Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
steottley
steottley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Hi Everyone.

Hiya! Just joined today to try to make some sense of all the stuff about Adobe DE, .LIT, Calibre, ConvertLIT, file formats, etc.

I got my girlfriend a Sony PRS-505 for Xmas and so far she's only used it with the freebie books that came with it. She's now looking at buying ebooks from Waterstones (UK) and they all seem to be in ePub format with DRM - the site keeps banging on about having to use Adobe DE to install them. My girlfriend's already disillusioned with the whole thing: create an ID for this, register with that site, register this device with that software, etc. She just wants to read books.

So, here I am checking out what the simplest method will be: go with DE (the Sony is the only device that the ebooks will be used on) or go for .LIT files and go through the de-DRM and convert process.

No doubt when I've read a few threads I'll have a few questions to ask. This seems like a good forum to get the info that I'll need - you guys seem to know what's what. Hell, I might even read a book or two on it myself - once I know what I'm doing!

Steve.
steottley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MobileRead, steottley!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, steottley, and welcome....lots of advice and friendly people here!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi and welcome!

Once she installs and registers Adobe DE it should be pretty straight forward. I know lots of people here don't use the Sony ebook software and use Calibre instead. I think you have to have to have Adobe DE to buy DRM ebooks or to download from a library. (There are a couple libraries in the UK that have ebooks.)

She also might also check out Fictionwise and WH Smith. If you want free nonDRM books, the books here at MobileRead are excellent.

The Wiki (link found at the very top of this page) has loads of information!

Good luck!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome steottley. You might also want to check out Baen for SF/F books - reasonable prices and be sure to check out their free library. They have books formatted in the LRF (Sony) format and all without DRM. The free library is a great way to meet new authors.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
steottley
steottley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Cheers for the welcome and the info - much obliged. I'll broach the DE subject with my girlfriend at the weekend and see how it goes: I think the apprehension is around some of the horror stories of DE not working properly, and the fundamental objections to DRM. I'll defo pass on the Baen link too.
steottley is offline   Reply With Quote