Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
drumknott
drumknott began at the beginning.

Device: no idea...
Why does it have to be so complicated? (Good reader for PDF's)

Hello everybody, it's nice to be on this forum.

I live in Germany and, ever since I saw the Sony PRS-505 in a bookstore a few weeks ago, I have been wanting one. An ebook reader seems a very practical solution for me because I don't have so much room for books and I'm tired of always selling my used books on eBay. But, to make a long story short, I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the ebook formats available.

I know PDF isn't probably the best format for a reader but I have a lot of books and documents in PDF format and converting them just doesn't do it for me. I've converted a sample PDF to word and then it's been a lot of work until I managed to manually format the document so that I can convert it to epub in calibre (manually removing each page number, removing hyphens, etc). I would really like to find a reader on which I can just read my PDF's without all this hassle of converting and formatting. The IREX iLiad book edition seems to be the best choice but I just can't afford to pay 550€ or more. Also, here in Germany, we don't have so much variety when it comes to choosing a reader. The txtr is supposed to become available next month but it still has the same screen size as the PRS-505 and I don't know if it would be a solution for me.

I haven't been able to test my PDF's (resolution of about 595x842 pixels) on any reader because I don't own one yet but from what I've read on this forum, they can't really be read on the PRS-505.

So, my question is: could you recommend any readers for PDF documents that are not formatted for the Sony reader?

Thank you!

Alex
drumknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If you post a sample PDF, someone with a Sony could try & capture some images of it in use, but other than a Kindle DX (which isn't out in Europe yet) it's probably the best option at the moment.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle DX has demonstrated that a 9.7" EInk screen is large enough to display PDFs without doing much beyond trimming margins and adding a landscape mode. There are going to be many large screen EInk devices available by the spring of next year, and they are going to cost significantly less than $500. Note that the enTourage eDGe has an 9.7" Wacom touch EInk screen and a 10" LCD screen and it will cost $490.

It is possible that 8" screens are also "good enough". The first real test of this will be the DR800SG, which I expect to get cheaper by the time it is introduced in Europe next year.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
drumknott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
If you post a sample PDF, someone with a Sony could try & capture some images of it in use, but other than a Kindle DX (which isn't out in Europe yet) it's probably the best option at the moment.
Here's a sample, if anyone can help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Kindle DX has demonstrated that a 9.7" EInk screen is large enough to display PDFs without doing much beyond trimming margins and adding a landscape mode. There are going to be many large screen EInk devices available by the spring of next year, and they are going to cost significantly less than $500. Note that the enTourage eDGe has an 9.7" Wacom touch EInk screen and a 10" LCD screen and it will cost $490.

It is possible that 8" screens are also "good enough". The first real test of this will be the DR800SG, which I expect to get cheaper by the time it is introduced in Europe next year.
So it seems the best option would be to wait a little longer. And I was hoping to get one for Christmas...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MD.pdf (51.7 KB, 603 views)
Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Here it is on a Sony PRS-300 (which is only a 5" screen).

In portrait mode, the text was too tiny to read easily. Viewing it in landscape mode: The text size is small, but it's readable.

On medium text size in portrait mode: There are some problems with the formatting as you can see:
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
drumknott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikelet View Post
Here it is on a Sony PRS-300 (which is only a 5" screen).

In portrait mode, the text was too tiny to read easily. Viewing it in landscape mode: The text size is small, but it's readable.

On medium text size in portrait mode: There are some problems with the formatting as you can see:
Thank you! So it is possible.

Tags
epub, irex iliad, pdf, sony prs-505, txtr