Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
strange behavior

Noticed this last night and was wondering if it happened to anyone else...
I used calibre to convert a txt file that I've been reading to epub format to get the reader controls (bookmarks, night mode, etc). The first time I did it, I didn't like the margins so I converted the txt file again with smaller margins. I re-uploaded to the NC and wrote over the existing epub file. Opened the book and the margins didn't change (this isn't really the odd part).

Here's where it gets odd...
I've been reading the book and set a bookmark. I opened the Elephant Child for my daughter to read and afterwards, I used the top right shortcut to open the book again. When I did, the first page opened up and the bookmark was gone.

I backed out to the home screen and went into the library and opened the book through there and the book opened to where I was and the bookmark appeared.

I repeated the steps out of curiosity and when using the upper right shortcut again, the bookmark disappeared and the first page opened. And it reappeared when opening through the library.

Has anyone seen this happen to them? Any idea why it's happening?

TIA.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Yes, I get the same behavior when replacing existing books. I'm not exactly sure why it's happening, but it does seem to treat the four different methods of opening a book differently.

I find that if I delete the book, unplug, go to my library, plug it back in, and copy the book over, it seems to be better.

I have not tried this with B&N-purchased content yet.

In any case, an annoying bug.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I sideloaded a couple of ePubs yesterday then placed them in a custom shelf. Later I modified both ePubs in calibre so they would look better on the NOOKcolor, deleted the original copies from the NOOKcolor, then copied the modified ones over. I did all the deleting and adding of files via a PC connection. I changed the filenames slightly. After I disconnected from the PC the original ePubs were still showing in the custom shelf even though I deleted the files. I never could get them out of the custom shelf. I finally had to delete the custom shelf itself to get rid of them, re-create the custom shelf then add the newly modified ePubs. Everything works, but the file system seems kluge to say the least.

Also, I cannot add ePubs from the SD card to a custom shelf nor copy them to internal memory using the NOOKcolor, even though the User Guide states you can.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-09-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Thanks LoganK. That seems to have fixed it. I agree with you jswinden that it's a bit kludgy. I don't have an SD card yet so I haven't experienced that issue.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote