Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
anguila
anguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of lightanguila is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
.epub version 3 support status?

Hello. I've read in the sigil wiki that EPUB 3 support isn't entirely widespread because it depends on manufacturers choosing which parts of the spec they want in their products.

So what's the status of version 3 support from Kobo? Does it change from reader to reader?

And if I was to create my own .epub file to test in my kobo e-reader (with whatever authoring tool) and had the option to choose output version, which one should I stick to? EPUB 2 or 3?
anguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo has 2 different rendering engines.
The first one is ACCESS which is used for .kepub files (Kobo's epub format: for books bought from Kobo store or regular epub which was converted to kepub using calibre plugin).
Kepub supports some of EPUB 3 features.
The second one is RMSDK which is used to handle regular epub.
The regular .epub will be handled as EPUB 2.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguila View Post
Hello. I've read in the sigil wiki that EPUB 3 support isn't entirely widespread because it depends on manufacturers choosing which parts of the spec they want in their products.

So what's the status of version 3 support from Kobo? Does it change from reader to reader?

And if I was to create my own .epub file to test in my kobo e-reader (with whatever authoring tool) and had the option to choose output version, which one should I stick to? EPUB 2 or 3?

Epub 3 support for Kobo ereaders (Touch or newer) is done by the ACCESS Netfront BookReader software which, according to ACCESS's web page supports pretty much the full epub3 specification. So far what I've found is that it seems to have some issues with some of the epub3 ebooks I've tried out which is somewhat similar to the early epub2 books where some rather strange code was used but most of the epub3 ebooks work quite well. The key to triggering use of the ACCESS code instead of the ADOBE RMSDK code is to rename the ebook to .kepub.epub before transferring it to the ereader.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
http://epubtest.org/results/ has results of epub 3 compatibility tests. The Kobo e-ink readers are the best of the e-ink devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kobo, support, version