Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #31
mjmcleod
Connoisseur
mjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to beholdmjmcleod is a marvel to behold

Device: Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
PS, MJ: Did you get your BB books through OK? Hope you enjoy my wee selection. N
Yes, thanks Neil. Much appreciated!
mjmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 AM   #32
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You're more than welcome, MJ. Any more for any more? Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #33
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is not much we can do about geo restrictions but there are ways to get around it.

Go to Google and choose a valid address in the US.

Create a new account with said address and use gift cards on said account

Use a VPN blocker to hide your ISP

Shop in the US stores with a certain amount of caution. People have reported buying 3-4 books a week without a problem while others have posted that a one day binge of all the ebooks they had been looking for got their account locked.

It is not ideal but it gets you access to the books you want to read.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #34
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
If you are willing/able to convert Kindle books to epub you might try following this thread:

Discounted/Price Dropped Kindle ebooks

Poster "Becs" has been posting quite a few good Australian deals lately. Here are some examples:

Quote:
Becs says:
Good morning everyone!
This morning in Australia the following books are on special
The Thief of Time by John Boyne is $1.55 reduced from $10.84
The Law of Nines by Terry Goodkinds is $1.74 REDUCED FROM $9.99
The Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon is $1.92 reduced from $10.52
The Abduction by Mark Gimenez is $1.97 reduced from $7.99
Black Hills by Nora Roberts is $1.98 reduced from $10.52
A Fair Maiden by Carol Joyce Oates is $2.32 reduced from $12.49
Kindred in Death by JD Robb (Nora Roberts) is $2.34 reduced from $7.99
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #35
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your books arrive OK, Simon? You didn't specify, so I sent ePub editions. If you'd prefer Mobi or PDF, just holler and I'll send in whatever format you like to save you the bother of converting. Happy reading. Neil

PS: This offer's open as long as this thread is running, folks. Cheers. N
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #36
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There is not much we can do about geo restrictions but there are ways to get around it.

Go to Google and choose a valid address in the US.

Create a new account with said address and use gift cards on said account

Use a VPN blocker to hide your ISP

Shop in the US stores with a certain amount of caution. People have reported buying 3-4 books a week without a problem while others have posted that a one day binge of all the ebooks they had been looking for got their account locked.

It is not ideal but it gets you access to the books you want to read.

Yes, but also easier, faster and cheaper to look for them on the darknet first, and no stupid account locking crapola to deal with.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #37
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Yes, but also easier, faster and cheaper to look for them on the darknet first, and no stupid account locking crapola to deal with.
And that is the sum of it unfortunately...
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #38
neilmarr
neilmarr

When folks turn to the dark-net for reasons of genuine economic dire straits or sheer frustration with inept stores, I understand and sympathise. Sad that it should be necessary to resort to the practice, though. Crazy pricing and the other buying obstacles put in the way of otherwise honest folks, in effect, forces them into petty crime. Neil
Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #39
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Actually, I think misrepresenting your address to get around geographical restrictions may also be legally shaky. Isn't this very close to fraud?

I think I could easily work myself into a position of justifying darknet hijinks by making an agreement with myself that I'd buy a paper copy for a local library while enjoying the e-copy I "found". I would still end up paying more than I would if I could just get a legit e-copy from Amazon and it would still be illegal, but it would ease my conscience somewhat:

1) I still pay money that goes to the author
2) I help support my local library

On my more cynical and nasty days I find myself wishing that all Australian publishers would go bankrupt, but that's another story.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #40
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
From KoboBooks' TOS:

Quote:
2. Registered Users.
The Service is open to the public but certain portions, components, content and features of the Service (including purchases or access to eBooks) are only available to individuals who register with Kobo and create a user account on the Service (each, a "Registered User"). If you are a Registered User then you agree to the following:

... (a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by any registration form(s) on the Service, including your geographical location and billing address (the "Registration Data");
They have grounds to suspend your account if they suspect anything. I haven't looked at the TOS of other bookstores such as Amazon, but they probably have similar statements. Which really makes me hate having to resort to falsehoods to buy from these bookstores, but sometimes I just really want to read the bloody book and I've sworn off buying any more paper books.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #41
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They have grounds to suspend your account but no real motive. Amazon has suspended a few accounts. They were folks who entered a bogus address and were using a foreign credit card, not gift certificates, and bought many books at one time.

Realistically, the companies would rather sell you stuff than not. So if you do a moderately decent job of masking your account, a real address (pick a business or home address from google), use gift certificates (not traceable to a foreign account), and use something to hide your ISP you are probably going to be fine.

That said, if I were over seas doing this, I would make darn sure to download any book I bought to my computer so I had a back up of it just in case my account was locked.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #42
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
They have grounds to suspend your account but no real motive. Amazon has suspended a few accounts. They were folks who entered a bogus address and were using a foreign credit card, not gift certificates, and bought many books at one time.

Realistically, the companies would rather sell you stuff than not. So if you do a moderately decent job of masking your account, a real address (pick a business or home address from google), use gift certificates (not traceable to a foreign account), and use something to hide your ISP you are probably going to be fine.

That said, if I were over seas doing this, I would make darn sure to download any book I bought to my computer so I had a back up of it just in case my account was locked.
Ebookstores have only implemented geo-restrictions because the publishers forced them to (because ebooks were becoming too popular). For the stores a sale a sale. They do not care at all if the buyer really lives in the US or not.
They just have to prove to the publishers they have geo-restrictions implemented. As long as the publishers are satisfied the ebookstores do not care who buys their books.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #43
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Agreed. Which is why I think it is rare to hear of people having accounts locked. Amazon doesn't even seem to require the VPN blocker although BN does.

I am not sure that they even have to prove to the publishers that they have steps implemented but simply do enough to prevent litigation.

Which is why I suggest that people look up real address and not use 1600 Pennsylvania Ave or Amazon's HQ address or something silly like that.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #44
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post

On my more cynical and nasty days I find myself wishing that all Australian publishers would go bankrupt, but that's another story.

Well, I don't wish that on all of them - but those that are rump offshoots of large foreign companies have manoeuvred themselves into having a significantly greater than zero chance of that happening. I wouldn't think though, as you suggest, many people would be upset if the poms, frogs and yanks disappeared entirely in their local incarnations.

Dymocks can certainly now put the screws on those that pissed them off the most over parallel importing, anyway.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #45
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Well, I don't wish that on all of them - but those that are rump offshoots of large foreign companies have manoeuvred themselves into having a significantly greater than zero chance of that happening. I wouldn't think though, as you suggest, many people would be upset if the poms, frogs and yanks disappeared entirely in their local incarnations.

Dymocks can certainly now put the screws on those that pissed them off the most over parallel importing, anyway.
I am so fed up with the big Australian booksellers/publishers that I am not going to buy any more ebooks from them until they get their act together and all p-books are going to be purchased from Amazon. I bought a music book from them (Amazon) last week - $21 inc.postage, and the cheapest I could see it in Australia was $37 + postage. Get real guys! And if you think novels are overpriced, try buying music books!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote