Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Margie H
Margie H began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Books appear on calibre library but not on kindle?

I'm stumped! Was easily tranferring books from calibre to my kindle 2 but suddenly came up with a communication error. Was prompted to download books by right click on "send to device" and selecting main memory. However only some of the books appear on the kindle altho they appear "on the device" in the calbre library????
Margie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie H View Post
However only some of the books appear on the kindle altho they appear "on the device" in the calbre library????
I do not have a Kindle and have never used a Kindle, as such my advice might be tinged with a touch of ignorance. Have you tried shutting your Kindle down and turning it back on? If that doesn't work I would suggest deleting all of the books on the device via calibre's device view then resending the same books to your Kindle as previously instructed and you will see all of the books on your Kindle again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I do not have a Kindle and have never used a Kindle, as such my advice might be tinged with a touch of ignorance. Have you tried shutting your Kindle down and turning it back on? If that doesn't work I would suggest deleting all of the books on the device via calibre's device view then resending the same books to your Kindle as previously instructed and you will see all of the books on your Kindle again.
The Kindle may need to be Restarted (not the same as turning OFF then ON). A Restart will initially show the Kindle Tree logo and rebuild the book list.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Kindle may need to be Restarted (not the same as turning OFF then ON).
As I said a touch of ignorance. But restarting / turning off then on is functionally the same thing on most devices. As long as the OP doesn't just put the device to sleep then reactivate it she should be fine.

Quote:
A Restart will initially show the Kindle Tree logo and rebuild the book list.
As will powering it off then turning it back on.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-22-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Walt - you can't turn off a Kindle; all you can do is reboot it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Walt - you can't turn off a Kindle; all you can do is reboot it.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I said a touch of ignorance. But restarting / turning off then on is functionally the same thing on most devices. As long as the OP doesn't just put the device to sleep then reactivate it she should be fine.

As will powering it off then turning it back on.
The Power button on a K4NT is really a sleep(lock) button.
There is a specific set of instructions when using the Kindle Collections PI that requires a Restart (from the Settings Menu).

My PEz the power button locks the screen. A Long (10 second) press powers it down (goodbye screen). Every device is different
Old 09-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

HarryT cleared things up.

Quote:
The Power button on a K4NT is really a sleep(lock) button.
Then it isn't a Power button is it.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
HarryT cleared things up.

Then it isn't a Power button is it.
But that is what the K calls it
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
But that is what the K calls it
Now I've learned more about a Kindle than I knew previously.

Thanks again for being specific.

Good Reading!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, actually, the power switch can do just that, be a power switch:

short slide/click: sleep/wake
longer (~7s) slide/click: poweroff
really longer (~20s) slide/click: hard reboot (via a short soft unplug of the battery)

(By longer I mean slide and hold before releasing for devices with a power switch, and press and hold before releasing for devices with a power button). (And this applies to eInk devices).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-24-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Fix (I had poweroff/reboot in the wrong order), add timings, and confirm that it works on newer devices with a button
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, the "hold for 7 seconds" is just sleep mode with a blank screen, despite the fact that Amazon call it "power off". You'll note that it awakes instantly from that mode; it doesn't boot, and that's the important point for this discussion: that the Kindle only rescans its library when it boots, not when it merely wakes from sleep mode.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@HarryT: Huh. It's been a while since I tried that, but, yep, just checked on my K3.

I'm pretty sure it's doing a proper shutdown on the K2, but, then, I was pretty sure it did on the K3 too, so...

Thanks for pointing that out .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote