Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #31
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
Nah, most of us are still talking to ourselves. I think connecting with readers (who aren't pushing their own books ) is tough) and even doing reviews involves self interest and the hope for return.

I like what Year 0 is doing because there's a real idea of connecting to readers. Stuff is happening with publishing for sure and right now e-books are wide open. Maybe I'm being too cynical and sites like this where you connect and sell your wares are the future. Who knows?

You probably read about the guy who sold like 4 grand worth on Kindle and got a contract, by now? What I do think is that nobody, including industry insiders, knows what's going to happen.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #32
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
If I can sell thousands of copies of my book independently, why would I be interested in offers from traditional publishers?

Right now, publishers reckon they can pick up any author they missed who goes on to successfully self-publish. This will not always be the case.
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #33
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

I think in the case of the 4K author, they wound up offering a big fat advance. A lot of books still get sold in stores and much easier to get into them (especially chains) through traditional publishers. I'm here in part for community, but of course I'd like to sell my book. If someone offered me half a million dollars as an advance and I could spend my time writing new stuff, I wouldn't turn them down. (Hope that doesn't get me drummed out of Year 0). One thing that might change the game, if is stores began dealing with PODs as well and authors could market more directly to brick and mortar.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #34
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not saying I couldn't be bought for half a million; but most advances are a lot more modest. The publishing industry seems strangely unaware that it is entirely dependent upon writers.

I think it's going to be fascinating to see how it all works out in the next few years.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #35
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

UPDATE: 180 people have downloaded Remix with the coupon, and two kind people have paid for it. This response is better than I expected.

REMINDER: the coupon expires in a couple of days, on the 11th...but Remix will still be available for the price of an upmarket sandwich, $2.99.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #36
Marioninyc
Marion

This is deal folks. I'm not generally big on the amateur girl sleuth genre, but this is a page turner. And Lexi really created something unique with the rocking horse restorer angle. Cas is alive on those pages.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #37
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
...Why not give it a go?
I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for the book, Lexi. Looking forward to reading it!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #38
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Thanks!

REMINDER: today is your last chance to get Remix free with a coupon code. From tomorrow it will cost $2.99. Do not miss this amazing offer!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #39
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
REMINDER: the coupon expires in a couple of days, on the 11th....
I am glad I managed to get it.
I will give it a try as soon as possible.
Thank you.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #40
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I am glad I managed to get it.
I will give it a try as soon as possible.
Thank you.
No, no, thank you!

(Do you know you appear to have had a spell malfunction and turned yourself into a vaguely humanoid-looking computer?)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #41
Marioninyc
Marion

I'm enjoying the read and will post a review when I'm done.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #42
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I'm getting a little bogged down in all the Britishisms, to be honest I may try again later. Once camp is done, I'll be in a better mindframe for something a little more challenging.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #43
Marioninyc
Marion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I'm getting a little bogged down in all the Britishisms, to be honest I may try again later. Once camp is done, I'll be in a better mindframe for something a little more challenging.
Ha! I actually have the opposite view. I like reading British novels and sometimes even novels in translation because I like the foreigness. It's travel through literature. It's funny, because I just passed the part in Remix where the heroine describes her breakfast which includes toast with beans. Actually doesn't sound bad, but not something we'd think of in the US. It reminded me of staying a hostel in London years ago and fried bread too.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #44
Lexi Revellian
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
ficbot, message me a list of any expressions you don't get, and I'll translate. I think most of them are self-explanatory. I remember reading Pollyanna, Little Women and What Katie Did and sometimes being mystified, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of the books. I still don't know what 'grits' are, but sort of gathered you have them for breakfast in America.

I did change to double speech marks as I know that's what is normal for Americans.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #45
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Lexi, I think I can figure most of them out, but I am just not in the mood for that much thinking right now. I am completely burned out on some work stuff and really ready for a holiday (and I won't have as much time for one as I wanted, which sucks). I just can't handle doing this much work on pleasure reading right now. It doesn't mean there is not a good story in your book---only that for me, it is not as 'easy read' as advertised, and it will probably keep getting pushed down the reading list for awhile in favour of some more easily digestible stuff.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compelling, easy read, feel good, free, page turner