Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #16
gbdesai
gbdesai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Don't know if I got bad info, but I just purchased the last in store reader here in the Chicago area. They told me that I couldn't get the extended plan for online orders, but they probably wanted to sell it to me on a new device. I got sick of waiting and have a trip soon. Now I have one in hand. I have another on the way that should arrive in a few days.

G

P.S. If anyone wants to buy it from me let me know, I don't want to make money on it, just enough to cover the device plus the tax I paid locally, shipping, and any paypal fees (maybe something like $450 plus whatever shipping options you want). PM if interested or I will just return it back to Sony once I receive it. I can also bring it on my trip to Fremont, CA (will be there starting next Saturday) if someone wants to pick it up locally.
gbdesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
tmastern
tmastern began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I don't normally go for the extended warranties either, but, as others have stated, it seems like a decent deal in this case. The sales guy assured me that everything was covered, except in case of loss/theft. Time will tell!
tmastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #18
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I just ordered mine by phone ~ 2 years. Another *ka-ching*.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #19
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hmmm... I called the 877-865-SONY number just now and was told nothing came up on their screen so couldn't sell me an extended warranty. But gave me this number... 1-866-766-9259 for their ESP department. They are closed now, so may be on central or eastern time.

In the meantime, has anyone gotten the extended warranty who ordered online originally? Were there multiple choices of what to get?

I'll give it another try tomorrow or next time I remember.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #20
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I ordered the warranty by phone. I told them what I wanted and they looked it up for me. There were options depending on the length of the warranty. They told me it takes 3 weeks before it will be shipped. (?!)
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #21
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The warranty is administered by a third party insurance company (like most extended service plans), you're probably just getting the "policy" in the mail stating what is covered, who to contact, etc...
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #22
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here's some live updates on my warranty search.

I called the ESP number that I was given by Sony Style (because Sony Style said they couldn't help me). After a "fun" wait in the queue, they told me that they couldn't help me without an invitation number. I explained the history, and they put me on hold while I assumed they were checking on it. After another long wait, I found I was transferred into yet another queue. Still waiting...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #23
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Awesome Bob, now you have more time to read on your reader!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #24
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

After a wait, I'm now I'm at Sony Customer Assistance and they tell me that they can't help me, so will transfer me to Sony Sales! I asked them to walk me through the handoff so I don't end up in a queue maze again.

Don't know if that happened, but I did end up with someone that seems to be able to help me. He put me on hold again, but very friendly and said good things about the Reader. In fact, it sounds like he may buy one himself, so he's on my good side! Of course, I told him that he really should get one, and recommended MobileRead to him.

Yeah, success!
And here's a few lessons for those that come after me...

* The number to call is 1-877-518-7669 (Sony Style Sales)
* You should have handy your order number, serial number from the device, and a credit card.
* You have an option between an extended warranty (2yrs=$24.99, 3yrs=$39.99, 4yrs=59.99) and an Accidental Damage warranty (2yrs=$44.99, 3yrs=$69.99, 4yrs=99.99).

I chose 2yrs accidental damage because I wanted protection against a broken screen if I drop it or sit on it or something. And by two years from now I'll "have to have" the next great reading device, so no sense in more than 2yrs for me!

The process may be slightly different if you didn't order online, but this should be close. There also might be a warranty offer that comes later to me in the mail, but I haven't received anything so far.

BTW, A special thanks to Devin, who is the one at the Sony Style Sales group that finally was able to help me and who seemed enthusiastic about the Reader. If anyone has an especially tough time with this process for any reason, feel free to PM me for his direct extension. But I think once you get to the right group it shouldn't be a problem.

This little adventure just goes to prove what Captain Dylan Hunt of the Andromeda TV series says... "It's never easy!"
Old 01-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #25
rsuryase
Enthusiast
rsuryase began at the beginning.

I'm wary of this kind of accidental plan, what if they say according to their policy that it's not an accident and it's actually your fault and deny free replacement. Isn't it easy for someone just to break the device and tell the SONY rep that it's an accident so they'll get a replacement? I was told by a Best Buy rep that it's just another way of making an extra buck off the customers. BTW, SONY won't replace products over $250, so what happens if the Reader is beyond repair? Will they refuse to do anything or sell a replacement/refurbished unit at a lower cost?

Last edited by rsuryase; 01-22-2007 at 06:37 AM.
rsuryase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It may be easier to investigate getting it covered on your house contents insurance. I don't know if it's different in the US, but most home insurance policies here in the UK can be extended to cover accidental damage, and damage away from the home.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #27
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono
Hi Michele,

I purchased the 2-year one when I bought it at the Sony Store. I figured it was worth it since it covered accidental drops as well. Being a portable device that will see alot of use and travel, there is a chance a drop could happen. If it didn't cover accidental drops wouldn't have bought it. The way I see it, the plan costs $44, if you do happen to drop your Reader and get it replaced, the plan just paid for itself more than 7 times over.
Or if it gets wet and ruined.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote