Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #1006
eroe
eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Something I'd like is to be able to have the option to touch a word on the screen and have its translation come up as a default (instead of the dictionary). I would find this handy whenever I am reading French books and want to know the English word but don't like the excessive tapping to get to the translation dictionaries.
eroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #1007
kornti
kornti began at the beginning.

Device: OYO Thalia; Kobo Touch
My requests:
- Button for Internetbrowser on homescreen
- Possibility to receive RSS-Feeds
- Integration of Keyboard in "Scetchbox", so you could use it as a notepad (maybe not limited to one site)
- Extending Sctechbox to more pics as one file
- Possibility of apps like Google Calender; Contacts oder Wikipedia (hopefully in German)
- Integration of Wikipedia while reading
- Sync of epubs to kobo account even when the book was purchased somewhere else
- Switch for landscape mode (most useful while browsing, but also useful for reading)
- Possibility for editing the dictionarys (maybe getting the dics "crowdsourced"?
- Bookshelfs: Editing should be possible from book-search;.... everywhere you have to deal with your books on kobo and on the desktop software (again: purchased books from other stores should be implemented here too!)
- Possibility to download epubs directly from the internet

Nice to have would be a slideshow, and an e-mail-app as well as a notefunction in the books without marking a word (let's say just when putting a readers mark)

thanks and all the best.
kornti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #1008
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornti View Post
My requests:
- Button for Internetbrowser on homescreen
Agree with this.
Quote:
- Sync of epubs to kobo account even when the book was purchased somewhere else
I believe there are privacy issues that mean they won't do this.
Quote:
- Switch for landscape mode (most useful while browsing, but also useful for reading)
Yes please
Quote:
- Bookshelfs: Editing should be possible from book-search;.... everywhere you have to deal with your books on kobo and on the desktop software (again: purchased books from other stores should be implemented here too!)
This is in the next firmware. "Real soon now"
Quote:
- Possibility to download epubs directly from the internet
You can already do this via the browser.
Quote:
Nice to have would be a slideshow, and an e-mail-app as well as a
No thank you. If I want that, I'll get a tablet.
Quote:
notefunction in the books without marking a word (let's say just when putting a readers mark)
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want to add a note the the bookmark you create by pressing the top right corner? For me, marking a word or a series of words works well for saving notes. I could see a benefit to notes for the whole book, but any other time it has been for a specific passage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #1009
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not sure I want a web browser on the front page. As they say it IS experimental and I for one have seen too many issues with it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #1010
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
My requests:
as well as a notefunction in the books without marking a word (let's say just when putting a readers mark)
It's somewhat clumsy, but this can be done already. Make a bookmark, open the annotations page, open the 3 bar menu for the bookmark and use "add a note".
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1011
mckinnon42
mckinnon42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just updated today and saddened to see the following features still lacking.

1) Ability to add notations to .pdf (present on competitors products)
2) Landscape interface when using reader in landscape mode (it already detects swipes different, why not put my buttons along the 'bottom' as well?)
3) Ability to declare a bookshelf 'mutually exclusive' so that books in that shelf won't appear in any other shelf or list

Thank You!
mckinnon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #1012
mckinnon42
mckinnon42 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyow View Post
Hi,
For PDF reading (quite unusable at this moment) :
  • possibility to go to next / prev page without dezooming or opening the menu.
You can already do this. Drag the screen to the right or left side of your document to reveal a vertical black bar. Depending on your firmware you may or may not see a white circle. If you see the circle, tap it to go to next/previous page. If you do not see the circle you can just tap the entire black bar. On occasion, some PDFs had odd formatting and you have to use the top / bottom of your document rather than the sides, but it works quite well regardless.
mckinnon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #1013
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure I want a web browser on the front page. As they say it IS experimental and I for one have seen too many issues with it.
The web browser, even one as minimal and buggy as the one on offer, is essential if you want to sync your bookmark when not at home. Often with hotels wifi you have to agree to 't&c' before you can connect. I have not found a way yet to bypass this in order to connect to the wifi.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #1014
heyow
heyow began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinnon42 View Post
You can already do this. Drag the screen to the right or left side of your document to reveal a vertical black bar. Depending on your firmware you may or may not see a white circle. If you see the circle, tap it to go to next/previous page. If you do not see the circle you can just tap the entire black bar. On occasion, some PDFs had odd formatting and you have to use the top / bottom of your document rather than the sides, but it works quite well regardless.
Thanks for that, never seen this function, and that's exactly what I want.
I removed it from my list.

Quote:
My requests:
- Possibility to receive RSS-Feeds
+1
And twitter links working (bit.li).

Actually, a solution I've found is a firefox addon : GrabMyBooks. I use it with google reader that can grab all feeds, articles and blogs that I follow, and generates a really clean capture of the content.
Just select this content, right-click > grabmybook > grab selection > edit > save. Then edit the metadata and click on grabmybook to save it directly inside the kobo. Don't forget to click on the delete button on top of grabmybook after that, or else it will add next articles as chapters.
It gives an ebook without errors or useless menus or things we don't want, only the content and images.
This is the simplest way I found. If someone found something more simple...

Quote:
My requests:
- Possibility of apps like Google Calender; Contacts oder Wikipedia (hopefully in German)
- Integration of Wikipedia while reading
Could be nice, but when I use the webbrowser, I hardly think Kobo isn't done for web browsing. Not enough powerful ?

Last edited by heyow; 10-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.
heyow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #1015
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thread title should be changed to "Touch Kobo Touch future firmware feature hopefulness thread".
Does anybody from Kobo read the thread?
Diacritics support is broken again - third useless update...
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #1016
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
a shelf with a shelf

Now, at least, we have the shelf option but could it be possible to make shelves within a shelf : I have books from one author and he wrote several series. What I'd like to be able to do is create a shelf for the author and within this one, a shelf per serie.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #1017
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
It would be nice to be able to list all authors, and selecting an author would only display their books. Would mean less fiddling about with shelves, and I could then use my shelves for quick access to books I'm currently reading or plan on reading soon.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #1018
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
It would be nice to be able to list all authors, and selecting an author would only display their books. Would mean less fiddling about with shelves, and I could then use my shelves for quick access to books I'm currently reading or plan on reading soon.
Yes, that would be very nice.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #1019
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
I'm willing to bet (but don't feel like trying it) that the calibre driver could be used here to accomplish that. Just try adding authors to the shelf definition box in the KoboTouch device driver preferences. (In addition of course to series and any other shelf field you want to use).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #1020
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm willing to bet (but don't feel like trying it) that the calibre driver could be used here to accomplish that. Just try adding authors to the shelf definition box in the KoboTouch device driver preferences. (In addition of course to series and any other shelf field you want to use).
NOOOOO!!!!!.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yes, that should work, but I'll let you test it My problem with it is that it would mix the authors up with the other shelves. If Kobo added an authors list that looked like the shelves list (each author with a count of books, press the author and list the books) that would be great.