Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #31
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Getting the telnetd off of debian...
The i386 version of busybox's telnetd doesn't need inetd, but the armel one does

Last edited by aditya3098; 07-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Getting the telnetd off of debian...
The i386 version of busybox's telnetd doesn't need inetd, but the armel one does
If it needs inetd, then it isn't telnetd its telnet.
I noticed that in your earlier post, was not sure if that was a typo or not, since you evidently have to pay for each character you type.

telnet: The client
telnetd: The server

inetd: The "super server"
I.E: Starts other programs "on demand"

telnetd, from any provider, will run either as a daemon (the: d) A.K.A: a "service" or may be started on-demand (by inetd or similar).
It only depends on how you configure it, not the arch its built for.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #33
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I put the busybox binary in /mnt/us and ran /mnt/us/busybox telnetd and it gave some error and aborted.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I put the busybox binary in /mnt/us and ran /mnt/us/busybox telnetd and it gave some error and aborted.
What did strace have to say?
Did you use a copy of busybox built so that it can be moved from /bin?
What busybox?
From where?
As I posted elsewhere today - my crystal ball is off-line.
Unless you type enough characters to give a decent problem and question statement, don't expect much help from anyone.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@aditya3098: telnetd calls login (at least, busybox telnet does).

The telnetd bundled with the USBNet hack is configured to call the internal busybox login applet, which is patched to grant direct root login without password. You can rip it out of the K4 USBNet package.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
aditya3098
Guru

I got the busybox from debian (busybox-static for armel) and symlinked it from /mnt/us/busybox to /bin/busybox_custom, and most utils worked just fine. The strace said something about it aborting.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #37
aditya3098
Guru

The telnetd workd great, from the usbnet hack, and I found a bunch of other good stuff in there. But I can't figure out how to forward the port.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@aditya3098: What do you mean by 'forwarding the port'? Launching a second fg sshd on another port?

Code:
$(which sshd) -d -p 8888
?

Same thing on the client, ssh -vvv root@kindle -p 8888

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #39
aditya3098
Guru

forwarding the port for telnetd
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aditya3098: Still not sure what you mean, exactly, sorry ;D. The telnetd from USBNet doesn't rely on inetd, it's completely standalone. And it listens on the usual port (grep telnet /etc/services == 23 TCP/UDP) :?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #41
aditya3098
Guru

Sorry, I was just dumb. It works. And I think this stuff should be put in the kt's usbnet hack.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@aditya3098: Still not sure what you mean, exactly, sorry ;D. The telnetd from USBNet doesn't rely on inetd, it's completely standalone. And it listens on the usual port (grep telnet /etc/services == 23 TCP/UDP) :?
Perhaps "forward" is not being used in its technical sense.
It might well mean that the question being asked is how to allow in-bound connections to telnetd.
(Some router / dsl modems misuse "forward" in this sense.)

If such is the case, then the O.P. wants to know how to open port 23 for in-bound connections in iptables (firewall).

The best place to do that is in the iptables save file, so that the rule is set on every reboot.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Perhaps "forward" is not being used in its technical sense.
It might well mean that the question being asked is how to allow in-bound connections to telnetd.
(Some router / dsl modems misuse "forward" in this sense.)

If such is the case, then the O.P. wants to know how to open port 23 for in-bound connections in iptables (firewall).

The best place to do that is in the iptables save file, so that the rule is set on every reboot.
I did JUST that.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aditya3098: I'll probably start working on 'porting' the full USBNet hack to the Touch sometime during the summer, if upstart doesn't drive me crazy before then .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-13-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #45
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Sorry, I was just dumb. It works. And I think this stuff should be put in the kt's usbnet hack.
What do you mean by "this stuff"?

... Sorry if I'm saying it again, but generally, you should really try to be a bit more verbose in your posts, by including the context of your statements or questions.

(don't get me wrong: this is meant in a constructive way)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote