Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Book Reader Scam on eBay

I have been watching eBay for a Book Reader, since I am overseas. I found an auction for one with a message saying that it would cost $250 for the reader but to contact him off site. Also, there was a strange picture in the auction and it was in the wrong location. I emailed him and got this in return.

Hi, the system is new in box, 1 year warranty, comes with all accesories. My paypal adress is unavailable at this time and i require the payment through western union money transfer. I will ship within 24 hours after the payment is done using the UPS Air Services so you may receive the unit in less then 72 hours.
For our protection we will do this deal trough ebay and our transaction will be supervised by ebay safe harbour team.

The total amount is 250 $ including the shipping and insurance fees.

If you wish to start the transaction i will need the following info :

Ebay Username :
First Name :
Last name :
Address :
City :
State :
Zip Code :
Email address :

I will contact ebay as soon as i receive the info. In shortly time you will receive an invoice from ebay. You must read carefully the invoice. There you will have all instructions about payment.

Regards

Yep, I fell of the turnip truck yesterday. I know a fun thing to do is to string these guy along but I can't be bothered. I would put a link to the eBay auction but they removed it.

The search continues.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I bought mine from eBay, but at a premium - US$450. That seems to be about the going rate. The guy I bought mine from seemed to be selling lots of them, and was very good to deal with. His eBay ID is "epicnovel". Might be worth seeing if he has any active auctions for them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Don't forget, there are people on this forum who are willing to buy Readers and ship them overseas. You can search the threads here, or you can try the Flea Market thread. I don't know how well you can trust the people on eBay--or here, for that matter.

It usually helps to have incriminating photos.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I watch eBay more for interest sake; to follow the marking asking price. I am still holding out in hopes of finding a Chinese model (where I live now) that is reasonably priced. I don't want to get a V8 if the V2 will be out soon and the StarEBook seems too proprietary and expensive. I still may get a Sony but I will wait for the price to drop. Now, if Amazon releases theirs for $50...
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 AM   #5
Tom Swift
Addict

What I find funny about the eBay auctions is that most of the readers for sale are shipping to US only. Now why would an American, who can walk into a Borders store or one of the online dealers, pay a premium for one of these? The eBay market is only useful to foreign buyers who cannot purchase one from Sony, yet most of the ads restrict them from bidding. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Advert
Old 11-29-2006, 03:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the Reader widely available in stock in shops in the US? I see that Sony's on-line store is quoting a ship time of several weeks, and I assumed that this was the reason they were selling on eBay for prices higher than retail.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
stxopher
Nameless Being

Perhaps they are more available than people think. I found 3 places in town that had them for sale (when Sony was saying 4-6 weeks for online). Two Borders and a CompUSA.

None of them had a display and only one even knew they had them. I picked mine up at the CompUSA but it was a bit of a search. After spending 10 minutes looking around for a display, unit on a stand, sign, map fragment, anything, I asked a clerk (who had never heard of it) who looked it up, agreed that they should have that "Sony book thing" and called a floor manager.

We finally found them in the PDA area case (makes sense), on the bottom, behind the counter. Behind some other Sony items. Managers response? "Guess they got moved there because no one was buying them."

The moral? Ask! And if you have heard that a particular chain carries them (or will carry them) have them check their inventory. Heck, even Sonys site only listed one of the locations as having them so even that is pretty unreliable.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Many people when selling on eBay say US only because there is a market for the goods here and they don't want to deal with the hassle and scams of trying to ship to foreign addresses. Here anyway it is harder to ship out of the country, has variable fees making it harder to quote shipping rates and you have to worry about customs. If you can sell the goods internally for the same price with less hassle, why not say US only?

As for the cost, if you buy the reader here for $350 + tax (say 6% = $21) + international shipping and packing (say $15) + paypal fees (about $16) + ebay fees (about $16), that is around $420 to just break even, so the $450 price is pretty reasonable. $500, not so much.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Compusa.com had these in stock as of yesterday anyway - in fact my partner ordered one from them a few days ago and it shipped next day!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
As for the cost, if you buy the reader here for $350 + tax (say 6% = $21) + international shipping and packing (say $15) + paypal fees (about $16) + ebay fees (about $16), that is around $420 to just break even, so the $450 price is pretty reasonable. $500, not so much.
I paid $450 + $35 "priority shipping" to the UK, plus another $130 import duties and VAT when it got here; that's a total of $615. I think it was worth every penny .
Old 11-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher
We finally found them in the PDA area case (makes sense), on the bottom, behind the counter. Behind some other Sony items.
What? No "Beware of the Leopard" sign? I'm disappointed.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
William Moates
Zealot

Jeez, I didn't catch the reference and had to google it! Sounds like I need to reread HHG, one of my most favorite books. It was the first book when, while reading it, I would quote passages to my friends. Ahh, good times.

Last edited by William Moates; 11-29-2006 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Must everything have a reason?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's probably my favorite line of all time ... except maybe for: "you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."
Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
William Moates
Zealot

The Princess Bride
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yup, you got it in one.