Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Device: Kobo H2O
New PRS 700 user needs some advice on the different formats

Hi,

I hope I am in the correct section.
I ordered a PRS 700 last week and rather confused over the different formats for the Sony.

I have a collection on ebooks which I gathered over the years, most of them are in a variety of formats, like PDF, LIT. I know the reader can read many formats.
Should I use calibre to convert everything to LRF and transfer over using the Sony software? Or do I have to convert depending on the format of the book?
Most of the books contain no images, at most a front cover.

Can someone give me some advice or point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Your Sony Reader and display PDF, RTF, Epub and LRF. If you have files in LIT format these will need to be converted to either LRF or Epub and can be accomplished by Calibre (assuming they are non-DRM). Also, if you are already using Calibre you don't need the Sony software, unless you plan to purchase books directly from Sony's ebook store. Calibre will handle transferring your books onto the device.

PDF's are generally not a good format for converting or reading but Sony has the reflow which makes reading them at least tolerable.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Very true by experience pdf is pretty bad for conversions, but alot of pdf reflow just fine on the reader. i have a prs 505 and a lot of of pdf are readable by just zooming once or twice, just make sure it has no pics and its very simple formating.

For your lit collection, use convert lit gui, do a quick google seach and you ll get the page. This software can remove the drm of the books you own and then you can convert them to other formats with calaibre. Lit is probably the best format to own, converts very well and keeps all the comments, title, author from the ebook. Great format, just not readable, but for archieving its the best!

For conversions you might want to stick with lrf, its not thats its better than epup, quite the opposite, but i had bad luck with a lot of conversions from other formats to epup... lit might be different i will have to test. But test a bit, your experience might be different than mine!

anyway good luck!

EDIT: Another interesting software is pdfread 1.82, if you have scanned books it converts them to lrf. Then with lrftools you can convert them to epup. Knowing this would of saved me alot of trouble from the start , hope it helps!

Here is a .bat for batch converting pdf to lrf with pdfread, best settings i have found for pdfread. Replace resolution with the one formyour device, i used the rez here for my prs 505. Still should be fine as you can zoom so no problem really.

Quote:
@echo off
cls

rem ============== batch processing options
set LOC=C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFRead
set OPT=-p prs505-p -i pdf -c "Mythology" -f "lrf" -m "portrait" -r "none" --vres=800 --hres=600 --dpi "600" --colorspace "rgb" --colors "256" --optimize

rem ============== do not change below this line
set DIR=%~dp0
if not '%1' == '' set DIR=%1

for %%I in (%DIR%\*.pdf) do title PDFRead: converting "%%~nI" & "%LOC%\bin\pdfread" %OPT% -t "%%~nI" -o "%%~dpnI" "%%~fI"

rem ==== uncomment the line below and comment the above one to debug (by adding/removing the rem)
rem ==== for %%I in (%DIR%\*.pdf) do title PDFRead: converting "%%~nI" & echo "%LOC%\bin\pdfread" %OPT% -t "%%~nI" -o "%%~dpnI" "%%~fI"

title PDFRead: batch conversion complete.
pause

Last edited by Student1; 03-28-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Can someone give me some advice or point me in the right direction?
I own older generation of Reader PRS-500
For me personally, rtf turned out to be the best format.

To convert lit files, I "unpack" lit file using commandline convertlit program and then I run resulting html file through a primitive conversion tool that I wrote to get rtf.

Often the html file 'inside' lit file has been generated by MSWord so it is an incredible mess. You might wish to run it through html tidy
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Thumbs down

FIRST OF ALL, I ACCIDENTALLY PLACED THE THUMBS DOWN SIGN!!

Thank you so much everyone!

grooks: Okay! So I am assuming, as long as the file (lit, rtf, doc, etc) consists of all words, Calibre will do the job just fine right?
e.g. no need to use ConvertLit GUI -> HTML > RTF/LRF

Student1: Thank for the script! Another question here, what will happens to the pictures in the PDF when the script scans the file? I am thinking the script converts the words in the scanned book to text?

kacir: Okay! I would try that out too!

Last edited by muse; 03-30-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: messed up the reply
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Okay! So I am assuming, as long as the file (lit, rtf, doc, etc) consists of all words, Calibre will do the job just fine right?
e.g. no need to use ConvertLit GUI -> HTML > RTF/LRF
Calibre will convert files as long as they are non-DRM.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you convert to ePub, you can specify which fonts you want to the Books to be in.

Read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361 to find out more about custom fonts for ePub for the 505/700.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
muse
Enthusiast

AWESOME! THANK YOU EVERYONE (:
Old 04-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
muse
Enthusiast

Another question here.
Does it make a difference when transferring a PDF book using Sony Library vs. calibre?

I read somewhere that there is a difference
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Another question here.
Does it make a difference when transferring a PDF book using Sony Library vs. calibre?

I read somewhere that there is a difference
If the PDF has DRM then you'll need to have ADE authorized and you can then use eBook Library to transfer the PDF. But if you use Calibre, you can only transfer DRM free PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote