Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Calibre Content Server & Moon Reader

I've been using Calibre with Moon+ reader Pro without problems for years. I have the content server running, I open Moon Reader, scroll to the net library, and it always connected just fine. Until today, when every time I try to connect it gives me a connection refused error.

It was working fine a couple of days ago, and nothing has been changed on either my computer or my tablet. I've tried everything I can think of- restarting Calibre and the content server, restarting my laptop, restarting my tablet, reinstalling Moon Reader, and absolutely nothing seems to work.

On doing some more checking, Calibre Companion ALSO can't seem to connect to my computer, either as a wireless device or to the content server. I'm stumped.

Please help me figure out what the issue is.

Last edited by diremommy; 08-03-2016 at 08:36 PM.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
'Refused' implies a firewall is now blocking. Security suites update frequently. You man need to 'Allow' Calibre.exe (or the standalone: calibre-server.exe)

Not found/Available would be if it went to the destination IP and no one answered (not running, wrong IP or port)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

I checked that in Windows Firewall, and it says it's in the list of exclusions. I use Avast Free antivirus, is there somewhere to allow it in there, too?

ETA: I totally disabled the Firewall, just to check, and still get refused.

Last edited by diremommy; 08-03-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I checked that in Windows Firewall, and it says it's in the list of exclusions. I use Avast Free antivirus, is there somewhere to allow it in there, too?

ETA: I totally disabled the Firewall, just to check, and still get refused.
Did you set a password on the content server?
Are you using WiFi?
Are you on the right network?
Are Both devices, wireless? Some routers security block peer-peer connections
Old 08-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
diremommy
Zealot

No password
Yes wifi, both laptop and tablet
Yes to right network

And it was working fine a couple of days ago, and as far as I know, nothing changed. I'm running a virus scan now though, because I started getting errors on web browsing, too. Sites I use daily, like Goodreads, are now popping up unsecured certificate errors, might be unrelated, but it still seems weird that both started happening on the same day.
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
diremommy
Zealot

OK, after trying everything else I could think of, regarding my tablet and my laptop, firewalls, updates, antivirus software, etc, I thought to restart my router, and that was it. Back to normal, connecting just fine. So problem solved, and thanks so much for trying to help!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #7
diremommy
Zealot

Well, my issue seems to have cropped up again. Just like last time, everything worked fine a day or two ago, now it keeps timing out, rather than connection refused.

Of course, the first thing I did was reboot my router, but it didn't work. I've since rebooted everything, router, modem, calibre, laptop, tablet, and I still can't connect, either through Moon+ or through Calibre Companion. When I test the server through calibre, it works fine, content server is running, I just can't connect.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

This is most likely a networking issue.

Is your Tablet connecting to YOUR network (SSID / same IP subnet)?

Can you Ping your tablet?

Have you hard coded the IP in the CC settings. Try the default, which locates a server. The IP of your Laptop may have changed unless you took steps
Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 AM   #9
diremommy
Zealot

As far as I know, nothing's changed. Moon reader and calibre, calibre companion, both have the default options from install, and they worked until they didn't. I don't know how to hard code anything, so I doubt that's it, but I reset it to default anyway.

I don't know how to ping my tablet.

Yes, my tablet is definitely on my network, only one I know the info for. I've tried restarting everything, and it still gives the timeout error. I even turned off my firewall and antivirus for a minute, just to check that.

Last edited by diremommy; 08-26-2016 at 01:02 AM.