Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
ohowsherocks
ohowsherocks began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre Portable
Can you link book series together?

I have an author who has taken an old series and changed the series name, the book titles and the covers then added a new book. I know the old book names, covers and titles so I will keep them. I will add the new names and covers with the old books to the new series. I want to be able to link them somehow.
I have run across similar problems with books that have links to another series so I have tried to fix this by creating a new column for “Series 2”. I just don’t notice it since I use it so rarely. Is there a better way?
ohowsherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohowsherocks View Post
I have an author who has taken an old series and changed the series name, the book titles and the covers then added a new book. I know the old book names, covers and titles so I will keep them. I will add the new names and covers with the old books to the new series. I want to be able to link them somehow.
I have run across similar problems with books that have links to another series so I have tried to fix this by creating a new column for “Series 2”. I just don’t notice it since I use it so rarely. Is there a better way?
Add a series-like column and put the alternate there.
also
Add (define) a 'group search" in Preferences: Searchingat the bottom)
Use the group search name when searching OR Search Similar Series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ohowsherocks - I link related books via a custom column (#relbook/Related, Long text, Side heading, HTML) that references a common Evernote Note. I do the the same for Authors with pseudonyms, in this case I put the link to the EN Note in the Author Link field.

Evernote (and OneNote) provide URI links for their 'notes/sections' that can be used in the same way a Web URL is used - except they have a prefix of evernote: or onenote: rather than http(s):.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
ColMac
Connoisseur
ColMac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
@betterred

I was reading this old post and saw your suggestion about linking to OneNote (or Evernote).

I like the sound of that and would like to play with some thoughts on how I might use it.

Followed your instructions, and have created a link and a new column in Calibre. But I can't seem to get the link itself to work inside Calibre. (it works fine if I place it on the Desktop) Its just that inside Calibre the whole line is selected, and clicking on the line opens the book in the default reader.

Is there a "Look & Feel" setting I need to change.

Thanks

Colin
ColMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColMac View Post
@betterred

I was reading this old post and saw your suggestion about linking to OneNote (or Evernote).

I like the sound of that and would like to play with some thoughts on how I might use it.

Followed your instructions, and have created a link and a new column in Calibre. But I can't seem to get the link itself to work inside Calibre. (it works fine if I place it on the Desktop) Its just that inside Calibre the whole line is selected, and clicking on the line opens the book in the default reader.

Is there a "Look & Feel" setting I need to change.

Thanks

Colin
You have to click on the link in Book Details or open the cell with F2 and click the link in the Normal View. You can't click the link as it appears in the book list itself.

For this reason, and to save space, I mask these sort of cells with an icon to indicate presence of a value without showing the value (i.e. the link).

I also eschew using pointing devices, so the Control behaviour of the book list->doubleclick_on_library_view Tweak is set to 'do_nothing'

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #6
ColMac
Connoisseur
ColMac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Many thanks.

That explains it perfectly.

I'll have a play with it now

Thanks again