Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #106
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
How 'bout this: He saves the life of Howard Hughes, who gives him an experimental plane in gratitude!
Ooh. That's just strange enough to get me there.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #107
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
FInished writing my midterm papers!

(I fondly look forward to the day when I can return to at least attempting to write fiction.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #108
Jayne
Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jayne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Dried Blood

My first vampire novel Celic was published in 2008 as a tradeback. It's sequel, Vadas, was just published as an ebook with Wild Child Publishing. I'm now working on the third book titled Dried Blood. Also, I've just finished three short, short vampire stories Arom, StormRiders and Apples. All can be found at my website at www.authorsden.com/jaynewaggoner
Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #109
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've been working for a couple years on a werewolf-style story. Not a modern story, but more in the kind of horror popular around the late 18th and early 20th century. I'm having trouble keeping a "tone." Sometimes I write and I want it to be a straightforward turn of the century horror story, and at other times I take away the supernatural aspect and make it more "real" by explaining away the supernatural elements and simply relying on crazy people.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #110
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Now that the website redesign is up, I am beginning to record characters and notes for my next novel (not Skewered Lambs, I swear!). The story will take place around a city-sized satellite in Earth orbit, which is faced with the possibility of having to defend itself from those on Earth who are agitating to escape our ravaged planet, and may be considering desperate measures.

(All I have right now is a list of character-types and some really vague plot elements, so by the time I'm done, it may end up to be another Kestral story for all I know!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #111
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Just finished a story about immortals with an immortal passion never fulfilled, another about a girl and an alien who both want to escape earth, currently working on a short about a taxi driver who makes a surprising pre-dawn pickup on Halloween and finishing up the last chapters of the Mortgage of Ghosts. Busy, busy
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #112
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(See my entry above) I have finished my outline notes, and the story timeline (altogether 15 pages, trying to nail down the important points of the characters, setting and story breakdown).

Now I start fleshing out the characters, settings and story elements, until everything feels fairly complete and makes sense. Depending on how well I do at this step, the story may just start writing itself...

At this point, I cannot guess how long this story will be when finished. I can safely say it will be complex enough that it will not be one of my shorter novels. But as long as Evoguia, my longest to date (at 228,000 words)? Longer? I have no idea.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #113
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I was going to finish a story for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds that I've been wrestling with off and on for YEARS. This month, I was finally going to finish it!

And then I discovered that Strange New Worlds has been cancelled, and now my short story may as well be worthless fanfic.

So I'm working on my humorous fantasy short story instead. Any advice on where to submit it first? I was thinking of Jim Baen's Universe, but it's not the sort of thing they usually publish.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #114
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I was going to finish a story for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds that I've been wrestling with off and on for YEARS. This month, I was finally going to finish it!

And then I discovered that Strange New Worlds has been cancelled, and now my short story may as well be worthless fanfic.

So I'm working on my humorous fantasy short story instead. Any advice on where to submit it first? I was thinking of Jim Baen's Universe, but it's not the sort of thing they usually publish.
Duotrope's Digest as an up to date listing of short story markets: http://www.duotrope.com/
Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #115
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but the markets have been changing rapidly, and you can't always tell which ones like humor. Thanks for the market list, though; it's just that I was looking for specific suggestions.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #116
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but the markets have been changing rapidly, and you can't always tell which ones like humor. Thanks for the market list, though; it's just that I was looking for specific suggestions.
Ah, sorry I can't help you out on that one. I stopped subbing to short story markets a long time ago. Have you thought about releasing it under Creative Commons on Feedbooks or some other place?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #117
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Ah, sorry I can't help you out on that one. I stopped subbing to short story markets a long time ago. Have you thought about releasing it under Creative Commons on Feedbooks or some other place?
If no one buys it I'll self-publish it on Kindle or something.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #118
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

D'oh!
Any chance that the story would stand on its own, even without specific and recognizable Star Trek characters as part of it? If so, consider altering the settings and characters and writing it as wholly original fiction. (That's how I ended up with my Kestral stories.)
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #119
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
D'oh!
Any chance that the story would stand on its own, even without specific and recognizable Star Trek characters as part of it? If so, consider altering the settings and characters and writing it as wholly original fiction. (That's how I ended up with my Kestral stories.)
Nope, it's a sequel to a TOS episode. But I'll stick it in a drawer; someone will do a new Star Trek anthology in the future.

Novels are where the money is; my problem is that I'm so much better at writing shorts than novels. You have to fill *so much* in a novel... and yet it can't be just boring, unimportant diversion. You have to write pages and pages where essentially NOTHING HAPPENS yet still make it interesting. I've got a half-dozen novel outlines that I can't complete because they're not fleshed out enough. I *finally* made a breakthrough with my fantasy novel that has me thinking I can fill 200 pages or more, but I'm leaning heavily on the Hero's Journey tropes to do it. And it's frankly one of my less interesting ideas; I'd much rather write one of my other stories first.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #120
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You have to fill *so much* in a novel... and yet it can't be just boring, unimportant diversion. You have to write pages and pages where essentially NOTHING HAPPENS yet still make it interesting.
That's the wrong way to think about it. Those "pages and pages" can have plenty happening, even if it's just a discussion that clarifies a point that's past, or one that is coming up. That's not "nothing"... it's an important part of the story. And in periods where, in fact, nothing is happening, you note that and move (write) past it. If you need additional material to fill seemingly empty areas, develop a sub-story that can develop in parallel to the main story (and, if possible, dovetail together nicely at the end).