are many, many, published works that include color photos. I would also like to have the ability to read a newspaper or magazine as it appears in paper print. Cook books would also benefit from the use of color on a reader. The world is filled with color. I'd like that to overflow onto my reader. That and a bigger screen would make me very happy. Of course, good crisp black and white would be called for for most of my fiction reading.

Come on Fujitus. Where is that Flepia?
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Colo(u)r is really important to me but would be useless without good PDF A4 display support.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
A little color would indeed help for textbooks. But if we're talking about reproducing artwork for magazines, etc. then this doesn't seem very practical any time soon. The Eink colors look pretty awful right now.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
A little color would indeed help for textbooks. But if we're talking about reproducing artwork for magazines, etc. then this doesn't seem very practical any time soon. The Eink colors look pretty awful right now.
But what sacrifice would you be willing to make for it? As you know, a colour display has inherently only 1/3th the linear resolution of a B&W one. Would you swap a 166bpi B&W display for a 56dpi colour one? I wouldn't!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Resolution is a main factor for eyestrain. I rather have 300ppi than color.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Although I only read Playboy for the articles I wouldn't change to an electronic subscription until I get high resolution colour.

Today I understand the limitations of the colour display technologies so it's much more important to have the best black and white screen I can get. In the future it will be very important for me.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Although I only read Playboy for the articles I wouldn't change to an electronic subscription until I get high resolution colour.
And animation, of course .
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Books would use up way more space, if in color, would slow everything down. Please no!
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
For someone who uses a reader mainly for research purposes, having color would be quite nice. It would help for textbooks and reference material, but even more importantly for pdf journal articles. Most journals are deemphasizing printed and bound copies, and so more and more publishers are allowing color graphs with little or no extra cost to the author. I expect this trend to continue and accelerate.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Ah, I voted incorrectly. I voted for second option. I mean I would not mind to have solour ...however, I would prefer quality b&w than mediocre colour reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
Rob Hudson
Rob Hudson began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2
I have an eBook Technologies (ETI-1) color eBook reader, with which I am quite pleased. It's the only color eBook device that I know of.

Here's a link to the ETI-1 color eBook. Unfortunately, the pic doesn't do a great job of showcasing the color capability.

Is anyone aware of any other color eBook devices?

Rob Hudson
MyDistrict.Net: Newspaper Distributor Software
Rob Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hudson View Post
Is anyone aware of any other color eBook devices?
The original CyBook is one that springs immediately to mind, of course - it has an 800x600 64k colour display.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "eBook Device". Practically any PDA would quality if you mean "devices on which eBooks can be read".