Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #61
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thanks Grace - I think I'll leave this book for the moment. I've been trying to work out where to put it in my TBR list based on some fairly enthusiastic feedback. However, "mistakes on nearly every page" is not a book I want to read. It would drive me crazy.

Hopefully after the next edit, the experience would be a better one and I can reconsider then.
It's really not that bad. I did note the Thankyou issue... but it was consistent so I didn't bother reporting it. The book is a great read regardless of the typos.

I'm running into similar issues with another indie I'm reading right now.. The Dagger's Point by James Kitson.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm only in the first chapter, and I can already see it could use a proofing pass.
But I also agree it's not all that distracting yet, and it hasn't made we want to stop reading, as some other books have done. Lucky placement of the errors, perhaps.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #63
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
Hi ApK

A lot of readers stop noticing the errors after a while. However not everyone can read over them so easily. It is something I'm working to address and a few kind readers are doing what they can to help.

I thought that Grace's review was fair and understand that in her opinion the errors did make a difference to her enjoyment. It's a fault I acknowledge and apologize for. She also said some very nice things about the story too. Overall, despite the rating being lower due to the mistakes, she still recommended the book and seemed to enjoy it.

Though how much the story is affected by the mistakes is clearly subjective. I have a majority of five-star reviews so no doubt many people aren't nearly as bothered by them and some not at all.

I hope to have the next revision out soon. It is my intent to do what I can to improve the enjoyment of all the readers of the book.

Thanks
David.
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #64
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David - can you post when the next revision is out? I'll update my copy with the new one.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #65
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKitson View Post
I thought that Grace's review was fair and understand that in her opinion the errors did make a difference to her enjoyment. It's a fault I acknowledge and apologize for. She also said some very nice things about the story too. Overall, despite the rating being lower due to the mistakes, she still recommended the book and seemed to enjoy it.
This is the reason she is so popular and influential reviewer. Unlike some other reviewers she points out the good AND the bad. So people that select the book according to her review can know exactly what they are getting.

Have you ever considered crowd-sourcing the location of typos / errors? A really good editor is irreplaceable, but still ...

Last edited by kacir; 05-17-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Typo correction
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #66
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Ok, after reading this thread it is now going to be my next book to read. Sounds very interesting.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #67
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
This is the reason she is so popular and influential reviewer. Unlike some other reviewers she points out the good AND the bad. So people that select the book according to her review can know exactly what they are getting.

Have you ever considered crowd-sourcing the location of typos / errors? A really good editor is irreplaceable, but still ...

Thanks Kacir, it is a good suggestion. This is very much what is happening, with several readers from this forum and others already offering a great deal of feedback on what they found and another reader is going through an "edit" pass also and expected to finish in about a week's time. It's a huge effort for anyone and I can't stress how much I already appreciate their help even though I have yet to upload revisions.

As I continue writing, I find I make mistakes less frequently, but that doesn't make spotting my earlier errors any easier. Well, maybe a little.

Now that I'm travelling to work on the trains once again, I'll start writing short stories and there's a few from the TE world I have yet to finish. Nearly all will be set before the main story and look into the world that spawned the events of TE.

It gives me a chance to experiment with styles and to tell the tales that lay in the background and behind the scenes of the main story.

Some will provide vignette's for characters who were missing from the story, their existence only hinted at in reference. Others will look at the technology behind the story - one of them is planned to be horror and involves the crickets.

There are many others in the works and I've decided to expand on the short stories to get back into the swing of regular writing while commuting.

But if there was an aspect of the story anyone enjoyed or really wanted to know more about, please send me an email or PM. If it's fitting, I may target it specifically in one of the shorts.

-Solicitus - Thankyou for mentioning - I hope you enjoy it

Thanks
David
Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #68
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
David, are you familiar with Regular Expressions?

I was helping another author to clean up his book and I worked out some Regular Expressions to search for particular types of errors. Like two words repeating, space before coma or a full stop ...
You can catch surprising number of typos/formatting errors this way.
I can run your text through such check, or I can post instructions. Let me know if you are interested.

What I did was, that when I found a formatting error, such as two words repeating, or miss-positioned quotation mark, I wrote regular expression (to be used in "search and replace" in editor) to catch all occurrences of this error.

There are, I believe automated tools that are much more sophisticated.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #69
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKitson
I really struggle for an "blurb" to describe it
how about that:
Quote:
Can humans love AIs? And vice versa?
How sure you know who is what?
Does it really matter?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #70
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Hi David,
Did you ever get the PM I sent you a little while back?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #71
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey there. I just finished the book last night.
It's a very good story and worth bumping this thread to mention it.
Shades of Philip K. Dick, Neal Stephenson, and Tom Clancy rolled into one.

It also became HUGELY difficult to ignore the tremendous number of errors, not only typos, but some grammar, and a lot of what were presumably layout and revision errors, as if cut and pastes were misapplied in several places. Some are important to the story, which I'll mention in a PM as to not give anything away. The majority just became terribly jarring. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't started it yet wait for a revision. I think it's worth the wait.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #72
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author

Some more reviews and news.

Hi All,

A quick update. Amazon suddenly reduced the price to $0 ( Yes, it was always free, but until a few days ago, Amazon insisted on charging for it ) - Over the past four days, I have had nearly five thousand downloads. I only wish the new revision was already out. It was certainly a LOT more downloads than I ever expected in such a short time and I have no idea what set it off yet.

Anyway, of the new reviews. Here's one.

"Great read! Interesting story with plot twists and turns. Hope there will be a sequel. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 was the need for editing made me have to stop and figure out what the author was trying to say several times. Other editing issues were present as well. Hope to read more by this author." -Witchywomyn

Reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Turing-Evolved...7023780&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1

And on the editing news front, I have begun the second-final editing pass, folding in corrections provided by readers so far including some massive efforts. ( Thankyou )

David.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #73
ApK

I wonder if Amazon has a mechanism to alert customers to a revision when you publish it?
With any luck you might get the update to a bunch of the 5000 before they have read it.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #74
pawelstar
PStar
pawelstar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle on iPad
Hi David,
I have just finished reading the book. Typos aside, it was an excellent read. Thanks
pawelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #75
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
WOW. Is what I have to say after finishing your book. It was an awesome read, I'm glad I read it and I'm glad you wrote it. All those acronyms are just pure genius. You must had put a lot of work in those ^^

I really enjoyed it, to be honest I thought the part between his escape and until his contact with Rachell was a bit boring, but as soon as Angels were introduced and Rachel came up was absolutely unbearable to put down

I do agree that it has lots of typos and such but I think that it didn't ruined at all this potential masterpiece (yeah I loved it that much). So once you revise all the typos and such you'll have a full-fledge masterpiece.

I want to read more from this world, I want the story to continue, see how does the new Archangel candidate goes and how John interferes with it. So go write more, nawwwww!!!

If you want I'll review it in both Amazon and Smashwords tomorrow, I'll take up some parts from this post to help me complete it.

Continue the fabulous imagination, writing and genius mind that you have

*EDIT* Does Military Diorama has anything to do with Turing Evolved?

Last edited by AkumaTakeshi; 07-04-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: misplaced Rachel with Raquel :p
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
androids, artificial intelligence, asimov style, love story, science fiction, twist