Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Touch-screen non-eInk readers?

If there were a touch-screen Jetbook, I would buy that. If there were a backlit, touch-screen Jetbook, I would buy two.

Is there such a thing? Not an EB1150, screen tech is pretty old, low DPI. And I have 2 REB1100s already. I also have a Smart Q7, but it's in China being "repaired".

I'm sorta wanting to find a dedicated device. Should support (X)HTML and/or ePub. Anywhere from 5 to 8 inch size.

Is anyone rumored to be making one with PixelQi?

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
If there were a touch-screen Jetbook, I would buy that. If there were a backlit, touch-screen Jetbook, I would buy two.

Is there such a thing? Not an EB1150, screen tech is pretty old, low DPI. And I have 2 REB1100s already. I also have a Smart Q7, but it's in China being "repaired".

I'm sorta wanting to find a dedicated device. Should support (X)HTML and/or ePub. Anywhere from 5 to 8 inch size.

m a r
If you add touch-screen and/or backlit to jetBook the quality of the screen will be not so perfect like now. Sony 700 is a good example.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

The Sony is an eInk screen. No want.

The touch-screens I've seen are perfectly fine. Maybe adding an overlay to a Jetbook would reduce its clarity -- but I'm not proposing that.

I'm just wondering if anyone is making a decent LCD reader with a touch-screen these days.

m a r
Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I'm just wondering if anyone is making a decent LCD reader with a touch-screen these days.
They call it an "iPhone."

There are plenty of PDAs and phones with touchscreens that work as ebook readers. The problem may be in finding one with larger than a 3" screen.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
They call it an "iPhone."

There are plenty of PDAs and phones with touchscreens that work as ebook readers. The problem may be in finding one with larger than a 3" screen.
yes, another problem is eye strain occurs when you read more than
20 minutes... . I have iPod touch and I tried use it as eBook reader just one time. After it I deleted Stanza and don't use it for eBook reading any more.
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I used a Clié to read ebooks for a couple of years before I looked for a dedicated ebook device. I never had any problems with eyestrain, but the short battery life drove me crazy.

However, most of the time I read it with the backlight off to preserve battery life.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
If you add touch-screen and/or backlit to jetBook the quality of the screen will be not so perfect like now. Sony 700 is a good example.
Kris,

I don't believe that the 700 is a good example. I think it was designed incorrectly by introducing 2 things at the same time: the front light and the anti-reflection, diffused touch screen. The introduction of the light forced Sony to put the touch screen further away from the e-ink surface. Because it was diffused, the further away it is, the more blurry the text will become. In addition the type of diffusion used did not reduce the reflections but only spread them out over a larger area.

One does wonder what the 700 could have been if they had done the touch screen right. As for the light I don't really think a built in one is necessary as there are better alternatives without the compromises. From what I've read the iRex products have a touch screen but do not suffer the same ill effects as the 700.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
The Sony is an eInk screen. No want.

The touch-screens I've seen are perfectly fine. Maybe adding an overlay to a Jetbook would reduce its clarity -- but I'm not proposing that.

m a r
Unfortunately I fear that manufacturers will not bring one out with an LCD. Most have already abandoned LCD for e-ink simply because that's what the trend is. And many buyers think, wrongly so, that an LCD such as one on the Jetbook would be just like their computer monitor.

My advice is to get the Jetbook. Getting around in it via the buttons sometimes involves a number of steps and hand movements but it is surprisingly effective.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post

My advice is to get the Jetbook. Getting around in it via the buttons sometimes involves a number of steps and hand movements but it is surprisingly effective.
+1
Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:

m a r
I have been wanting the same for quite some time.

I do use the Smartq7 now and am enjoying it as an ebook reader using WinCE and Alreader. The only thing is the battery monitor doesn't seem that reliable in it.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
rogue_ronin
Banned

Well, the JetBook doesn't do links, either, I believe. NuvoMedia had all this stuff 8-10 years ago. It doesn't take much imagination, but that is apparently too much to ask from most companies. (I have hope for the JetBook, though.)

I'm also hopeful someone will get smart and make a touch-screen PixelQi reader in the 5-8 inch range.

Maybe someone will make a decent, hackable tablet with such a screen, and I'll buy that.

Guess I'll have to get my Smart Q7 up to speed when it comes back from China. It's my only current hope.

@bjkel: looks like Mer is coming along -- in a few months, I expect most of the major stuff will be ironed out. It'll probably be the go-to OS. (You can drop the Hildon stuff, and install LXDE, for instance. Having a living Jaunty ARM distribution will make things livable.)

m a r
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
What about the 7" Jointech JE100? I have no personal experience with it though. It looks like a cross between a PDA and iPhone.

or what about the REB1100's big brother (the 8.2" REB 1200)?

p.s. check our LCD E-Book Reader Matrix wiki!

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-31-2009 at 10:06 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm rather interested to see how Sony did the new PRS-600's touch screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
rogue_ronin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
What about the 7" Jointech JE100? I have no personal experience with it though. It looks like a cross between a PDA and iPhone.

or what about the REB1100's big brother (the 8.2" REB 1200)?

p.s. check our LCD E-Book Reader Matrix wiki!
That looks good! But it's WinCE... which makes me wince.

Still, I'm not sure that it's a step up from the Q7 -- the Q7 seems to have more memory, and better specs overall. Like most hardware, its main problem is bad software design/integration. And it can use WinCE.

As for the REB1200, well, I remember drooling over it back in the day. Hard to find on eBay, still.

I'm going to have to hit the lottery, and then start a company that makes the things I want. What should I name it? Banana?

m a r
Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
I'm going to have to hit the lottery, and then start a company that makes the things I want. What should I name it? Banana?

m a r

If it's backlit and has color, I'll buy one too...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote