Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Questions re Firmware Updates

My reader has a folder FOUND.000 in the SD card index which I have been trying to delete for a month: manually, w/reset, and by removing the battery. The last thing I could think of to do was re-install the December firmware. I had saved all firmware upgrades in two places. Unfortunately when I installed Win7 recently I somehow screwed up and lost several important folders, the ones w/the upgrades being but two of several.

Downloaded it again from the company support site and found it to be an RAR file. Were the firmware downloads in 2009 not in regular old ZIP format? Sure they were because I've never had anything but headaches w/RAR and I'm sure I would remember wrestling w/it but the previous firmware updates went so smoothly that I have no memory of them.

In any case I downloaded Stuffit to upack the RAR and get to the .bin file. There are only four font files in the expanded RAR: no .bin.

Can someone explain what's going on to a bumbler? Don't most folks prefer ZIP over RAR?
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
The folder FOUND.000 is not a folder created by your PP, it is actually a folder created by Windows (if memory serves me correctly something to do with a scandisk). To delete it you will just have to plug in the PP to your computer and through Windows Explorer delete the folder that way.

Where did you download the firmware you're trying to install?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
My reader has a folder FOUND.000 in the SD card index which I have been trying to delete for a month: manually, w/reset, and by removing the battery. The last thing I could think of to do was re-install the December firmware. I had saved all firmware upgrades in two places. Unfortunately when I installed Win7 recently I somehow screwed up and lost several important folders, the ones w/the upgrades being but two of several.

Downloaded it again from the company support site and found it to be an RAR file. Were the firmware downloads in 2009 not in regular old ZIP format? Sure they were because I've never had anything but headaches w/RAR and I'm sure I would remember wrestling w/it but the previous firmware updates went so smoothly that I have no memory of them.

In any case I downloaded Stuffit to upack the RAR and get to the .bin file. There are only four font files in the expanded RAR: no .bin.

Can someone explain what's going on to a bumbler? Don't most folks prefer ZIP over RAR?
Found.xxx are fragments of a broken FAT file system that has been repaired.
There are many possibilities that result in file system damage. Removing without "Safely remove Hardware" saying it is now safe is a good way

It is "a Windows System file" and is hidden by default when viewed with Windows Explorer. You will need to temporarily show system and hidden files in Windows, to delete these without formatting the drive.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Solicitous, That is how I tried to delete it, w/Win Explorer. This is the URL I used for the firmware:
http://www.theezreader.com/html/support_firmware.asp
Is there another?

Ducks, I always remove using "Safely Remove..." I always have hidden files shown, but will try again w/showing system files. Update: I just tried it with system files shown. It worked! Hooray!

Thanks, guys. Do we have RAR firmware upgrades in our future?
d

Last edited by CharlieBird; 02-22-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
RAR firmware upgrades in future soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Solicitous, That is how I tried to delete it, w/Win Explorer. This is the URL I used for the firmware:
http://www.theezreader.com/html/support_firmware.asp
Is there another?

Ducks, I always remove using "Safely Remove..." I always have hidden files shown, but will try again w/showing system files. Update: I just tried it with system files shown. It worked! Hooray!

Thanks, guys. Do we have RAR firmware upgrades in our future?
d
Dear Charliebird:

A new Firmware Upgrade is coming in 2-3 weeks. I posted the news today on a seperate thread!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

RobertB, I know. I was the first to respond the news of a coming upgrade. I do appreciate that you keep tabs on all the threads.
d