Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Films adaptions better than the book

Movies that were better than the original book (all Sci-Fi / Fantasy. I don't know why):

Bladerunner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)
Is the movie better? I'm going to say tentatively that Yes, it is. Yes, the book is remarkable, but the movie? It remains the pinnacle of the Sci-Fi movie genre ∴ it is better. Sue me

The Prestige : by Christopher Priest.
The book is very good, but the movie is better formed. It ties up all loose-ends elegantly while still leaving some sneaky paradoxes.
Christopher Nolan did the rewrite. I read he is going to redo / continue Bladerunner Nolan's work on Batman is awesome. He uses different elements from different strips to create new stories. Much like my next choice...

The Thief of Baghdad / The Arabian Nights:
I can never get into the book Great movie.

Logan's Run: A clear example of the script-writer taking what is good from a book and chucking the rest.

The 13th Warrior:
The movie was great fun and the book left me cold (I couldn't get into it).

The Abyss:
This is actually the reverse. The book adaption of the film is by Orson Scott Card and he does some really good characterization. A really good writer ( or used to be. Sorry Orson!).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
this might be controversial but i've gotta say Lord of the Rings. i thought the books were painfully dull and the movies did a nice job of cutting to the chase.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm going to go out on a limb here with a couple movies that HAVE to be better than the books:

Hunger Games....terrible book...book 2 was great..book 1 was awful, it's a rip off of Battle Royale

And then The Woman in Black....I just finished this, and it was the longest 136 pages I've ever read...not scary in ANY way...and since Daniel Radcliff is the actor playing the main character, I kept having the voice of Harry Potter in my head LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Logan's Run

The book just doesn't make any sense, IMHO.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Bladerunner
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Twilight series. I like the movies but the books were horrible!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
this might be controversial but i've gotta say Lord of the Rings. i thought the books were painfully dull and the movies did a nice job of cutting to the chase.
That is a can of worms. The movies are good, BUT they are hard to understand without prior knowledge of the book. Sure if all you want is the action, then the movies are better suited for you. I'll leave it at that - sorry to hear you did not like the book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
I'm going to agree with you. I remember people walking out of the theatre going "What about Tom Bombadil?" I was thinking that Tom and his wife were the two most boring characters there. Everything they did was too predictably boring and perfect and Tra La La..... (Not to mention, they really did not take up THAT much of the book....)
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Jaws

The Godfather

The Exorcist
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
You must be joking.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
The Exorcist

Just read this not too long ago...I completely agree...the book was dull.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Forrest Gump
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I won't even comment on LotR, because anyone who thinks the movies are better has either (a) very low IQ or (b) some serious psychological disorder

Anyway, from the top of my head I cannot think of any movie better than the source, although I agree with the OP that Blade Runner has greatly surpassed the original in terms of impact and influence. Regarding the other examples posted, I haven't read the originals, so I'm unable to comment.

BTW, if the Twilight movies are better than the books, I shudder to even think of the books. I only watched the first movie with my wife, and it was a seizure-inducing experience.

Outside movies, I do regard one adaptation as better than the original: the Dexter TV series (at least the first few seasons). The TV show gets rid of all the supernatural content of the books, and has better stories in general (Dexter by Design was absolutely awful, for instance).

Last edited by miguel1626; 02-15-2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: typo
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I won't even comment on LotR, because anyone who thinks the movies are better has either (a) very low IQ or (b) some serious psychological disorder

Anyway, from the top of my head I cannot think of any movie better than the source, although I agree with the OP that Blade Runner has greatly surpassed the original in terms of impact and influence. Regarding the other examples posted, I haven't read the originals, so I'm unable to comment.

BTW, if the Twilight movies are better than the books, I shudder to even think of the books. I only watched the first movie with my wife, and it was a seizure-inducing experience.

Outside movies, I do regard one adaptation as better than the original: the Dexter TV series (at least the first few seasons). The TV show gets rid of all the supernatural content of the books, and has a better stories in general (Dexter by Design was absolutely awful, for instance).
We're on the same wavelength about LoTR books. Great deal though about Twilight.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Stardust, the book was nice but the movie improved on it.
Practical Magic, the book was just awful.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote