Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
strnad
strnad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
PDF - ePub paragraphs are merged together

Good morning,

I converted my PDF files to ePub and I have exactly the opposite problem than described in sticky "Read before Posting PDF Questions" post.

Some of my paragraphs are not split but vice versa, merged together.

I converted my files from ODT to PDF in OpenOffice then using Calibre to ePub format. When I checked wrong paragraphs in original ODT there was a "hard enter" and everything was correct.

My question is how to avoid this problem.

Should I convert my books to ePub from some other format? If yes, from which one to avoid this problem?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely

Peter Strnad
strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by strnad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
PDF format is the worst choice of source formats to use with Calibre, and conversions can range from decent to quite awful.
I converted my files from ODT to PDF in OpenOffice then using Calibre to ePub format.
You said you read the sticky post, Read this before Posting PDF Questions, yet you still used PDF as a intermediate format? Let me repeat the first sentence from that sticky post, PDF format is the worst choice of source formats to use with Calibre.

Quote:
My question is how to avoid this problem.
Don't ever use PDF as a stepping stone to another format.

Quote:
Should I convert my books to ePub from some other format? If yes, from which one to avoid this problem?
Try converting straight from ODT to ePub. If that doesn't do the trick you can save the ODT as a html document and try converting the html to ePub. Alternatively you can use the writer2epub plugin to save as a epub straight from Openoffice and if needed you can do a ePub to ePub conversion in calibre to set the cover, metadata or TOC as required.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-01-2011 at 03:24 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
strnad
strnad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
re:

Hello dwanthny,

the problem is that I coverted my PDFs first and then came to this forum. :-)

Nevertheless you have confirmed my theory and I would like to thank you for your time, help and effort.

Sincerely

Peter
strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
the problem is that I coverted my PDFs first and then came to this forum. :-)
That explains it then.

Quote:
Nevertheless you have confirmed my theory and I would like to thank you for your time, help and effort.
You are welcome and I wish you well with your project.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Some of my paragraphs are not split but vice versa, merged together.
Increase the line unwrap factor.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert