Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Exclamation Kindle 3 diagonal hairline crack in bezel - replacement, same thing!

This is odd enough that I have to tell someone about it.

Reading a thread here on how difficult it is for Canadians to get a replacement Kindle (as it turns out, it's not!) because of a crack in the plastic bezel surrounding the screen, I decided to check my original K3.

Guess what! I saw a hairline crack in the bezel, right off the lower right-hand side of the screen (not on the screen, but in the plastic bezel), running in a complete diagonal for one-half an inch. It didn't look too serious, but because I was concerned for the longevity of my K3, I called Amazon.

The replacement process was easy and fair. Now, because I'm Canadian, they charged me for a new K3, immediately refunded me for a K3 (i.e. no net cost to me), and told me to ship the old one back to them when the replacement arrived, and to write on the shipping box what I'd paid for shipping and insurance (so that they might refund me that amount as well).

Fair enough, I thought.

That was Monday evening. When I came home Wednesday, the replacement was waiting for me. Guess what? *Exactly* the same crack in the same place!

I called again, and to make a long story short, I'm being shipped a second replacement (I was also offered a "partial refund or credit" if I wished to keep one of them, but I didn't pursue it and didn't get details because I want one undamaged K3). Of course, now I'm packing up and shipping two Kindles to Amazon (at my own temporary expense), but hopefully it'll work out.

I'll let everyone know what happens, but I can't help but wonder if the "diagonal crack emanating from the bottom right-hand of the bezel" isn't some sort of endemic flaw...

I sure hope my third K3 is flawless. It's an amazing device and I've sold several friends on it.

Brian.

P.S. If you haven't checked out Calibre, you're missing out on half your ereader. One month of using ereaders and I sent the author $50 -- it's that good!

Last edited by bmacaskill; 01-19-2011 at 08:54 PM.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I've looked at my Kindle 3G+WiFi and I don't have a crack there. Its a B00A bought in the UK.

Its very strange that you got two units with the crack though. I guess you ended up with the same batch maybe for both? Its definitely not normal and I'd have done the same thing as you and sent them back for replacement.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I've looked at my Kindle 3G+WiFi and I don't have a crack there. Its a B00A bought in the UK.

Its very strange that you got two units with the crack though. I guess you ended up with the same batch maybe for both? Its definitely not normal and I'd have done the same thing as you and sent them back for replacement.
It may not have been clear in my original post that the first unit must have developed the crack over time -- I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it at first.

The support fellow asked me if I thought it was possible the second unit (the first replacement) suffered the crack in shipping. I suggested I thought that unlikely, given that the first unit (the original) wasn't cracked when I first received it, yet the cracks were identical.

P.S. If I'm reading the serial number correctly, my unit is a B006.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

My Kindle was one of the first batches since I preordered it very early and I've been using it nearly every day so far. No cracks that I can see on this one but its possible that some of the casings weren't correctly made and you're seeing a seam open up caused by how the plastic was injected.

B00A is the European/International version of the Kindle 3G+WiFi. It just has a different SIM inside. B006 has AT&T and the B00A has Vodafone. They're the same apart from that.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
bmacaskill
Enthusiast

Quote:
B00A is the European/International version of the Kindle 3G+WiFi. It just has a different SIM inside. B006 has AT&T and the B00A has Vodafone. They're the same apart from that.
Except that the B006 can't be AT&T in Canada, because that's not one of our providers. I must be either Rogers or Bell.
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
You know ... now that you bring this up, my Kindle has the exact same crack. A small diagonal hairline crack in the plastic bezel, but mine is on the bottom-left. I remember seeing it the other day for the first time, and buffing at it with my thumb thinking it was a hair. When it didn't move I looked closer and thought I had simply scratched the plastic somehow.

Now that I look closer I can see it is actually a crack ...

Ugh, I'd hate to replace it. I sort of develop a sentimental relationship with my gadgets, but with the paint on the keys rubbing off and now this crack, I might have to bite the bullet and ask for a replacement. Sad times.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have read other accounts of similar cracking. Most (all???) have been in the graphite colored one.

It appears that they propagate off the lower corners of the screen. There must be a stress point under the case in that location. So if the graphite is the one, is the coloring material to blame changing the properties of the case or do they get assembled on a different line and different forms were used to create the upper-case component?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacaskill View Post
Except that the B006 can't be AT&T in Canada, because that's not one of our providers. I must be either Rogers or Bell.
Its got an AT&T SIM but it roams onto another network. Amazon have deals in place with various carriers around the world and the Kindle will use those networks even if its got a Vodafone or AT&T SIM. In some countries it even roams onto a competitor of Vodafone as Amazon have a better deal with them.

Look at the end of the box that the Kindle came in where the person reading a book barcode is. That sticker should have a box that says Network which is what the SIM inside your Kindle is. All the B006s have AT&T SIMs.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I'm not in Canada but my K3 has a similar crack. I saw it right away when I opened it and thought it was a hair or something and was trying to pick it out.

I thought about exchanging it but then decided to live with it as I thought it was unique to my Kindle and gave it personality. You guys just blew that one right out of the water for me.

It's so tiny, and nobody notices it except me, so I still think I won't worry about it.

Mine is on the bottom, about 1/3 of the way from the bottom right corner. It is in the edge of the bezel where it sits against the screen.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
This is a little bit of a tangent. I had a Kindle 2, purchased in November of 2009. I recently noted that the right page turn button had gone spongy -- it still worked, but I have some past experience with these micro-switches, and I was afraid that it would fail completely. I called Amazon CS to ask about warranty info, and was told that my warranty had expired and was put briefly on hold. When the rep returned, he apologized for putting me on hold (for all of about 30 seconds), and told me that they'd send me a replacement. I'm also in Canada. The replacement was at my door in less than 48 hours, and I was sent by email a UPS return label. I was never charged anything, never paid any duties, etc. I did have a notice stating that if I did not return the original Kindle I would be charged full price for it.

One other funny thing. When I began to copy things to the new Kindle, including Duokan, I kept getting copy failures. I tried loading the same files to the old Kindle -- no problem. I was only having trouble with the new (reconditioned Kindle). I was about to call CS again, when I decided to try the new mini usb cable that came with the replacement. Bingo! Absolutely no problem since. The mini-usb cable I had been using was not an official Amazon Kindle cable, yet it had always worked with the old Kindle 2. Always check your connecting cables!

Again, Amazon customer service is truly excellent. That is one of the main reasons that I chose the Kindle over other ereaders. That, and a very good book selection.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
One other funny thing. When I began to copy things to the new Kindle, including Duokan, I kept getting copy failures. I tried loading the same files to the old Kindle -- no problem. I was only having trouble with the new (reconditioned Kindle). I was about to call CS again, when I decided to try the new mini usb cable that came with the replacement. Bingo! Absolutely no problem since. The mini-usb cable I had been using was not an official Amazon Kindle cable, yet it had always worked with the old Kindle 2. Always check your connecting cables!
Weird. I guess the USB socket on the new Kindle is slightly looser or something compared to the old one so your existing cable didn't make a very good contact. The cable for a K2 is a standard Mini USB and they changed it to Micro USB for the K3.

Good to hear that Kindle CS are taking care of you even though your warranty has expired!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Again, Amazon customer service is truly excellent. That is one of the main reasons that I chose the Kindle over other ereaders. That, and a very good book selection.
I have been shopping with Amazon since they first started out just as a book seller. They have been so good to me over the years that I buy anything I can there. I am a lifetime Amazon customer.

That's the main reason I didn't worry about the tiny crack in my Kindle. I know that if it ever gets bigger or bothers me, they will replace it. They honor warranties far beyond what is written.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 01-20-2011 at 05:44 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Quote:
The cable for a K2 is a standard Mini USB and they changed it to Micro USB for the K3.
It's interesting that you mention that the K2 has a mini-USB port; my K2 (US version) has a micro-USB one, just like my wife's K3.

Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmittell View Post
It's interesting that you mention that the K2 has a mini-USB port; my K2 (US version) has a micro-USB one, just like my wife's K3.

Larry
Yes, I'm pretty sure that my K2 had a micro-USB connector.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-21-2011 at 03:24 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure that my K2 had a micro-USB connector.
My bad. Guess I'm remembering wrong!

Tags
canada, canadian, crack, kindle 3