Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3G white as wedding anniversary gift
Yes 60 89.55%
No 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question Kindle 3G: a nice wedding anniversary gift ?

Wedding anniversary is approaching! ...

My wife is a simple woman so it's a bit difficult to find gifts for her. She just mentioned couple of weeks ago that wanted a Kindle , a white one, but not sure if that could be a nice wedding anniversary gift or not. The comment was not given while talking about our anniversary, by the way.

Any opinions? I will make it a poll, so will be easier to evaluate. And hopefully a lot of female users will vote or comment too... that would help ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks. And while I would love for my wife to get me a new Kindle, I wouldn't get her one. Without knowing your wife it is hard to say, but I think most women would prefer something other than technology for their anniversary.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
My anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks. And while I would love for my wife to get me a new Kindle, I wouldn't get her one. Without knowing your wife it is hard to say, but I think most women would prefer something other than technology for their anniversary.
Thanks for your feedback!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My first ereader was my 10th anniversary gift. My Kindle a birthday gift. This year we got Android phones for each other. I love stuff like that and think it makes a great gift. You might want to add a Amazon gift card with it so she can get her some Kindle books and a Kindle Cover as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wedding anniversary is approaching! ...

My wife is a simple woman so it's a bit difficult to find gifts for her. She just mentioned couple of weeks ago that wanted a Kindle , a white one, but not sure if that could be a nice wedding anniversary gift or not. The comment was not given while talking about our anniversary, by the way.

Any opinions? I will make it a poll, so will be easier to evaluate. And hopefully a lot of female users will vote or comment too... that would help ...
Okay speaking form experience, no matter what you do, it's the wrong answer...

Some wives are subtle about the topic of gives some are not. My wife is, so if she talked about something she liked it is a subtle hint that that is what she wants.

I made the mistake of enquiringly about the nookColor, my intended Christmas gift to her. She didn't seem interested in it so I didn't buy her one. She misread the queue and thought I was interested in one so she ends up buying one for me.

Love the nook now, but I was not interested in one at the time.

I digress, the point I think that would be a good gift for her considering she expressed interest in it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I would love it if my husband bought me any sort of reader as an anniversary gift - even though I have two (or three, depending on whether or not you include the iPad).

I think that the Kindle is a great idea, and that your wife will love her present.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have to disagree with UCFgrad93. Tech gifts are awesome if the recipient likes tech stuff... gender really isn't a factor.

My husband bought me a Kindle 3G for Valentine's Day this year. Love it!

Electronics are only a problem when it's secretly something for yourself. As long as you're not planning on "borrowing" the Kindle (and it's something that your wife will actually use), I think it'll be great. Maybe as an added romantic gesture have it preloaded with poetry?
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I think it's a good gift. I would much rather have a new graphics card for my PC than some flowers. It will always depend on the girl.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
As long as its not your 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th etc, it is a great gift!
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i love getting tech as gifts
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I think it's a good gift. I would much rather have a new graphics card for my PC than some flowers. It will always depend on the girl.
Oh absolutely agree there. I am a bit of a techy guy and for gifts I love gadgets and do-dads, but my wife whilst she can appreciate such items, does not want to receive them as gifts for special occasions.

So the OP is in a tight pickle, if his wife loves technology buying her a Kindle will be a smart move, but if she isn't that much into technology and toys....well he might be in trouble just as much as if he didn't buy her anything.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
First off, I freely admit that I'm kind of bad at picking up social cues sometimes.

But it seems to me that since your wife has mentioned that she'd like to have a Kindle specifically, with the particular colour she wants also specified, within recent weeks, even if there's no anniversary mention to go with it, it might be A Hint.

If nothing else, you now know that it's something she actually wants.

If you think perhaps this is not romantic enough for an anniversary or that she might think it's not romantic enough and wants jewelry/a spa vacation or whatever, then maybe you could fancy it up with a candlelit dinner (home-cooked or restaurant, depending on your budget) in which you present the nicely-wrapped Kindle.

If she makes another mention of wanting the Kindle in future conversations, then I'd say it's safe to say that it's definitely A Hint and you should get her one.

If not, you could always try and ask her friends if she's mentioned anything to them about any expectations/hopes she might have regarding the anniversary and adjust your plans accordingly.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@soli: i don't get that notion of "being in trouble"? why? a gift comes from the heart, and it was nice of him to get her gifts. even if it turned out to be something she may not like, wouldn't it be rude to say so? o:
Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I agree, it really depends on your wife. Some women dislike tech/practical items and want the romantic items, others would prefer high tech. For Valentine's Day 2010, my beau bought me diamond earrings. It's been 16 mos and the only time I've worn them was that night, when we went to Valentine's Day dinner.

For Xmas 2010, he gave me an iPad. For my birthday in January 2011, he gave me a 42" LG HDTV w/networking and for Valentine's Day 2011, he gave me a Weber Genesis grill. I think he caught on. He already knows that I'll take a house, with a pool, covered by a screened enclosure, over a ring any day of the week!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard

@sol: nice gifts