Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
shenuri
shenuri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Problem with THE Economists issues

Hi Guys, I've got a Kindle Touch with version 5.3.2.1

I've two issues of The Economist( 16th March and 21st March) in my PC in .mobi format. When I've copied them over to my kindle, I get to see only one issue (21st March one) and somehow Kindle *hides* the other or maybe I couldn't able to browse to it(the hidden one).

Now, if I delete the issue that I can read in Kindle, then I'm able to view the hidden issue. How do I get to read both issues without deleting the other?

And those .mobi are converted to .pobi files automatically. I don't know the reason but, I can read the issue clearly with no problem but only one at a time.

I kindly appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks
shenuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is something that you should contact Kindle Customer Service about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Isn't is normal for the Kindle to hide "previous issues"? I"ve never really used periodicals, but IIRC, by default, only the last issue is shown, and you need to manually access previous issues.

It might be by long-tapping on the issue, or it might be something called "previous issues" on the home screen, or it might be somewhere in the menu. I honestly don't know. Maybe the user guide can tell you more - or Kindle CS.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
No it doesn't actually 'hide' Previous Issues, merely moves them (the past 7 issues) to a different folder in the Home screen. You can get to them easily by simply going into this folder.

If it's anything like my Guardian and Observer subscription, you can indeed only have one issue in the Home screen at any given time -- any others are automatically shunted to the Previous Issues subfolder.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
shenuri

Thumbs up Thanks to everyone who replied :)

After reading the "Kindle User Guide", not actually reading the whole thing but searching for the keyword *Periodical* and reading the results, I got the answer.

I wonder any magazine to be called as "Periodical" is far too technical word. Anyway thanks to ixtab and terencek for providing me the keyword to look after.

It is called " Periodicals: Back Issues " which is a collection. Since I've got 13 pages of books to browse, that collection resides at the very end, which caused the problem in the first place.

Anyway, got my problem resolved here itself no need for CS.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenuri View Post
I wonder any magazine to be called as "Periodical" is far too technical word.
Not for a native English speaker: it's a very common word. It's not the fact that it's a magazine (which simply refers to its layout) that's important here, but the fact that it is a periodical (ie it gets published at regular intervals). Both newspapers and magazines are periodicals.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Except of course that if you email them to yourself, they cease to be periodicals, and aren't moved into back issues or expired. I cannot imagine what possessed Amazon to implement this misfeature: it's extra work on their part for no benefit to either us or them...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #8
shenuri

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Except of course that if you email them to yourself, they cease to be periodicals, and aren't moved into back issues or expired. I cannot imagine what possessed Amazon to implement this misfeature: it's extra work on their part for no benefit to either us or them...
And it costs to delivery the periodicals or even a book to my Kindle via email, right? I certainly agree with you that something possessed Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
but the fact that it is a periodical (ie it gets published at regular intervals). Both newspapers and magazines are periodicals.
You are quite right Harry. But I always tend to refer Periodicals as BIG journals which costs incredibly high and only scholars used to refer them via Universities or Libraries.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Just set the maximum delivery cost to 0.00 in your account... then they will fail-over to delivering via WIFI by default.

similar to choosing to send them to YOURNAMEHERE@free.kindle.com.

I vaguely recall there being some special case about periodicals but I forget the details... I always convert everything I want delivered to a "book" anyway. Which is almost never, but I digress.

HTH.

Periodicals merely refers to them being released over a (generally) fixed "period", hence the name. Harry is right. Well, he gets my vote

Last edited by twobob; 03-28-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: too many "merely"s
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenuri View Post
And it costs to delivery the periodicals or even a book to my Kindle via email, right? I certainly agree with you that something possessed Amazon
Only over 3G. I've never had a 3G Kindle, due to never having lived or worked anywhere with 3G in the entire time I've been using them, so I'd forgotten that some people get charged.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote