Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2016, 05:40 AM   #211
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
So... out of 197 image files in the img folder, only 32 are used. 165 files can be removed. (I'm down to less than 200 MB on my PW1.. So these things help! )

EDIT: Actually only 31, not 32, since shift key image is used twice. So, that means 166 files are redundant.

Maybe, it would more convenient to have the rotation setting in kterm.conf... if it's not too difficult to code..?

Kterm not starting with hidden keyboard? Maybe useful only rarely. Not a serious bug.

Last edited by nasser; 10-01-2016 at 09:39 AM.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #212
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Kterm not starting with hidden keyboard? Maybe useful only rarely. Not a serious bug.
If you use it to launch midnight commander can be useful
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #213
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
So... out of 197 image files in the img folder, only 32 are used. 165 files can be removed. (I'm down to less than 200 MB on my PW1.. So these things help! )
- - - -
Two bits of technical trivia on that:

*) Check the /documents directory, you may have accidentally stored a book (for reading) on the Kindle. (I understand that some people do use Kindles to read e-books.)

*) There is a thread here by someone that installed a double the factory capacity (8Gbyte) eMMC in their Kindle.
Note: Takes special tools and special skills.

Last edited by knc1; 10-01-2016 at 09:11 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #214
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Two bits of technical trivia on that:

*) Check the /documents directory, you may have accidentally stored a book (for reading) on the Kindle. (I understand that some people do use Kindles to read e-books.)

*) There is a thread here by someone that installed a double the factory capacity (8Gbyte) eMMC in their Kindle.
Note: Takes special tools and special skills.
Yeah, right! I accidentally am storing a raft of books in /documents.. I know i'll read them some day..

Opening up the Kindle and soldering an eMMC is way, way beyond my league...

Anyway, one good turn deserves another.. How about these suggestions to reclaim space on the Kindle?
  1. Delete the Language files which are not required?
  2. Delete the other language Kindle UGs not required?
The above will increase the free space on the "non-USB visible" area of the Kindle. So could we use that? For storing books, add-ins, etc.?
Old 10-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #215
nasser
Evangelist

Kterm v2.1 verified as working on PW3 and KT3!
Advert
Old 10-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #216
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

#1 & #2 - -
The Kindle **should** download those 'on demand' -
But I haven't checked in ages, so keep a local archive of whatever you decide to remove.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #217
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
The problem was probably with proper terminfo missing on Paperwhites. Now I provide bundled copy with kterm 2.
Maybe similar reason for the top command not working. See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=198

Now top works!
Old 10-02-2016, 03:46 AM   #218
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
In the bundled config that I tested on Kindle Touch I left only few image labels. For most keys I use normal text labels. I have no idea how it will look on Paperwhite (or if it will start at all as there were some problems with different libraries). I will be glad to hear any feedback on that.
If there is a need for separate layout for different Kindles I suggest to start customizations with the bundled one, not any of the old hacked layouts.
The 31 key image labels used by the new Kterm version look OK on 600x800, 167 ppi kindles. But on higher resolution models (758x1024, 212ppi; 1072x1448, 300ppi) they look tiny.

So I've resized these 31 image files to 126% (for 212 ppi kindles) and to 179% (for 300 ppi kindles). Zip files attached:
  1. img_600x800_167ppi.zip (for kt1, kt2, kt3)
  2. img_758x1024_212ppi.zip (for pw1, pw2)
  3. img_1072x1448_300ppi.zip (for pw3, kv, koa)

Tested OK on pw1, pw3 and kt3. They look better now(pw1 and pw3).

baf has included a logic in the kterm.sh file which checks the resolution of the kindle and selects the appropriate layout files. But this has to be updated for the 300 ppi kindles. And also, of course, all the 3 sets of image files need to be available.

For now, just delete all the files in the img/ folder and replace them from the zip file appropriate to your kindle's resolution.

Some before/after screenshots attached to show the differences. In the first image, the differences for a PW1 are shown. The 1st column shows the default, shifted and function key shifted views with the existing key images. The 2nd column shows the same with the new key images. The second image shows the same comparison for the PW3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pw1_b4_ft4.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	152089   Click image for larger version

Name:	pw3_b4_ftr.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	152097  
Attached Files
File Type: zip img_600x800_167ppi.zip (43.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: zip img_758x1024_212ppi.zip (24.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: zip img_1072x1448_300ppi.zip (32.4 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by nasser; 10-02-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added screenshots
Old 10-02-2016, 03:53 AM   #219
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
#1 & #2 - -
The Kindle **should** download those 'on demand' -
But I haven't checked in ages, so keep a local archive of whatever you decide to remove.
Content of /opt/amazon/kug/ from PW1:
Code:
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 de-DE
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 default
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 en-GB
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 es-ES
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 fr-FR
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 it-IT
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 ja-JP
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 pt-BR
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root          1024 Jun 12  2013 zh-Hans-CN

./de-DE:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        408796 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./default:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        270500 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./en-GB:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        304052 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./es-ES:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        375680 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./fr-FR:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        377776 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./it-IT:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        369488 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./ja-JP:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        352072 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./pt-BR:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        376360 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3

./zh-Hans-CN:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        346634 Jun 12  2013 Kindle_Users_Guide.azw3
So, looks like they're pre-loaded..
Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #220
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So, looks like they're pre-loaded..
Those are, they are from the Amazon image file.
Pre-loaded to make the initial set-up not depend on the download time.

Let me re-word my last post:
The Kindle **should** re-download those 'on demand' -
Old 10-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #221
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
That's true that unused images should be deleted from kindle package. I didn't do it because I wasn't sure about the layout on different devices. Now I see they won't be needed, should be safe to delete them.
There is problem with scaling images. The gtk on kindles is old and built without many functions. We can't use svg for example. Probably the best way now is separate set of images for different resolutions, as nasser did (thanks!). I only wonder that maybe we could enhance the images, because enlarging caused them seem blurred. If I have some time I'll have a look at correcting them.

For now I am attaching new kterm beta version (only binary to be replaced). It fixes launching kterm with hidden keyboard, it adds config/command line option for screen rotation (screen orientation will also be restored to initial value after quitting kterm), fixes flickering at start and some other minor issues. I used a bit different approach at screen rotation using dbus. I hope it will work on all devices. If everything is fine I will prepare new package soon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kterm-2.2-beta.zip (341.2 KB, 130 views)
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #222
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
Is it possible to add builtin profile/bashrc support in kterm, without modifying stock /etc/profile.
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #223
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
That's true that unused images should be deleted from kindle package. I didn't do it because I wasn't sure about the layout on different devices. Now I see they won't be needed, should be safe to delete them.
There is problem with scaling images. The gtk on kindles is old and built without many functions. We can't use svg for example. Probably the best way now is separate set of images for different resolutions, as nasser did (thanks!). I only wonder that maybe we could enhance the images, because enlarging caused them seem blurred. If I have some time I'll have a look at correcting them.

For now I am attaching new kterm beta version (only binary to be replaced). It fixes launching kterm with hidden keyboard, it adds config/command line option for screen rotation (screen orientation will also be restored to initial value after quitting kterm), fixes flickering at start and some other minor issues. I used a bit different approach at screen rotation using dbus. I hope it will work on all devices. If everything is fine I will prepare new package soon.
Tried v2.2 on PW1. Works OK.
  1. Some amount of keyboard re-sizing is still visible at start
  2. Screen rotation is now not persistent.. What is the kterm.conf entry to add to save this?

Regarding the key image re-sizing, I only used a plain vanilla imagemagick resize command to do it. Didn't add any post resizing enhancements.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:26 AM   #224
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucida View Post
Is it possible to add builtin profile/bashrc support in kterm, without modifying stock /etc/profile.
It should be possible to load custom profile by setting ENV variable (busybox sh should support it):
Code:
kterm -E "ENV=/path/to/custom/profile"
Generally if you just want to set some environment variables use kterm -E option, e.g.
Code:
kterm -E "PATH=$PATH:/some/path" -E "ANOTHER_VAR="xxx"
If you need something more complex you can also run a script in the terminal with kterm -e /path/to/script.sh option. The script should end with starting new shell, e.g.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
command1
command2
/bin/sh
Old 10-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #225
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Tried v2.2 on PW1. Works OK.
  1. Some amount of keyboard re-sizing is still visible at start
  2. Screen rotation is now not persistent.. What is the kterm.conf entry to add to save this?

Regarding the key image re-sizing, I only used a plain vanilla imagemagick resize command to do it. Didn't add any post resizing enhancements.
Thanks for testing!

I got rid of visible resizing on kt, I don't have pw, so I will leave it as is for now.
Config entry for rotation is orientation = U with possible choices of U, L or R.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator