Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #16
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I have an iTouch 16GB that I use for Kindle reading and music when going on errands and to the doctor's office. Wish the battery would last longer. That is my biggest complaint.
The only app I paid for is the iBird Explorer Western version.($9.99) It is a great Western bird book with audio bird calls. Drives my dogs a bit crazy though when I use it.
For reading at home, I use my Sony 505 or Kindle DX.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #17
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
Wish the battery would last longer. That is my biggest complaint.
I agree. I love the ipod touch and use it daily. Unfortunately I also have to charge it daily too.

As soon as they make a new one that has a longer lasting battery, I'll be upgrading it for sure.

I mean the Nintendo DS/DSI has 2 colour screens, 1 a touch-screen and the battery lasts for an absolute age (I only charged it once every few weeks) so if they can do it, it must be possible surely.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Hey I am joining the club! I just got an iPod Touch 8 GB yesterday for my birthday!! I am totally in heaven, haha. OK I need some help with downloading ebooks. I got ereader and Stanza, but now I tried two free ebooks that I downloaded on my Mac computer from ereader.com. How do I get them on my iPod? Sorry, am totally new when it comes to the ebook thing. Anyone knows how to do this? Congrats Kelly, YAY!!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Hey I am joining the club! I just got an iPod Touch 8 GB yesterday for my birthday!! I am totally in heaven, haha. OK I need some help with downloading ebooks. I got ereader and Stanza, but now I tried two free ebooks that I downloaded on my Mac computer from ereader.com. How do I get them on my iPod? Sorry, am totally new when it comes to the ebook thing. Anyone knows how to do this? Congrats Kelly, YAY!!
I don't use eReader (I use Stanza), but according to the eReader site:
http://www.ereader.com/personal-content

Seems a bit roundabout-maybe Calibre can help?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Thanks for the link, did not see that. I actually downloaded it now directly on my iPod. Cool, thanks!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #21
Mobile Mason
Resident Anglophile
Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mobile Mason has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Congrats all the people who've joined the iTouch bandwagon, enjoy your pocket sized Mac
Mobile Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craft2113 View Post
Hi,im a new itouch user too.i downloaded a free app called reflow pdf. But I couldnt figure out how to put pdf files to my itouch. Help?

Thank you!
According to one of the comments on the App Store site, there's no way to download your own pdfs (that is, ones stored on your computer) to this application.

So you seem to be limited to using the internal app browser to download stuff already on the web.

Why don't you try the Stanza app? You will also have to get Stanza desktop (for mac or pc) http://www.lexcycle.com/ in order to move pdfs from your computer to the Stanza app, and it's a little non-obvious how to do it. But it's free, and really a very nice ereader.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #23
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
A Huge iPod Touch fan

I bought the iPod Touch as soon as it came out, I guess 2-3 years ago and my 1st gen is still going strong, after many drops and much punishment. I am very jealous of current generation owners though, mine has no speakers or volume controls.

I tried about 3-4 PDF apps and the problem with all of them is it is a pain to transfer files because you have to setup alot of things. I found Air Sharing to work the best, but not perfect.

PDF viewing is slow, like for eReaders, especially if they are large files.

Must have applications, at least for me are:

Dictionary - I got the American Oxford on sale.
Calculator - If free, I like TouchCalc. The Apple calculator is too basic.
Factbook - World Facts - A mini world encyclopedia
Food - Yelp, To find places to eat.
Twitter client - Tweetie

For news, I have NYTimes, NPR, BBC, HuffPo, Reuters, AP, FT, WSJ, etc...

I also have Shakespeare, the Holy Bible and US History.

If it had unlimited battery life, you could get stuck on an island and not read everything on my iPod Touch.

Definitely buy one of those plastic sheaths to protect the face. It's like a sticker, not an actual case.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
ElenTikvah
ElenTikvah began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am in the process of deciding about readers. Initially, I was planning to buy a committed reader (like the Kindle, Nook or Sony Touch Reader), but I have realized over the last few days, that I may be able to kill two birds with one stone, and get an ipod touch, and use it for multiple uses.

Can anyone comment about using this device as a reader, compared to dedicated readers? That is, is the screen too small, reading apps difficult to use, etc. I have BN's ereader program on my current smartphone (HTC Touch Pro running Windows Mobile) and it is ok, but somewhat awkward. Personally, I am coming to despite Windows Mobile for a variety of reasons, but that's another story. I'm just trying to get an idea if the ipod touch will be comfortable to use as a reader.

I'm sure that this is as clear as mud...but TIA!

~Tik
ElenTikvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #25
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi Tik

Hmm well I'm not sure I'd want to use the ipod touch as my only ereader! I use Stanza on it which is a brilliant little package for reading and have read 2 complete novels on the ipod touch so far but only by reading in short bursts. It is great for reading in the dark as it is backlit and Stanza lets you easily control the amount of screen light.

The trouble with any of these backlit screens is that they give me a headache after a while - so for long reading forget it. I don't think the screen is too small to read on though at all and for reading at odd intervals a great little reader.

For the bulk of my reading though I use the sony touch ereader. The technology which uses e-ink is very comfortable on the eyes and I can read for hours at a time with no problems.

Depends on your needs really. If you only want to read in small amounts then an ipod touch may indeed be adequate.

The battery cycle on the ipod touch as many people have said is not great but I've just bought a very handy little portable charger which gives me another 2 charge cycles while out with no access to a plug or laptop and this makes it much more useful as a traveling accessory.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
humblepie
GTD Productive Organizer
humblepie began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch 2g
Welcome to the ipod touch club. I have an older generationi ipod touch 2g but thats all i can afford really.

If you have a lot of PDF books you can check out GoodReader. It reads large PDF files well and it cost only USD0.99

I have a review here on GoodReader at my Weblog and at the bottom you will see how its layed out.

Alternatively There is GoodReader Lite which is FREE the only limitation is that you can only keep 5 books or file on the device at one time
humblepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #27
OnceAWolf
OnceAWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, android, ipad...
Hi, new to forum but have had my 8g touch since the spring. I use it to read ebooks. So far my favorate is eReader but also have Kobo(shortcovers), B&N eReader, Stanza and have just downloaded the Kindle app.

I was tempted to by a dedicated device my old PDA is dieing a slow death (touch screen failure) and the iPod is working to fill both rolls for me.
OnceAWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I just got an ipod touch last week. So far, I have no problem reading on it. It's screen is not much smaller than the screen on my Axim, and I have read many novels on that. I put Stanza, Ereader, Kindle, Kobo and Goodreader lite on it to try out the various options. Overall I like it. It is strange not being able to just drag and drop content onto it into from my desktop to the files of my choice.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote