Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Question about Calibre font subsetting

I have a custom font that exists entirely in the "Private Use Area" (Symbol Character Set). None of these are mapped to any character except in the Private Use Area.

When I used Calibre to subset the font (embedded in an epub), it deleted the entire font. In point of fact, at least 20 of these characters are used in the book text. Note that in the epub, I entered these characters in decimal: &#xnnnn;.

Is this because the font is mapped only to non-standard characters, or is there something else going on that I should search for?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Subsetting works by using the CMAP table (of type BMP) in the font, it maps unicode character codes from the Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP) to glyphs. If your font does not use a BMP type CMAP table to map unicode characters codes to glyphs then it wont be subset correctly.

IIRC BMP tables dont cover the private use area of unicode, so I doubt subsetting will work for such a font.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Thanks, Kovid, for the speedy reply. I expected it was something like that.

I will have to do it manually (it is a small font, no huhu!)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote