Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #31
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
HA! THAT'LL teach you to start a thread and leave.......
Yes, that'll teach me for succumbing to the lure of sleep - aah, the pains of these squishy vassals they call 'humans'.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #32
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSpalding View Post
Don't worry MrPLD, you're just experiencing the joy that is a community of independent authors with fragile egos, constantly seeking validation and green-eyed with jealousy any time they read a bit of prose that just might be better than their stuff
Aah, I remember reading that "highly positive" review of your book recently - I think the dear fellow was in his own right trying to emulate your concept of writing an epic in a single sitting If I had received something like that I think it would have taken me half a day to pull my eyelids down from the "What the HELL?" wide-open position.

Paul.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #33
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Aah, I remember reading that "highly positive" review of your book recently - I think the dear fellow was in his own right trying to emulate your concept of writing an epic in a single sitting If I had received something like that I think it would have taken me half a day to pull my eyelids down from the "What the HELL?" wide-open position.

Paul.
Actually it took me 5 minutes plus one poop break. I've been getting emails and private messages saying I should write a book someday and the review is already in "legendary" status and my blog got almost 2,000 hits in about a week and I only just started the site and people are actually requesting me to review them. LOL

Hold on, I need to take another poop break.

BTW, answer my PM to you and tell me more about this "arguing with writers" issue you've been struggling with. As I told you, I think it sounds funny.

Last edited by jamesread; 09-23-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: "Digital Spotlight"
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #34
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

What... what the hell... my response was to NickSpalding - now I'm confused.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #35
jamesread
Banned

Quote:
What... what the hell... my response was to NickSpalding - now I'm confused.
Tell me about your story. PM or here.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #36
jamesread
Banned

Better yet, I'll review your book for the world to see. LOL
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #37
jamesread
Banned

Quote:
Okay, I'm new to this game, only been helping my lovely wife get her book(s) out to the world for a couple of months and I've only been here on the forums for a few days, but tell me I'm wrong in that I can see that I'll be butting-heads with a few other authors/publishers in the near future, even if I'm not looking for a fight.

What is it about some people that they seem so full of insecurity, bile and bitterness that they have to stomp their ground, puff their chest and snarl when they put down their opinon; staking an immediate claim of superiority on all fronts even when no one was making such stakeouts.

Really people... we're all here for a common thing, to share our works with the world and to hopefully make a living off it. People can read more than just one book, so it's not like another publisher/author is going to steal that sale.

You sound kind of paranoid. Nobody has said anything bad to you yet, so what are you talking about?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #38
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

It's more a thread about the behaviour of humans, or rather perhaps more widely, organisms. I titled the thread as such to give the discussion a tighter focus and make it relevant to the primary topic of the forum group.

The catalyst was a discussion I had on an entirely different forum. While I have had (very) mild encounters here in MR already they have all been in the realm of civil and subsequently justified with additional background data.

Paul.

PS, it's important to note that I'm not an author. I'm a pet-geek to an author.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #39
jamesread
Banned

That sounds reasonable enough. It's just that you put the word "fun" in your thread title. I thought you were joking. So what's your wife's book about? Is it like a series?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSpalding View Post
Don't worry MrPLD, you're just experiencing the joy that is a community of independent authors with fragile egos, constantly seeking validation and green-eyed with jealousy any time they read a bit of prose that just might be better than their stuff

This of course holds true for every creative art form. You should get in the middle of a bunch of wannabee actors sometime, it makes writers all look like the souls of decorum.
Yeah, you should hang out with poets sometime.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #41
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Poets are just too witty for me. I get left standing there feeling like a dunce as they laugh around me.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #42
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah, you should hang out with poets sometime.

Oi !

Quote:
Poets are just too witty for me. I get left standing there feeling like a dunce as they laugh around me.
Not that any would do such a thing ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #43
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
What is it about some people that they seem so full of insecurity, bile and bitterness that they have to stomp their ground, puff their chest and snarl when they put down their opinon; staking an immediate claim of superiority on all fronts even when no one was making such stakeouts.
and have you discovered the answer to this question whilst you've been in and out of the forums here on mobileread?
if you have, please let us know and some of us can continue to avoid those more awkward discussions where black is so vividly black and white so pure that between them are allowed no shades of grey whatsoever.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #44
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

If I manage to make such a ground-breaking discovery I'll be sure to pen it first before letting the world know

In the meantime I suppose we'll have to work in the shades of grey.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #45
cbaehr
Enthusiast
cbaehr began at the beginning.

Device: mac, kindle
Suppose Pianos had just been invented and Beethoven had to promote "Ode to Joy."

I just read a plea by a Kindle user that said something like: "Please, please, stop all the self-promotion by the authors." I feel deeply for her/him and sympathize. Imagine if, when pianos were first invented, Beethoven and Chopin started posting about the "Ode to Joy" or the "Moonlight Sonata" and begging you to give them a go. Well, you wouldn't call them National Treasures, that's for sure. I have to apologize to all of the "readers" for our shameless self-promotion and for getting on their nerves. The best I can do is try to entertain you a bit in my posts.
Thank you for reading.
Consuelo Saah Baehr
http://www.amazon.com/Consuelo-Saah-...ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Last edited by cbaehr; 11-28-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: more information
cbaehr is offline   Reply With Quote