Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
EPub printing?

I need something that prints EPub with page numbers. I tried ADE, and the page numbers weren't printed.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Your problem is that ePub (and MOBI) are not page-based formats. They're flowing text. Printed page references don't exist in the files. Sorry.

edit: Hmm. More thinking... Perhaps there are applications that will add a page footer when printing. I don't know of one. I checked Calibre's e-book viewer. No joy. (Sorry again.)

edit #2: You might have to import the ePub to a word processor. Ick.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 12-21-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When reading on the reader (a Nook, or viewing in ADE), I believe it is displaying the "reference" page number (the page number that gets displayed in the right margin on some ereaders). This is the "page number" I want printed.

Sometimes I need a paper print out for when I can't use my reader, and I want to be able to reconcile where I left off between the paper output and the epub.

Last edited by John F; 12-21-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm struggling to think of situations in which you couldn't use your Sony, but could use a paper printout. Isn't the printout vastly more inconvenient?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm struggling to think of situations in which you couldn't use your Sony, but could use a paper printout. Isn't the printout vastly more inconvenient?
So do you know of any printing software that prints the page numbers?
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Like giving it to someone to make annotations with pen/marker?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So do you know of any printing software that prints the page numbers?
No I don't, but if you could explain further your reason for needing such a printout, I'm sure that people could assist you in exploring alternate solutions to your problem.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I can think of one. My friend went to the embassy and no electronics were allowed for security purposes (that includes cellphones, too). Unfortunately, she only brought her Kindle with her. Given the long lines, she wished she had brought a paperback to pass the time.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
My friend went to the embassy and no electronics were allowed for security purposes (that includes cellphones, too).
Talk about a time warp.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No I don't, but if you could explain further your reason for needing such a printout, I'm sure that people could assist you in exploring alternate solutions to your problem.
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not looking for alternatives.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fair enough; just trying to help.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not looking for alternatives.
Not even after you come to accept the fact that what you're looking for doesn't exist?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Convert the epub to PDF. You can do this with Calibre, I think? Use Acrobat to add a header or footer with page numbers (Document > Header & Footer). I have Acrobat Pro so I don't know if you need the Pro version to do this.

MS Word will not open an epub file, but maybe Google Docs will? I don't know, I don't use Google Docs. But if so, you could use Google Docs to add a footer with page numbers.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If your ePub is DRMd, your going to have to strip that prior to doing anything else with it. Publishers don't want people printing their ebooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
But will those Acrobat page numbers line up with the ADE epub page numbers like he's wanting?

I believe he's ultimately looking for a way to alternate between reading the ADE ebook and the printed hardcopy—and manually "synchronizing" by using the ADE page numbers as a reference (bookmark).

But since those "page numbers" are manufactured by ADE (or whatever epub reader you are using) as it's being rendered, printing those "imaginary" page numbers would almost have to be a function of the reader that produced them. Either that, or someone would have to include ADE's page numbering algorithm in their 3rd-party epub printing software. Either way, I don't see it happening.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-21-2011 at 10:34 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote