Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworthjohnca View Post
Will it run the Kindle iPhone app?
It's in direct competition with an Apple app. Unless they take a radically different line to the iPhone? No.

Also, anyone know what kind of DRM they're using on their ePub's?
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #17
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
It's in direct competition with an Apple app. Unless they take a radically different line to the iPhone? No.
The iPhone has a Kindle app.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #18
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Hmm...no...I don't see iBooks on the iPhone.

That's the difference.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #19
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
The iPhone had the Kindle and B&N Reader apps before iBook was out. If Apple pulled them, we may end up with riots.

@O.P. Can you find out from your friend whether the Kindle, B&N Reader, and Stanza work on the iPad? And how they look, if possible?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #20
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
The iPhone had the Kindle and B&N Reader apps before iBook was out. If Apple pulled them, we may end up with riots.

@O.P. Can you find out from your friend whether the Kindle, B&N Reader, and Stanza work on the iPad? And how they look, if possible?
Apple can pull those for iPad only, and leave them available for iPhones.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #21
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:

There might be a little issue here running current Kindle for iPhone on iPad.

As said in the Ipad launch event, Ipad CAN run Iphone apps natively, but there was a little detail to it, for Ipad does that in two modes:

1.) in Iphone native resolution (so you get just a small box on Ipad display)
2.) in Ipad full screen, by stretching the Iphone resolution to full Ipad screen

Even if Kindle for Iphone worked on Ipad, both of the two modes wouldn't do it - in my opinion - for a long confortable eyes-friendly reading:

- ad 1) the text would be too mall
- ad 2) the text would be blurred/pixelated and very little can be done with magical extrapolation/antialiasing solutions Ipad may have, whatsoever.

Do these speculations make sense?
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #22
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've noticed Apple has greatly eased its policy of rejecting apps that compete with "core functionality". There are now many music apps (including some that let you download music to the device), camera apps, web browsers, messaging apps, calendars and phone/VOIP apps. All of these compete with the iPhone's core functions. I would be extremely surprised if Apple blocked ebook apps on the iPad.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:29 AM   #23
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
There might be a little issue here running current Kindle for iPhone on iPad.

As said in the Ipad launch event, Ipad CAN run Iphone apps natively, but there was a little detail to it, for Ipad does that in two modes:

1.) in Iphone native resolution (so you get just a small box on Ipad display)
2.) in Ipad full screen, by stretching the Iphone resolution to full Ipad screen

Even if Kindle for Iphone worked on Ipad, both of the two modes wouldn't do it - in my opinion - for a long confortable eyes-friendly reading:

- ad 1) the text would be too mall
- ad 2) the text would be blurred/pixelated and very little can be done with magical extrapolation/antialiasing solutions Ipad may have, whatsoever.

Do these speculations make sense?
short term yes but the new sdk allows existing apps to be updated for teh resolution so IF kindle app is allowed then the resolution would soon follow so become a non issue.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #24
DawnFalcon
Banned

Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #25
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
short term yes but the new sdk allows existing apps to be updated for teh resolution so IF kindle app is allowed then the resolution would soon follow so become a non issue.
That was exactly, implicitly, the point I was trying to make.
If Amazon WANTS to release Kindle of Ipad, by recompiling or remaking it with Ipad SDK, they can do it (and I suppose Apple would be happy with that).

But if it doesn't, then the native Kindle for Iphone may not be the optimal solution for reading Kindle-Amazon books on Ipad.

It's up to Amazon, I'd say (unless, of course, someone doesn't hack kindle for Iphone after all, but here you'd need to break both from Amazon's and Apple's jail).
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

He will not know until he goes back to finish shooting the spots (I have to ask him when that might be). As I said, he is not an ebook reader person, so he didn't check out related apps beyond the iBooks app.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Why doesn't someone who is interested send Amazon Kindle Customer Support an email and ask about Kindle for iPad (I have no interest in purchasing an iPad). It would be the fastest way to find out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Not me but I'm working with a friend who has spent the past month on and off shooting the commercials for the iPad (they aren't finished). He can talk some now because of the announcement.

He has played with the beta software version of it. Based on my quick questions:

- it's close in weight to the Kindle though thicker and bigger
- even here in L.A. where AT&T has issues, the OS was snappy when web surfing
- he called it a "Kindle Killer" - he's not an ebook reader type person so I explained why that was wrong (and not just for the Kindle)
- he liked it but said it was really just "okay" and it really is a niche market product
- it really is just a big iPod Touch

I can throw some questions at him today and tomorrow and post responses as I have time.
Assuming that 2.4 times as heavy as the Kindle for the lightest model iPad is "close in weight," that would be an accurate statement.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-28-2010 at 09:08 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #29
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Assuming that 2.4 times as heavy as the Kindle for the lightest model iPad is "close in weight," that would be an accurate statement.
Maybe he meant the Kindle DX, which is about the same screen size, and few ounces lighter.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #30
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
My big question is can it stream data from a local network server?

If I have a PC in my other room loaded with 100gb of music and 100gb of videos, can I use the iPad to view that media as it is streamed from the PC (or my macbook pro). I know you had to use third party software to get local network streaming on the iPhone, I hope it's integrated.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote