Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I used gparted to resize the original parition which took up all space on cf, and made a second partition on cf. The cf is still bootable.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I used gparted to resize the original parition which took up all space on cf, and made a second partition on cf. The cf is still bootable.
Thanks! I'll get myself a cf soon, and experiment with it...
Do you think the speed of the cf matters for the boot time?
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Do you think the speed of the cf matters for the boot time?
I had a test once. About ten seconds slower than normal boot.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #19
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:

I don't know exactly. But I guess not. Because I only dd root partition.

The Linux Kernel is always located in the /boot dir. If you remove that from your working bootable CF and it stops working then you know the kernel is there.

I find great value in this project because this will make upgrading the kernel alot easier task. I believe most of the drivers for the current hardware has been written somewhere in cyberspace.

I'm going to over the next week or so write a how to on this.

Great work.
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #20
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlKid38 View Post
The Linux Kernel is always located in the /boot dir.
That's the generaly case for desktop Linux, not for iLiad. You might want to read this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31847
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #21
KewlKid38
KewlKid38 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Ohh I didn't know that it was that differnt. I thought all Linux's (is that a word) would be consistant so you could Roll your own distro easily.

I guess you live and learn. I still have to get sometime to build the compact flash card and write up the process even though there is enough information in this thread.
KewlKid38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #22
ericshliao
Guru

I found that my bootable cf has some errors in filesytem. If I fix them with fsck, it will not be bootable anymore. Any ideas?

It seems that there is some mystic in iRex's fiel for rom reflash.

Last edited by ericshliao; 06-07-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
I just found a strange thing. My shell access disappeared. I found it disappeared because I couldn't execute dropbear from shell script. I have to download and install again. But newlister is still running. It's a proof that shell access disappeared after installed, or there won't be newlister installed on my iLiad.
I know why so now.

It occurred when I used a bootable CF created purely from the rootfs of official firmware (the file used to reflash iLiad from CF). Because in the first time boot, a template registry.xml will be created, and my original registry.xml (on iLiad) was over-written. Since the template registry.xml has not been added a shell access entry, it's quite normal that shell access disappears.

The solution is to create a bootable CF and ensure that its registry.xml is modified (so that shell acces is granted). After booting from CF, modify (or overwrite) the template registry.xml on /dev/tffsa7. In ordinary circumstance, /dev/tffsa7 is mounted to /mnt/settings.

So, if you want to create a bootable CF, do remember to create a dir /mnt/settings in your CF and copy all contents in /mnt/settings on you iLiad to that dir. Besides, modifying /etc/fstab (on CF) and removing the entry for /dev/tffsa7 is also required, so that your bootable will not mount /dev/tffsa7 as /mnt/settings and overwrite your working registry.xml.

I still haven't figured out why the bootalbe CF can only be used once. So, after it's created, don't use it immediately. Do remember dd your CF so that you can dd it back again.

Last edited by ericshliao; 02-12-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #24
ericshliao
Guru

I think I know how to make the bootable CF re-usable now. On the CF, in /var, remove a symbolic link "registry", and then the CF will be always bootable. The theory behind the veil is still unknown to me. (Wrong info. Ignore the above. The right answer is provided down below.)

So, the steps to create a bootable CF should be:
1. Make a ext2 partition on a CF of 128 MB or above.
2. Mount the CF on iLiad. The command should look like "mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf".
3. Copy everything on iLiad rootfs to /mnt/cf.
4. Create a directory "/mnt/cf/mnt/settings" and copy everything under "/mnt/settings" to that directory.
4. Edit /mnt/cf/etc/fstab and remark the line with /dev/tffsa1 (the iLiad rootfs), /dev/tffsa7 (/mnt/settings) and /dev/hda1 (the CF).
5. Delete a symbolic link "registry" under /mnt/cf/var. (Not necessary. Ignore this step)
6. Create a dummy directory (by copying a sibling directory) under "/mnt/cf/usr/share/contentlister/mode/en" so that you can differentiate whether iLiad boots from CF.
7. echo "boot" > /mnt/cf/config.txt

Now, iLiad developers can do more experiements on the device without touching the rootfs on iLiad.

Note (very important):
Some unknown program will create a "logfile.txt" in /. If iLiad got turned off without calling proper routines, it will cause "logfile.txt" not closed correctly and damage the filesystem on the bootable CF, which makes the bootable CF NOT re-usable. To avoid this problem, iLiad must be turned off by pushing the turn-off button.
This is only the case for bootable CF. It won't affect normal iLiad rootfs.

Last edited by ericshliao; 03-13-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #25
Arco Witter
Arco Witter began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Could someone do this and make an image which I could use on CF?

I don't know much about Linux, but I can read all scripts, so would love to invest some more time on optimizing this device.
Because the fear of destroying the iLiad, I do not change anything on it. Booting from CF would be the best alternative.
Arco Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #26
ericshliao
Guru

The contents of a bootable CF is iRex's property. It's not distributable unless under the consent of iRex.

Perhaps a working solution is to distribute a shell script capable of executing a series of linux commands.

Last edited by ericshliao; 08-21-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #27
Arco Witter
Arco Witter began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
The contents of a bootable CF is iRex's property. It's not distributable unless under the consent of iRex.

Perhaps a working solution is to distribute a shell script capable of executing a series of linux commands.
So you abandoned this idea?
iRex abandoned everything, so we cannot heal our books from the bugs currently in it? (I am referring to no wifi-connections and the 5 pages flip problems)
Arco Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #28
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco Witter View Post
So you abandoned this idea?
Pardon me. What do you mean "this idea"? I don't quite understand.