Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
formacmeg
formacmeg began at the beginning.

Device: itouch
How to load books on giveaway Kobo without user?

We would like to raffle off some Kobo readers loaded with a couple of our new books at some trade shows but I'm wondering how we would load them without having a username already assigned? Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks
formacmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by formacmeg View Post
We would like to raffle off some Kobo readers loaded with a couple of our new books at some trade shows but I'm wondering how we would load them without having a username already assigned? Does anyone know if this is possible?
I assume you are publishers or authors. All you have to do is to
convert your file to epub and copy it to the reader. The most sim-
ple method is doing it by the hand. For mentioning "user name",
that post to be wifi reader? Nothing should stop you to load your
books to the device, even if you have no proper account for that
particular reader.
If I misunderstood the question, my bad.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
at worse, you could always just load them onto a small SD card and provide them with the kobo....
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
formacmeg

An SD card isn't a bad idea.

I wonder how they preload titles, maybe there's way to do that?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formacmeg View Post
An SD card isn't a bad idea.

I wonder how they preload titles, maybe there's way to do that?

just copy the epub book over to the sdcard and that's it. once inserted into any kobo it will automatically be detected and loaded...

it's really that simple with the kobo itself. copy the epub file over to the kobo's directory (anywhere literally) and kobo will detect it. but if you don't want to take the kobo out of the box, then the SD Card is the way to go.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
An SD card is really the simplest solution. The ebooks have to be in epub format without DRM. You can load the epubs, without DRM, onto a new Kobo without setting up a user (I have done this). You do have to go through the initial setup on the Kobo (set the date and time, etc.), and you may have to charge the Kobo for a few hours.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
it's really that simple with the kobo itself. copy the epub file over to the kobo's directory (anywhere literally) and kobo will detect it.
But..... won't you loose the new user experience if you copy the file onto the Kobo.. What I mean is that on both the original and the new Kobo, when the owner first gets it they are prompted through a setup procedure that includes time zone, and for the WiFi unit includes setting up for the shop.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But..... won't you loose the new user experience if you copy the file onto the Kobo.. What I mean is that on both the original and the new Kobo, when the owner first gets it they are prompted through a setup procedure that includes time zone, and for the WiFi unit includes setting up for the shop.

hence the "but if you don't want to take the kobo out of the box, then the SD Card is the way to go." after the part you quoted .

I hate to admit but I'm one of those people who usually will open gifts I've bought for family members to test things to make sure they work and they have the best experience as possible; the wife believe I do it because I want to play with the toys before they do...she just doesn't understand me *sigh*
Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Lol. I intentionally removed the SD card part

I do think including the books either on SD card or a seperate CD / Mini CD / URL would be the best approach; just to ensure that in case (for any reason) of a system reset, teh books are not lost.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
formacmeg

I think we're going to go the SD card route, thanks for the help!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
I would just put the book(s) on a CD. It's a lot cheaper than an SD card.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
If you are willing to give away unencrypted versions of the ePub, then just drag and drop onto the device when it's connected to the computer.

If not, you'll have to authorize the device in SOME way, i.e. either associate it with a Kobo account and download the Kobo book or authorize with an Adobe account to load the encrypted ePub.

At least those are the ways I can think of.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
2652catz
kik11e
2652catz began at the beginning.

Device: vox,kobo,kobo wi fi, kobo touch,pad devices by samsung and toshiba
You means somebody still works at KOBO?
2652catz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2652catz View Post
You means somebody still works at KOBO?
Considering how much time Kobo employees (often on their own time) spend on this forum, that remark was pretty darn amazing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Considering how much time Kobo employees (often on their own time) spend on this forum, that remark was pretty darn amazing.
I'll second that.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote