Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Dead pixels on the screen

My wife's' nook has a line of dead pixels in the bottom half of the screen. Just showed up for the first time today. Reboots and resets don't seem to help the issue.

So, it looks like I may need to get a new screen. Has anyone ever replaced a nook screen? Is it hard? Where can I buy a replacement screen?

Any help greatly appreciated.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Replacing the screen of an eInk device is rarely cost-effective - having it repaired tends to cost as much as buying a new device. If it's not still under warranty, your best bet is probably to look for a 2nd-hand nook; with the impending release of the new nook, there should be some bargains to be had in the next few weeks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Replacing the screen of an eInk device is rarely cost-effective - having it repaired tends to cost as much as buying a new device. If it's not still under warranty, your best bet is probably to look for a 2nd-hand nook; with the impending release of the new nook, there should be some bargains to be had in the next few weeks.
I work in IT. I'm pretty good with this stuff. If I can get a panel, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it. Could I put a Pearl panel in instead of the original one?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I work in IT. I'm pretty good with this stuff. If I can get a panel, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it. Could I put a Pearl panel in instead of the original one?
Last time I looked, it was impossible to buy a single screen for less than the price of a new nook. You might find a usable one on eBay in the form of a dead nook from some other reason, but even that's tough.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist

Yeah, I think I'm going to end up buying a Simple Touch. The only problem is, I just bought an Oberon Design case for the nook classic. I think my wife may like the case better than the nook itself.

So, no simple touch until Oberon Design makes a case for the thing...
Advert