Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi+3G
K3 is mangled - cannot update to 3.4

Hello lurkers and devs. My problem seems more connected to the dev part of the forum, hence the location of this post.

Today I tried to update my Kindle 3G +WiFi (US) from version 3.1 to version 3.4. The update failed. I tried to do a ;dumpMessages but nothing appeared in the "documents" directory.

Due to my stupidity, my device was littered with all kinds of mods and hacks. Luckily, I kept a log of all the install and uninstall files that I had used in the past. You know how it is - new device, hands itchy to hack it and mess with it. My behaviour has changed since that period, but the fact remains - my K3 is stuck at firmware 3.1.

I tried uninstalling everything:
ss hack
font hack
physkeyb
lpad
freedownload mod
usbnet
readability mod
dev keys
jailbreak

After the uninstalls did not help, I tried a factory reset, as suggested in a similar thread with a user who had to uninstall all their customizations. Still no progress.

Being radical and impulsive regarding electronic devices, I decided that I would go the "clean slate" route - a recovery with ATK to 3.0.2. I loaded it on a Virtual Win XP machine. It installed fine. When I tried to follow the wizard in ATK, I got an error message: "No USB detected", as if the drivers had not installed correctly. That might be the case, and then again, might not.

I suspect the actual culprit might be my attempts to stop K3 from sending log reports to the Amazon servers. My memory betrays me as to what I edited exactly, but I believe I was following those two threads:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129524

I find myself in a difficult and precarious situation, hence my cry for help from you guys and gals. My hopes lie with the knowledgeable users on this forum. I appreciate any help on the matter.
horizon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
From the Kindle Keyboard update page:
Quote:
  • Version: Kindle 3.3, install 3.4
  • Versions prior to 3.1 (3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), install 3.1, then 3.3, and then install 3.4.
  • Versions 3.1, 3.2., 3.2.1, install 3.3 and then install 3.4.
  • Version: Kindle 3.4, your Kindle Keyboard software is up to date.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
horizon21
bookster
horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!horizon21 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Well, as I already stated above: I am at version 3.1. I am unable to install the 3.3 update. Just to be certain I tried downloading and flashing the 3.1 bin file, but the "Update your kindle" option was greyed out (naturally).
Old 10-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
You're giving conflicting information here. You said in your original post that you tried to update from 3.1 to 3.4, and now you're saying that you tried to install 3.3. Just to be absolutely clear, what I quoted says that since you're on 3.1 now, you're supposed to update to 3.3 first and then install 3.4. Did you, in fact, already try to update to 3.3?
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon21 View Post
I tried uninstalling everything:
ss hack
font hack
physkeyb
lpad
freedownload mod
usbnet
readability mod
dev keys
jailbreak

- - -

I suspect the actual culprit might be my attempts to stop K3 from sending log reports to the Amazon servers. My memory betrays me as to what I edited exactly, but I believe I was following those two threads:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129524
The first of those links is not clear if it applies to the K3 and contains multiple sets of change instructions.
Examine each file mentioned in the thread for the changes mentioned, revert the changes.

The second, depending on the version you used, would have removed the scripting required to run the un-installers mentioned.

Can you confirm what the results where of running each un-installer?
Can you confirm that each hack was un-installed?
And/Or :
Can you attach to your next post (don't use "quick reply", click the "go advanced" editor, use its "manage attachments") the script that you did use from the second link?
There was more than one version posted on (the now dead) gitbrew site.

Please include your answer to AZImmortal's question also.

Last edited by knc1; 10-11-2012 at 02:12 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Being radical and impulsive regarding electronic devices, I decided that I would go the "clean slate" route - a recovery with ATK to 3.0.2. I loaded it on a Virtual Win XP machine. It installed fine. When I tried to follow the wizard in ATK, I got an error message: "No USB detected", as if the drivers had not installed correctly. That might be the case, and then again, might not.
I would not call it "impulsive" regarding electronic devices: In fact I consider this "radical" (which indeed means "from the roots") approach one of the easiest, at least easier than to tinker with numerous hack uninstallers and the corresponding version jungle.

Virtual machines are a bit flaky when it comes to USB. What's your host system? For me, using VirtualBox on a Linux host required me to manually re-attach the USB device after ATK made first contact with it, it would always "virtually de-attach".

You might want to give some USB/CD/DVD Linux live distro plus k3flasher a chance...

Then I think there was some possibility to log the files that the update in question finds offending.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Virtual Win XP machine USB sucks. That is my only comment. (I thought I had said this before on this thread... but maybe it was another reading up.)

What Hawhill said is great advice.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
horizon21
bookster

AZImmortal, my apologies. I followed the instructions on the amazon website (same ones you posted). I tried installing 3.3 first and I should have made that clear.

knc1, I got an "update successful" confirmation after each uninstall that I performed. I don't know what other confirmations are there.
The script that I may or may not have used (damn memory!) is nowhere to be found in my backups However, I found backups of the files that it modifies, namely syslog-ng, loginfo, tinyrot, showlog. (http://bayfiles.com/file/nAsJ/mICDyt/showlog_bkp.rar) That fact only leads me to believe that I have used the kindlesec.sh.
maybe I should try to push them back into their directory, but I need to install usbnetworking and the jailbreak again as well as read the usbnet guide on how to use it.

hawhill, my host is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I am using Oracle VirtualBox 4.2 (the latest). I also tried the Virtual XP mode that is included in Widnows 7. All of them returned the same error - usb not found. I scanned system32 for the driver and it was there (windrvr6.sys). My layman skills only go so far.

I tried loading Puppy Linux (LuPu) into virtualbox with success, but the mounting of the partition where I stored all the needed files seems too complicated for me. I also tried loading Linux Mint 11 but it is frustratingly slow in virtualbox mode.

I will try to restore the backup of the forementioned files and see if that helps. If not, I will fumble with Puppy Linux.

Thanks a lot to all of you fellas! I really appreciate your input. Please forgive my lack of sufficient knowledge to let you help me more easily.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
if you mean it's hard to "mount" the NTFS files under unix.

shove them on a USB. let the OS manage the mounting. that should just work OOTB on all the OS's you mentioned.

I never had any fun with the Win 7 64 bit Virtual XP, particularly the USB support. Fairly certain that this is outlined somewhere, much like "Wine"'s USB support also sucks.
(This exact machine once ran exactly that [Win 7 64 bit && Virtual XP], and does about once a year when I'm desperate/Stuck)

well. give the USB stick a go. I often just dump stuff on a stick when I cant be bothered figuring out a new set of mount commands.
(or other security/physical/legal issues prevent the mounting)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@horizon21: Both of the Linux distributions come as a bootable, LiveCD - just run them on your PC.
They run "memory resident" will not disturb your installed system.
Both **should** have ntfs-3g, so you can just mount your installed file system if you need access to the files (such as the "ram kernel" from the ATK install to use with K3Flasher).
Old 10-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I should provide a pre-compiled version of k3flasher to ease things like this, i.e. running it with a live Linux distribution. Will do in max. 1 day in the k3flasher thread.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I think I should provide a pre-compiled version of k3flasher to ease things like this, i.e. running it with a live Linux distribution. Will do in max. 1 day in the k3flasher thread.
I can provide a 64bit binary if you want.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
hawhill
Wizard

Thanks for the offer! I'd probably do a static build for x86 and x86_64, so the dependency on libusb(x)-1.0 doesn't get in the way. But of course feel free to provide such a thing :-)

Update: Precompiled binaries added to the k3flasher thread.

Last edited by hawhill; 10-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
horizon21
bookster

Awesome! Thanks, hawhill!

P.S. Replacing the 4 files with my backups did not work. Now I have to figure out how to run a .bin file in Linux Mint. Google is my friend At least the frustration with the compiling was spared by the generously provided precompiled k3flasher by hawhill.

Last edited by horizon21; 10-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Now I have to figure out how to run a .bin file in Linux Mint.
That sentence as written does not seem to make any sense.
(Linux (any *nix) does not depend on file extensions at the system level.)

Would you please describe what you are trying to do . . . .

Last edited by knc1; 10-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.