Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demas View Post
guy, there's no format that doesn't run on Android
I'm not aware of Kindle, B&N or Borders providing an Android application yet. The only major commercial ereading format I'm aware of for Android is secure eReader (pdb) from fictionwise (while you can read some B&N titles on it, a lot of them are epubs).

It's just a matter of time, but I think your quote might end up confusing people. There are several format/DRM combos you can't just pick up and read on an android device yet.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
If they're only now working on the custom UI, honestly, "urk". It's the make or break point for these devices, and if I was to try and launch one it would be the primary focus... this won't be true in 12-18 months when there are established tablet UI's for Android, but right now...

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 02-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
If they're only now working on the custom UI, honestly, "urk". It's the make or break point for these devices, and if I was to try and launch one it would be the primary focus... this won't be true in 12-18 months when there are established tablet UI's for Android, but right now...
My thoughts exactly! Specwise a very promising device, though.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #19
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I don't get the usefullness of a trackpad on the backside, if it's a touchscreen.
But it sure looks sweet!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #20
Demas
Connoisseur
Demas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Notion Ink Adam
In this video interview they indicate there are two main reasons: 1. For navigating small links (or character by character text fields); 2. Innovation.

For small links, the precision of capacitive screen input has always had a certain degree of arbitrariness (more on that issue here) which relies on complex algorithms to smooth out- unfortunately many of them are wrapped up in patents squatted on by other corporations and involve costly licenses or wholly original workarounds- and quality touchscreen hardware. If you're lacking both of these, the touch experience will still be good, but perhaps lacking the same level precision one might have come to expect. If your software relies heavily on that precision (like Apple's touch products do, their solution to precision input being gradient zooming- rather than Android's built-in granular zooming) then the experience would be frustrating. So many Android devices include secondary input for precision such as trackballs, optical mouse pads, or- in this case- touch pads. Putting it on the back is both out of necessity and advantage (precludes ocular obstruction by the finger, for pixel-perfect control).

With respect to innovation, this can be taken two ways, the first is simply as a gadget. It's new and novel and gadget lovers like owning the first of anything irrespective of practicality (the very moniker Adam is meant to evoke the fact this device is first in a couple areas). The second is that it potentially opens up new gestures and input methods we've yet to imagine. With a rear trackpad you could fairly reasonably move three or more cursors with INDEPENDENT vectors (of meaningful amplitude, not just twiddling your finger-tips) simultaneously WHILE HOLDING the device! There's crazy potential there for interaction given we're just getting a hold on 1-to-2 vector gestures now.

So it's a small thing, but a reasonable and interesting thing.
Demas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I don't get the usefullness of a trackpad on the backside, if it's a touchscreen.
But it sure looks sweet!
If you're holding the device, and your fingers naturally rest on that trackpad...I had a laptop where holding it at the right side of the hinge put your fingers on a trackball and two buttons.

(Which, quite honestly, felt far better for me than trackpads do - I like tactile feedback)

I'm not at all sure it'll work that well with a trackpad, but it's an interesting concept, regardless.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 02-15-2010 at 09:31 AM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demas View Post
guy, there's no format that doesn't run on Android and no format that doesn't run on Linux (which you can push to this device if so desired), so basically... everything.

New from MWC:
http://www.technoholik.com/news/excl...et-specs-pics/

http://www.technoholik.com/news/ten-...tion-ink-adam/

Video interview (5min):
http://www.technoholik.com/news/snea...tion-ink-adam/
http://<br /> <br /> Flash 10.1 wo...-demo-1473893/

New details include a trackpad on the back (patent filed), 3.2 megapixel swivel cam (patent filed), two versions (one with Pixel Qi and a LCD only version), the Indian version will not include 3G (but rumored to be priced at $290 USD), release date is June/July, US pricing not announced yet.

Microphone and voice controls supported, ambient light sensor, 3x USB ports (originally spec'ed at 2x), confirmed to run Ubuntu, Android 2.1, or Chrome OS. The hardware is basically finalized, with the weeks until launch dedicated to a custom Android UX.[/QUOTE]
Wow Amazing Specs!!
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Well the pricing is here, but leaves me wondering. Since they do not indicate options what is it you getting or not getting for $327 vs $800?

http://gizmodo.com/5471559/notion-in...pecs-finalized
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
My take ...

The hardware is a definite winner, the software is only a maybe.

As a pure ebook reader I'm not sure that it has anything to offer over what I already have.

As an ebook reader that also does a bit more, the possibilities are there, but the jury is still out. The problem is what do you do with that extra power? The apps in the android store are quite useful on my android phone, but I'm not sure I need shopping apps, small-screen games, or google sky on this device.

I'm sure that is why they are hosting their own app store. They want to encourage the development of more tablet-orientated apps. The question is whether they will be able to attract sufficient independent developers. It's somewhat of a chicken and egg issue. If you sell tens of millions of these, the developers will come. If you have lots of good apps, you will sell tens of millions of these.

As it is, I don't think they can compete against the ipad or windows tablets such as the upcoming HP. Both of these other solutions have more built-in software capabilities, and the ipad at least will probably have a healthier app store due to its prestige/visibility.

From an ebook arena, I'd just love to see an ebook app that takes advantage of all of that great software. Something that reads books, and lets me highlight them and annotate them. And as a college professor, I'd like the ability to export highlighted text as a pdf so I could use it for grading.

Personally, I'm not the fond of the ipad. I'd like to see this work if it is available with an interesting set of software. Right now, I'm expecting the most interesting solutions to come from MS. I know everyone loves to hate them, but the reason they won against Apple in the PC market was that they were more open! Each manufacturer could develop their own hardware design and deliver it using windows. No restrictive app policies. I expect to see many more flavors of windows tablets, and I expect a better software selection for windows tablets than for the Adam.

I hope I'm wrong, because I think Notion Ink really got the hardware right! I love that curve where the camera is. It seems like it would make a great grip for holding the tablet as I read it.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I'm not aware of Kindle, B&N or Borders providing an Android application yet. The only major commercial ereading format I'm aware of for Android is secure eReader (pdb) from fictionwise (while you can read some B&N titles on it, a lot of them are epubs).

It's just a matter of time, but I think your quote might end up confusing people. There are several format/DRM combos you can't just pick up and read on an android device yet.
Two Epub readers are available for the Droid - Aldiko & WordPlayer.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Two Epub readers are available for the Droid - Aldiko & WordPlayer.
Neither Aldiko and Wordplayer support reading DRM'd books you'd get from major stores like B&N, Borders etc. Thus my "major, commercial" distinction. That they technically read "epub" format, but practically speaking can't read the epubs from major stores might make demas technically correct, but not practically correct.

My point is just that Android still has a ways to go to be a great ereading platform. My understanding now is that Kobo (borders) and B&N both have readers in the works. And I'd be surprised if Amazon didn't. That will help.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
OK but my major book store is Baen which does not use DRM.

Edit: Just found an FBReader for Android called FBReaderJ. Reads FB2, FB2.zip, OEM & Epub. Not sure about DRM since none of my books have DRM. Interestingly, my Motorola Droid turns itself back on immediately if I turn it off (actually put it to sleep) while in FBReaderJ. I have to back out of FBReaderJ & then turn it off.

Last edited by slayda; 03-01-2010 at 10:05 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote