Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thianliongpatpoh View Post
Well, I can manage to free my purchased .prc from drm. Since I have a jailbroken iPhone, I will try to ssh or iphonebrowser my .prc to the archived items folder, locally inside the iPhone. I'll test this theory on the coming weekend.

Update:
I managed to ssh my jailbroken iPhone - after installing SSH to the iPhone via Cydia. With an iMac, I opened Terminal, and ssh root@ipaddress. Then I go to the Kindle\Document\Ebooks and copy 3 free .prc from the other thread here.
When I open Kindle app in my iPhone, there are 3 covers for 3 prcs, and I can read them well.
Not yet the ultimate mobireader for iPhone, but iPhone owners can surely make use of Kindle for iPhone to store their unDRMed prc.
Using iPhoneBackupExtractor you can extract the eBooks from an iPod backup and then using the modification posed in another thread to kindlepid.py and the iPod's serial number as found on Amazon (don't use Apple's serial number as that won't work) and then use mobidedrm.py 0.05 to remove the DRM and have uninfected Mobipocket eBooks.

So how can we tell if a purchase is in Topaz or not before purchasing it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #17
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
You know, at first I thought having Kindle app for iPhone would allow me to purchase from amazon 'without' kindle reader ownership. Some if not most of kindle ebooks have cheaper price than other ebook formats sold elsewhere.
I was wrong. I gotta have Kindle reader to buy kindle ebooks, and this is not possible since I'm not in US.
So until then, I think I'm gonna use this Kindle app for iPhone to read .prc bought from fictionwise and mobipocket.com.
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #18
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
Quote:
You know, at first I thought having Kindle app for iPhone would allow me to purchase from amazon 'without' kindle reader ownership. Some if not most of kindle ebooks have cheaper price than other ebook formats sold elsewhere.
I was wrong. I gotta have Kindle reader to buy kindle ebooks, and this is not possible since I'm not in US.
So until then, I think I'm gonna use this Kindle app for iPhone to read .prc bought from fictionwise and mobipocket.com.
I was able to buy without owning a kindle? Is it only because you are not in US?
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #19
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
No Kindle required.

What is required is a US address and a gift balance and NO credit card for the Kindle account (and a Kindle account includes just iPhone users), OR a US address and a US CC on file for purchases.

Which may mean you need two accounts, if you also buy from US Amazon and send to your physical address.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
GhostWolf
GhostWolf began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Thank You!

Just got 3 of the books !
GhostWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #21
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Random House/Amazon has corrected their mistake. Settling Accounts Return Engagement: Book One of the Settling Accounts Trilogy by Harry Turtledove is now a free download. Those who grabbed the earlier mismarked book now only have to pick up the middle title of the trilogy.

Karen
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Red Mars is highly recommended.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #23
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Random House/Amazon has corrected their mistake. Settling Accounts Return Engagement: Book One of the Settling Accounts Trilogy by Harry Turtledove is now a free download. Those who grabbed the earlier mismarked book now only have to pick up the middle title of the trilogy.

Karen
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
Actually the In at Death title that was free for awhile was book 10.

Never mind. It looks like there are a lot of books in this series and settling account trilogy is only a part of it.

Last edited by lisreed; 03-07-2009 at 04:16 AM.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Actually the In at Death title that was free for awhile was book 10.

Never mind. It looks like there are a lot of books in this series and settling account trilogy is only a part of it.
Yeah, it's pretty confusing. This "trilogy" has four books; In at the Death is the fourth in the Settling Accounts "trilogy" (I thought it was the third when I wrote that). And the trilogy is a continuation of another series of six books.

So, I have two of the last 4 of a ten book series. Random House must think the last four can stand alone, though, as they put them on the "firsts" free page. I'll probably start there, since I don't want to pick up six books first to get to the free one.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
There is also a sony version.
Too bad it is a BBeB Secure file (LRX) instead of a LRF-file, so you can't convert it with Calibre to mobi (Yes, I tried )

A bit stupid for a free book if you ask me
You can get the drm free pdf from the suvudu site and convert to mobi.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
You can get the drm free pdf from the suvudu site and convert to mobi.
No go, the PDF's can't be converted eighter. They are also DRM'ed
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #27
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
No go, the PDF's can't be converted eighter. They are also DRM'ed
They're not drm'd and I converted one without a problem before getting on here saying it could be done. It was Settling Accounts: Return Engagement from the suvudu site.

I'm also able to open that one and His Majesty's Dragon on my Cybook, which doesn't read drm'd pdf files. I didn't download the other books.

I don't think I've ever downloaded a drm'd pdf, but when you get a drm'd mobi file you have to give your pid before downloading so it can be encrypted into the file. The suvudu pdfs are freely downloadable without having to give any information before you can get them. I haven't downloaded any other types of drm files, but I'm not sure how the files could be specific to you or your device when you gave zero information before downloading.

Last edited by cmbs; 03-07-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #28
cmbs
non-believer

ErwinOtten-

I use mobipocket creator, and it worked fine. http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp

Perhaps your pdf got corrupted somehow? Maybe downloading a new copy would help?

I just download the file, save to hard drive, open mobi creator, select the pdf I want to convert, select import, and it converts. The result doesn't have the best formatting, but it's readable. And you can modify it if you want to.

In fact, it would probably work if you just dragged and dropped the pdf into mobi desktop reader, library view, but the result isn't modifiable.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by cmbs; 03-07-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So, we finally has mobireader for iPhone? Does this mean that we owner of iPhone/iPod can start mobi2lzw conversion?
I thought Stanza is supposed to be able to open mobi files (and other formats).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I thought Stanza is supposed to be able to open mobi files (and other formats).
Stanza desktop does. But, it converts to ePub when you move it to the iPod.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote