Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
ColMac
Connoisseur
ColMac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Numbers discrepancy

I have a possible problem I'd like some help with.

As you can see from the first image, Calibre reports 1,227 EPUBs, and 325 PDFs. A total of 1,552. In addition, I have 8 books listed with no formats (not published yet) making the total of 1,560 as shown at the foot.

When I do a maintenance check, Calibre reports no errors and that files match up (see second image).

However, when I do a Windows search on the Database folder, Windows reports 1,224 EPUBs and 324 PDFs - a total of 1,548 or 4 less than I had expected.

I went back to Calibre and checked, and no books have multiple formats, also, all books (other than the 8 already identified) have no formats.

Checking authors was my next thought, but Windows has only 155 folders for the 657 authors showing in Calibre (I have a few Anthologies)! So that is not going to be an easy match-up.

So am I right to be querying this or is there an obvious solution I've not thought of? If there isn't, can anyone suggest an easy way to identify the 3 EPUBs and 1 PDF that appear to be in Calibre, but are not saved where I expect them to be.

Thanks,

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	158462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	158463  

Last edited by ColMac; 08-15-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
ColMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Have you ever accessed the library with Linux?
That can cause Case issues that Windows does not deal with nicely.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
ColMac
Connoisseur

No I've never used Linux.

Also I basically re-built a new database today from a backup so it should be clean

Colin
Old 08-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you sure all the eBooks are actually there?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
ColMac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure all the eBooks are actually there?
No!

But short of individually clicking every single one, I don't know how to do that any other way.

I thought that "Library maintenance" did that check!

Colin
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Do a check disk to ensure Windows has no disk errors.

As a last resort, create a new library and copy all books to it. Compare the new library counts to the old library counts.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Do a check disk to ensure Windows has no disk errors.

As a last resort, create a new library and copy all books to it. Compare the new library counts to the old library counts.
That's a very good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ColMac - if a book has multiple authors e.g. Jane Doe & Mary Smith there will only be an author folder for the primary author - i.e. Jane Doe.

A search for formats:false will show you the books with no format files.

I wouldn't use WDS for counting things by type, I'd use my 3rd party file manager (xplorer²) or Agent Ransack.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #9
ColMac
Connoisseur

Did a disk check (although I do one regularly anyway) and no errors reported.

Creating a new library was what I did yesterday, but I planned to try again just in case.

Also tried search for formats:false and that only threw up the 8 cases I know about.

Next I did a Windows search again. This time I got the same answer from Windows as from Calibre. So 1,227 EPUBs and 325 PDFs. Problem not solved, but gone away!

Strange!!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Colin