Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Battery life 10 hours. Meh.
10 hours watching movies! thats much better than pretty much any laptop or netbook on the market and you say 'meh' looks like you have it in for it no matter what..

Black border has to be there for me as your going to be holding it in your hands so its neccesary and I dont think it looks BAD.

resolution seems more for print media and web use!
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hmm not seen anything that makes me want to rush out and buy one yet. It's just a bigger ipod touch so far with nothing wow about it - maybe they're leaving the best till last though.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
So far on the Gizmodo blog Jobs states, "So that's what the iPad can do." and I noticed that there had not been any demo in regards to ebooks yet.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

will run ALL iphone apps out of the box.

Kindle is already on the iPad.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
10 hours watching movies! thats much better than pretty much any laptop or netbook on the market and you say 'meh' looks like you have it in for it no matter what..

Black border has to be there for me as your going to be holding it in your hands so its neccesary and I dont think it looks BAD.

resolution seems more for print media and web use!
You're paranoid, why would I have it in for a device? That's absolutely ridiculous. And it's neither a laptop nor a computer, so 10 hours isn't enough, not when I can get weeks on my e-ink device without even thinking of charging.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Some more specs:

0.5 inches thin
1.5 pounds
9.7" IPS Display
Full capacitive Multitouch
16GB - 64GB of Flash Storage
1GhZ Apple A4 Chip
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Wifi 802.11 N
Speaker, Microphone, Acelleromet & Compass
Battery life of 10hours? / Standby of a month?

Anyone know anything about the IPS screen?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
It depends what the 10 hours of battery life relate to - if it's 10 hours of wifi then that's not much of an improvement on my ipod touch - if it's 10 hours of 3D gaming then that's not bad.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Yep, if it can get 10 hours of video, that's damn good. I could never see myself using a tablet device 10 hours in anyone day, so I'd be very happy with that.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Was hoping for some handwritten annotation ability...bummer! Why does no one see the need for this!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
deleted for redundancy

Last edited by gastan; 01-27-2010 at 01:45 PM.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #26
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
You're paranoid, why would I have it in for a device? That's absolutely ridiculous. And it's neither a laptop nor a computer, so 10 hours isn't enough, not when I can get weeks on my e-ink device without even thinking of charging.
because your saying pretty much the longest battery life currently available on a portable device with HD resolution video is 'meh'.

It seems a silly statement as its not an eink ereader screen so complaining it doesnt have the battery life of an eink reader is like me going.

"oh the new kindle cant play HD video, meh"

"The sony reader only has 4000 page turn battery, my LCD watch can tell the time for over a year without a recharge, meh"
Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #27
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Anyone know anything about the IPS screen?
I don't know, but Wikipedia has this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...hing_.28IPS.29

Edit:

Also: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides...anel-types.php
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
...so 10 hours isn't enough, not when I can get weeks on my e-ink device without even thinking of charging.
But your e-ink device can't do color, video, internet, video games, full e-mail, can't do magazines or newspapers very well (maybe the latter if it's a large screen device).

Point being, this is a multimedia tablet not a dedicated reader. It can't be held to the same battery life standards as it does a ton more stuff.

If someone needs a long lasting device to read for hours on end, then this device (or any color tablet devices with current technology) aren't for them.

It's a thinner and lighter option that can replace a netbook for people who don't need to do a lot of text entry, that has a better form factor for things like reading than a netbook does. Not a replacement for dedicated e-ink readers.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #29
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
3G wasn't mentioned. I wonder if they are going to offer iPhone tethering.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #30
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Was hoping for some handwritten annotation ability...bummer! Why does no one see the need for this!!!

Pretty safe bet there will be an app for that

and you can get capacative styli so you should be fine.