Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Allucard
Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle touch
Question Kindle Books Categorized as Personal Documents and Not Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's clearly a bug and it needs to be fixed. My, oh my, let me get right on that for you.

Once again, you can have either automatic syncing or content sharing, not both. And that limitation comes from Amazon.
Hello Kovidgoyal. First off thank you for making Calibre such a great program and keeping it free!

About this feature though, it's not so much the fact of content sync or facebook sharing. I think many users only use one device to read so content sync isn't the biggest problem. The real problem in my opinion is the fact that to have your own books (not kindle books) categorized as books and not personal documents, you need to NOT have sharing enabled. When sharing a legitimate book to facebook it will say personal document, not the title of the book. Also, apparently when finishing a book you can't rate or share that fact to facebook althogether and that I'm sure, doesn't affect copyright restricting Amazon may impose.

I little bit off topic but I hate how Amazon is using every trick to kill competition.
Allucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Allucard
Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickz89 View Post
Sorry if I resume the thread, but does anybody know how to get the title and the author of the book instead of "Personal document" when you share a highlight?

Thank you very much.
This is the problem for me too! If you tick the facebook box when converting to MOBI output, all books converted will be considered "Personal Documents" which means no ratings and them being incorrectly categorized as Personal Documents which they aren't.

I hate Amazon with it's DRM more and more each day. I'm using an ereader for the first time, it's my brother's but I'm telling you right now, it's gonna be a Nook for be when I buy mine.
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Allucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickz89 View Post
Sorry if I resume the thread, but does anybody know how to get the title and the author of the book instead of "Personal document" when you share a highlight?

Thank you very much.
FB Sharing is severely crippled if we can't include the name of the book we just read and rate (Personal Documents can't be rated). Please help!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allucard View Post
I hate Amazon with it's DRM more and more each day. I'm using an ereader for the first time, it's my brother's but I'm telling you right now, it's gonna be a Nook for be when I buy mine.
Nook uses DRM, too.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Allucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Nook uses DRM, too.
Yes but it reads EPUB, so you're not a prisoner to their store. I think sharing to facebook is also easier. I mean it's my reader, it's my book I paid money for both. Because I didn't buy it on Amazon I can't rate a book after I've finished? Makes no sense to me.

What makes me most mad about DRM is the way it is sold. People think they are buying a book and that it is permanent. No, you are buying a LIMITED license to read a book. If the book happens to be banned or if they make a mistake (it has happened) you can lose EVERYTHING, no refunds, nothing. Well I buy books, I like looking for the better deal, I like taking advantage of the free and competitive market. And i like to read the books which are mine on my e-reader.

I'm sorry about the rant I'm so mad at spending 2 days trying to solve this and being treated like a pirate by Amazon.

Back to the problem, if you tick the Facebook share, your book is a personal Document effectively, even if you clear the PD tag when converting. Is there a version which didn't do this?
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Allucard

Update: It looks like Calibre has something to do with it afteral. I converted (not using Calibre) some books and they showed up as books and I was able to share stuff to facebook! So there's something about this! Please help us! I don't want to go Kobo if I don't have to, in order to not having to start my ebook collection over!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Allucard

Update: It is Calibre indeed that makes the books list as Personal Documents, not Amazon!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved recent posts to their own thread.

Here is a Google search in which you might be able to find more info on this subject.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-24-2013 at 12:08 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Allucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Moved recent posts to their own thread.

Here is a Google search in which you might be able to find more info on this subject.
Thanks it was actually useful. I found a metadata program which I used to insert the EBOK tag into files but it doesn't work I need to edit the one file I have which works (prior to manipulation by calibre) and spot the differences if any.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Allucard

Ok so I finally solved the problem and let me tell you, I wish Calibre did this

It turns out you need to edit the mobi with a mobi editor and add two things: ASIN code (product code from amazon) and the EBOK tag. That is it.

Instructions on how to edit are here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=165729&page=2
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Allucard

So this is how Calibre 0.9.40 (latest) deals with MOBI to MOBI. The picture on the left is a Caliber convert to which i added the last two lines (I got the ASIN from Amazon.com browsing the book). The picture on the left is what a Caliber MOBI to MOBI does to it. The second image is the conversion options used in that.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Allucard

The left MOBI works as I wanted it to, the right one doesn't. And that could be because it is lacking a ASIN number and the CDE type.

I know Amazon is trash and the sooner I get my kobo the better. Imagine having a refrigerator which restricted you to store only a determined brand of products. They would keep you happy with frequent sales but had that covered by inflating some other products, effectively causing all the other corner shops to go bankrupt. That's how I feel about amazon. Sorry about the rant, I hope I help someone with the same problem. Mine was solved.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I have said about 300 times before, calibre is not going to insert ASINs into MOBIs. Amazon doesn't want you to be able to treat side loaded books as anything other than personal documents. If you dont like that, take it up with amazon or switch to another manufacturer, calibre is not going to implement a hack to work around it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
Allucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As I have said about 300 times before, calibre is not going to insert ASINs into MOBIs. Amazon doesn't want you to be able to treat side loaded books as anything other than personal documents. If you dont like that, take it up with amazon or switch to another manufacturer, calibre is not going to implement a hack to work around it.
Oh i didn't realize it was hacking! I don't want to hack anything, just share as I finish a book if I like it. In the end even if it's originally an EPUB i got for a fraction of the price Amazon sell those for, I'm still helping them sell their book I guess, am I not? But being an hack changes it all. I don't want to do anything like that.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Allucard

Oh and since you're here, what do you suggest as an alternative to amazon? I'm looking into Kobo since they seem allot more sideloaded content friendly. I want to be able to shop in many e-stores and collect books that way, is Kobo Glo good?