Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
PRS+ "Invalid Type" error - Sony 505

I downloaded the latest PRS+ software yesterday put it in the main memory of my Sony PRS505. It seemed to be working but then I got a message that said "invalid type". Can anyone let me know what this means?

When I restarted the Sony the original menu was still working.

I had removed all books from the Sony and no SD card was inserted.

Later I could not get the Sony to have another go at loading the PRS+ software. I tried copying fresh files to the Sony but the PRS+ software would not autoload.

Thanks
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
PRS+ can NOT simply disappear once you've installed it (unless you uninstall it/install other firmware over it). However if reader is connected to USB during boot, PRS+ simply doesn't start.

It is very easy to get corrupt file system on older models, that's why you should restart the reader and boot in safe mode, to delete installer.

I'm not sure what could have caused "Invalid Type" .

Last edited by kartu; 08-04-2011 at 04:53 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
PRS+ can NOT disappear once you've installed it.. However if reader is connected to USB during boot, PRS+ simply doesn't start.

It is very easy to get corrupt file system on older models, that's why you should restart the reader and boot in safe mode, to delete installer.

I'm not sure what could have caused "Invalid Type" .
Sorry I should have been clearer. PRS+ did not disappear, it did not install. The error message happened quite early in the process just after a comment about partitions.

When I booted the Sony again, the PRS+ installation process did not start again. Instead the Sony went to its normal menu home screen.

I will have to find out haw to boot the Sony to safe mode.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi vans,

if PRS+ isn't installed there is no safe-mode.
(With PRS+ starting up the reader (after reset or full shutdown) connect to USB will prevent PRS+ from loading = safe mode = standard Sony FW)

I, for my own, install PRS+ with a SD-Card onto my PRS-505.
See http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide

As all books are backed up I suggest you format internal memory via settings - advanced settings - format memory

then extract the PRS+505 v2.012 installer ZIP and copy the folder PRSInstaller to the root of an empty SD-Card (512MB will suffice).

Insert the card into the SD-card-slot and follow the instructions on screen.
Process will end with a automatic reboot. You can remove the SC-card, otherwise the installer will start up again.
HTH
Mark

Last edited by Mark Nord; 08-04-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
vans
Zealot

I may be doing this wrong?

After unpacking the zip file I get a folder "PRSPinstaller" going down a couple of levels I get a folder "software" Inside that folder are other folders and files:

Data
Firmware
Languages
Tools
autorun.xml
installer.js
piAssets.png

These are the files I put either in root SD card or root device.

The first time I did this I got the loading circular arrows and at the top of the screen some PRS+ warnings and instructions. I tried to install PRS+ but it stopped with the error message in my first post.

Since then, I cannot get my Sony 505 to start the install process. I have put the files on the sd card and the device (not at the same time). I have tried using setting to close down the device and reboot it. Nothing happens.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Hi,
just put the whole folder "PRSPInstaller" in IM or to your SD.
Just the folder with all the sub-folders within.

Installation should start right after disconnect form USB, or if you use an external card-reader, just after inserting the card into the SD-card slot.

Make sure your reader isn't conneted to USB.

This should do the trick.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
vans
Zealot

I put the folder in root IM and the PRS+ installation started again.

Thanks for the advice.

However, I got the same error message as before, here is a screen shot. It mentions having the wrong firmware. I have downloaded the earlier firmware from Sony but I was unable to load it using the Sony installer exe file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prspi-screenshot.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	75154  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

"downgrade" to 1.1.0.18040 should be done automatic, thats why the partitions of your current fw are saved, next step should be the flashing of the 1.1... rootfs.

Are you sure that the IM of your reader is empty (beside the installer files)?
Quote:
when installing PRS+ on non US version of the reader, make sure that you have at least 50mb of free space on internal memory. This space is needed for the backup of the original firmware. (you can delete/save backup files somewhere else after the installation)
If I remember correctly (I'm at work, no device nearby) that there is a Expert-Mode in the Installer-Main-Menu.

You can try this and force installation of rootfs and fsk-partition.

You can also use the PRS+ Uninstaller from the project page to setup 1.1. 0.18040. This is a standard-sony-fw-updater modified in only one way, so that it will work with all possible fw-versions.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
vans
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
"downgrade" to 1.1.0.18040 should be done automatic, thats why the partitions of your current fw are saved, next step should be the flashing of the 1.1... rootfs.

Are you sure that the IM of your reader is empty (beside the installer files)?

If I remember correctly (I'm at work, no device nearby) that there is a Expert-Mode in the Installer-Main-Menu.

You can try this and force installation of rootfs and fsk-partition.

You can also use the PRS+ Uninstaller from the project page to setup 1.1. 0.18040. This is a standard-sony-fw-updater modified in only one way, so that it will work with all possible fw-versions.

No I did not delete the original files in IM because I have no ebooks loaded and there was more than 50MB of free space.

I will delete the original Sony folders

Digital Editions
Database

I will then let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
vans
Zealot

I deleted all the folders in MI and this caused the "loading" circular arrows to rotate slowly for about 2 hours at which point I gave up and pasted the folders back into the IM. It took a couple of hard resets to get the 505 into a position to successfully connect to my PC and working again.

With the original files back in IM but no ebooks there is over 200MB free.

After another couple of attempt to install PRS+ I went back to the developer site and downloaded an earlier, non beta installer and tried this one. Unfortunately I got exactly the same error message.

I think I will give up for a while and try again later.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Hello vans!

This sound strange. Flashing any PRS+ is a matter of secondes, it should never take that long, or show this kind of behaviour.

As kartu says
Quote:
It is very easy to get corrupt file system on older models,
which seams is the case with your device. (Scanning for ever, a.s.o)

Have you really done "hard-resets" (Sony_Reader_Start-Up_and_Reset_Guide or just pressed the reset-botton?

Difference is: soft-rest (pressing reset-button and flipp the power-switch) is a cold restart of the OS - with unchanged file-system, while a true "hard-reset" with holding down buttons while restarting resets the device to factory-defaults and formats IM)

Have you ever tried to format IM?
Quote:
As all books are backed up I suggest you format internal memory via settings - advanced settings - format memory
For what it's worth:
stop thinking, stop worrying,
do a true hard-reset and try installing from a SD-Card, that's the way it is/was done thousends of times.

Good luck
Mark
Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #12
vans
Zealot

Quote:
Hello vans!

This sound strange. Flashing any PRS+ is a matter of secondes, it should never take that long, or show this kind of behaviour.

As kartu says
which seams is the case with your device. (Scanning for ever, a.s.o)

Have you really done "hard-resets" (Sony_Reader_Start-Up_and_Reset_Guide or just pressed the reset-botton?

Difference is: soft-rest (pressing reset-button and flipp the power-switch) is a cold restart of the OS - with unchanged file-system, while a true "hard-reset" with holding down buttons while restarting resets the device to factory-defaults and formats IM)

Have you ever tried to format IM?

For what it's worth:
stop thinking, stop worrying,
do a true hard-reset and try installing from a SD-Card, that's the way it is/was done thousends of times.

Good luck
Mark
Thanks

No I just pushed the reset button. I will not have time today but I will try a hard reset tomorrow.

I did try to format the IM a few days ago, but once again all that happened was the "!" icon was displayed for about an hour or so. How long should formatting take?

Last edited by vans; 08-05-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #13
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
How long should formatting take?
Merely up to a minute. Or not much longer then a ordinary restart will take.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #14
vans
Zealot

Quote:
Merely up to a minute. Or not much longer then a ordinary restart will take.
Thanks.

I have tried the hard reset, but still got the invalid type error. So I started the format of the IM about ten or fifteen minutes ago and the "!" icon is still showing. I will leave it another half hour and do a soft reset.

I am starting to wonder if there is a hardware fault with the IM. I have not really tested the IM. I have only put two books on it, the rest are on the 4GB sd card.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #15
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

At this point, I'm stuck.

May be kartu will jump in with some advice?