Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
MicroCruz Reader and Tablet (at Borders)

See here.

Unfortunately the video only shows the tablet, not the reader.

Any opinions on these?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Unfortunately, Borders doesn't sell across borders, so I can't check this out. However, I think I saw some mention of these in the Android forums. I'm waiting until I can see these things in Canada before I do any serious shopping.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

They supposedly ship internationally, but I can't find out for sure yet.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
I don't like the kobo reader software for other devices. You can't seem to side-load your own books etc to view with it.

Can I install 3rd party e-reader software on this?
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark666 View Post
I don't like the kobo reader software for other devices. You can't seem to side-load your own books etc to view with it.

Can I install 3rd party e-reader software on this?
Our iphone and ipad apps now allow side-loading epubs / pdfs. Expect the same functionality to come to other platforms soon.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
mdmorrissey
Addict

I haven't gotten an answer to my query about intl. shipping.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
@SameerH

Thanks for letting me know that; I'm glad Kobo made that move. But still, I'd like to know if this device can load any of the android e-readers mentioned in the below thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70921

I like the idea of the android platform but I keep reading how the carriers lock down the device and not allow you to upgrade it etc. I'm wondering if the same thing will happen with the android tablet/e-reader variants.

I want total control of the hardware I buy.
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark666 View Post
@SameerH

Thanks for letting me know that; I'm glad Kobo made that move. But still, I'd like to know if this device can load any of the android e-readers mentioned in the below thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70921

I like the idea of the android platform but I keep reading how the carriers lock down the device and not allow you to upgrade it etc. I'm wondering if the same thing will happen with the android tablet/e-reader variants.

I want total control of the hardware I buy.
On the Velocity Micro device, I'm not 100% sure. I moved off that particular project while it was in its infancy.

I'm pretty sure if you can find an .apk you'd be able to install it. I don't think it has access to Android market yet. I'll try and find out for you.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote