Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #91
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
I think you're right. However, in practice it's a bit difficult to make judge that from the packaging of a charger, methinks.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #92
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
I didn't have a micro-USB wall-wart, so I ordered one. All these USB devices are 5V, and if they follow the standard correctly (which Apple can't) then they only vary by the amount of current they can reliably supply.

I can verify that this one charged-up my Sony 350 correctly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

The red light functions and the reader is usable with a little charging indicator by the battery at the bottom.

I've never seen anything more poorly documented than these standard micro-USB chargers. It's almost impossible to get any kind of straight information on these things. If you do get specs half the time it's incorrect.

I ordered a Motorola SPN5334A. I got a Motorola SPN5356A. I have no idea what's the difference (if any) since I can't find any friggin specs for these little buggers! The one I received is marked at only 550 mA, so don't expect the reader to charge faster than from your standard USB port.

But it does work.

This is probably better, with a 750 mA rating:

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Fol...1079015&sr=1-1

Anyone have a link for a OEM micro-USB wall charger that is marked for 1000 mA? I'm not sure if the Sony Readers can't take advantage of the higher current rating, but it's nice to have anyway.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #93
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
How about this one - http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Micro-US.../dp/B002MKUR7C ? Rated 1200 mA
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #94
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
How about this one - http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Micro-US.../dp/B002MKUR7C ? Rated 1200 mA
Works.
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #95
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
The adaptor that came with my Sony Ericsson cell phone works, too.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #96
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrective View Post
Charger for the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 works for the 650.
I can confirm this. It's the charger that ships with the device, it's a wall to micro USB charger, not a wall to USB socket charger.

Astra, for this thread to be useful I think you'll need to edit the first post to compile all the information into it, nobody is going to see a 100 post thread as a point of reference without a summary!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #97
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Astra, for this thread to be useful I think you'll need to edit the first post to compile all the information into it, nobody is going to see a 100 post thread as a point of reference without a summary!
Please do!

I've just kinda read through this thread to get an idea of what will work for my (nearly arrived) new Sony. Am I right in assuming that basically, a wall to usb charger (where you attach your own cable to connect to the reader) won't work, whereas a wall to micro USB (where it is all one piece) will generally work?

Was hoping to be able to use my generic USB charger, as that's how I charge my phone, ipod, etc when I travel, but looks like this won't be the case?
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #98
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I think so Bobsi. If it's a -data- connection then it needs to handshake, if it's a power only connection then it'll be fine.

You would be fine with a generic USB charger, but only if you used a USB cable without the data parts connected.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #99
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
This is a charge cable like Halk is talking about:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48924

From the user summaries, the cable above doesn't have a data connection.

A summary of this thread would be nice. I think it's important to have a few OEM wall-chargers and OEM DC chargers with purchase links, parts numbers and specifications listed in case you need to buy one than scavenge one up from around the house.

It's not that helpful to say "The charger from my #### phone works." While that may be true, there seems to be quite a variety of chargers shipped with each phone. Both my chargers say they are for a RAZR2, but the AC is rated for 550 mA while the DC one is rated for 950 mA. Having the highest current capability is always a good thing.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #100
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
Astra, I compiled the replies.

Feel free to correct me if anyone spot any mistake.

Doesn't work:
iPod charger A1205
iPod charger A1102
iPad charger
Rocketfish USB power adapter for the car: http://milo.com/rocketfish-usb-vehic...-adapter-black
Belkin Charger for iPod http://www.lasystems.be/Belkin/F8Z22...ct/184312.html
Logitech Harmony 700 remote's charger
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...roduct=1419902
Nyko charger for Sony PS3 controllers

Works:
blackberry charger
http://powertraveler.com
the power adapter that came with the Apple component video cables for the iPhone/iPod
http://search.dse.com.au/search?w=e9...e0106d1&ts=new
Nook charger
HTC evo charger
http://www.powermat.com/us/powermat-2x.html
Amazon Kindle 3 USB cable and plug
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/e5bd/
http://www.charge4all.net/
Logitech MX Performance Mouse kit
HTC Tattoo Charger
VersaCharger Pro from Boxwave
Nokia N8
ZTE Blade
Samsung Galaxy S i9000
LG phone charger
Griffin Model 17B061001
Nokia micro-USB Travel Charger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Motorola SPN5334A
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Fol...1079015&sr=1-1
Sony Ericsson cell phone charger
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #101
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Impressive.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #102
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Aren't you gonna update your OP?
Feel free to copy paste it.

edit: you're welcome. It only took 10 mins top.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #103
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lack View Post
Aren't you gonna update your OP?
Feel free to copy paste it.

edit: you're welcome. It only took 10 mins top.
Done.
Thanks again.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #104
bunnybag
bunnybag began at the beginning.

I just bought the reader and tried charging it with the HTC Legend charger. I'm glad it worked otherwise I would have to fork out some money to buy a charger.
bunnybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #105
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
The 1A usb charger included in the box with my HTC Desire phone works well. It looks exactly like this one: http://www.htcdirect.co.uk/index.php...roducts_id=901. I used the original Sony cable.

It took less than 50 minutes to top it up from two bars. I haven't timed it exactly, I left the reader alone for this amount of time - it might have finished in 15 minutes for all I know.

Edit: I checked the part number, and my charger is identical to the one in the link. I can also confirm that the reader is usable while charging from it. Seems like a cheap substitute for the Sony charger, it also works with everything else I've tried it with. It is very slim and small, the build quality is excellent, I recommend it.

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 12-09-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote